Does Calvinism require a higher spiritual intellect, spirituality, and...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by R. Lawson, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Luke2427 Active Member

How do you know? How do you know, according to webdog's logic, that you are just not way below the curve and the rest of believers around the world are exactly where they ought to be?

As webdog said, "I missed the memo where quantum was appointed spokesman for whether a believer is what he ought to be or not..."

And this britches thing, does that mean in your mind that there are no levels of spiritual maturity?

Was William Carey, when on the mission field, no more spiritually mature than the one year old in the faith Christian who is still cheating on his wife on occasion and not giving much to support the work of God at all??

After all they both put their britches on one leg at a time right??

2. Robert Snow New Member

Now you've gone and done it! When I stop crying I am going to call my pastor! :tear: :tear: :tear:

3. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ahhh, here is a tissue. I will call mine & they can duke it out :laugh:

4. quantumfaith Active Member

No, I am sure that some are "spiritually" more mature than others, but what I can say, is that there is not a person on this board qualified to make that judgement, you or me or anyone else. No matter how many seminary or bible classes we have participated in.

5. Luke2427 Active Member

No. I do not think it is. The verse is absolutely true. But that doesn't mean that few AMERICANS are going. It just means that few of the masses of mankind as a whole are going.

There is nothing in that verse that demands that ALL Americans not go to heaven.

America's population is about 300 million. The population of planet earth is almost 7 BILLION. If all Americans went to heaven who die in the next ten years it would be a drop in the bucket compared to those who die world wide. Even if a third of those who died worldwide were Christians and added to the Americans who all go to heaven it is STILL FEW comparatively.

So no. Your data is not solid because it assumes something that isn't necessarily so.

According to your logic you cannot say that most Americans are not saved. And that verse does not help you.

No, no. The dead have been raised before and as far as you know they are being raised everyday. Since you have no stats to prove otherwise you must base your conclusion that the dead are not being raised every day all over the world on SIMPLE EDUCATED CONJECTURE- the same thing I base my statement that the average Christian is not very spiritually mature on.

I don't have any problems with it. None at all. You do.
    Spiritual maturity is what we are talking about. I did not see that anywhere in the above lengthy and, imo, meaningless argument.

Then I will also declare that webdog does not know what in an American's heart or head, and doesn't know and cannot know what the "average American's" relationship with his Maker is.

Pretty simple, isn't it?

So is the evidence that Webdog is not divine and cannot know whether or not the average American knows God. According to webdog, you have to know every human heart in order to know ANYTHING at all about the current culture.

6. Luke2427 Active Member

I cannot judge that William Carey was more spiritually mature than the year old Christian who is still cheating on his wife and not giving hardly at all to his church to help further the cause of Christ??

The lengths to which some will go to stubbornly stand where they are most comfortable are often shocking.

7. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    After their all zipped up Im told.

8. Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "The Father's love is not for a few only, but for an exceeding great company. "A great multitude, which no man could number," will be found in Heaven." —Charles Spurgeon, Autobiography

9. Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinism is the fear of the Lord.

10. Robert Snow New Member

In which edition of the Aaron's Dictionary of English Definitions will I find this? :tongue3:

11. Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never said that. Not once. All Christians adhere to errors here and there.

However, it's hard for me to say that one can remain a non-Calvinist and be a Christian, because the disagreement is fundamental. It has to do with the condition of man, the nature of God and the Atonement.

Anyone who denies that, doesn't understand the debate.

12. Luke2427 Active Member

Not the same dictionary you use. You know- Robert's Dictionary of absurdity from whence you define idolatry and other baseless insults.

13. Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinism is a system of belief. It is the Christian belief. It is the doctrine delivered by Christ and the Apostles. Calvin and Luther were the ones who articulated it for the last four centuries.

14. quantumfaith Active Member

You are the one who is never ceases to amaze me with your brilliance. I am reminded of an old line from "Dirty Harry" (Clint Eastwood) You are a legend in your own mind.

15. glfredrick New Member

You guys (and gals) make me want to quit this board... :BangHead:

16. quantumfaith Active Member

:( :( :( :(

17. Luke2427 Active Member

So you are going to insult me rather than address the argument, right?

18. Old Union Brother New Member

:tonofbricks:

:BangHead:

:thumbsup:

19. Amy.G New Member

Well, knowing that God may not have elected you for salvation will sure put the fear in ya! I'll give you that! :laugh:

20. Luke2427 Active Member

Gl, I think you are sharp as a tack and very logical and I think you make great arguments.

But, brother, you get pretty rough on here, too. Keep that in mind when you get frustrated with others.