1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dr Jeffress and the Mormons

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Oct 8, 2011.

1. FundyPat

FundyPat New Member

Whoa... Someone needs to read their bible:

Further more, who are you to judge the man?:
    also...:

Just the word my brother, nothing offensive intended.

2. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

You think that saying "You're going to hell! You're in a cult!" is going to save Mormons from going to hell? Not likely. That's why we need to form relationships and share the gospel, not just get our silly mugs on TV.

3. FundyPat

FundyPat New Member

But calling a guy a joke and say he makes you want to puke is perfectly fine eh? :rolleyes:

Some of God's people should be seen --- and not heard. :BangHead:

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

+1 :thumbs:

5. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

WOW! Every time I think it is OK to take some folks off "ignore", they prove me wrong. Anybody reading your past posts will understand that you are a very liberal person and then this statement would not surprise anyone. Did you think of this while you were protesting on wall street?

6. WestminsterMan

WestminsterMan New Member

I seriously doubt if his statements on the matter will keep anyone from going to hell. He might, however, convince enough Fundamentalist/Evangelical Southerners to stay home on election day. So... which should we prefer - Romney (the Mormon) or Obama (who knows what)?

WM

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    and just what did DR Jeffress say at the end of the interview -

Oh yea - between Romney and Obama, I would vote for the Governor (not an exact quote)

Remember this was an interview with an newsman - AFTER the conference

8. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Yes, I do believe that informing people that they are sinners and are headed for Hell will help bring them to a place where they can accept salvation through Jesus Christ. Silly me for thinking that people need to understand what they are being saved from. I forgot that nowadays we should just make people feel good, tell them everything is going to be alright, then have them recite a silly little prayer.

9. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

We've reached a point in our "Pointless" society where noone can say anything

Trent Lott can't say Happy Birthday to an old friend

Hank Williams, Jr can't even use an analogy about Hitler

And Jeffress----though theologically correct---should NOT have said ANYTHING to the press----it will be costly in putting the right man in the Oval Office----though I am as theologically sound as Jeffress---I would have chose to remained tight lipped----you can be tight lipped to the press and still remain theologically correct----The Lord Jesus Christ was the most theologically sound person who ever lived------yet He chose to remain tight lipped in the presence of King Herod---see what I mean???

This thread would be better read in the Politics thread where many more readers/posters have opportunity to get in on discussion

#29 blackbird, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2011
  10. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Could this issue be the end of Romney for president?

Think about this,

The liberal press wants Obama to get a second term, they see blood in the water with this Mormon issue. What do you think the press is going to do? I believe they will push this issue with Romney and it will resinate with the evangelical voters and Romney's poll numbers will fall.

I know there are some here who say that religion does not matter to them when voting for leaders, but I believe there will be tens of thousands whom it does matter to, myself included.

What will happen if the press ask Romney if he believes Jesus and Satan were spiritual brothers created by God?

How can he answer this and not irritate the evangelical Christian community?

What can he say? Yes? That would be the end of him. Can he plead ignorance? I doubt it.

Bottom line is that Mormon's Jesus is "another" Jesus and thus is a false religion not to be called Christian.

I believe if the press pushes the irreconcilable differences between "Mormonism" and "Evangelicals" it will be the end of Romney for president. I don't see how he can put this fire out if the liberal press wants him defeated.

#30 steaver, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2011
  11. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

What you say makes a lot of sense

The liberal media has ridded us of Perry---over that frizzlin' deer huntin' club incident already---what else is there???

The liberal media can tear up a steel anvil with a rubber mallet!!!
    :tonofbricks::tonofbricks::tonofbricks:

12. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Cain may be the only one the liberal press can't touch. I'm liken Cain the more I hear him speak, at least he doesn't sound like a politician and I like that. But no doubt if he rises to the top he may end up with handlers who change him into one.

It's like those football games, when a team gets out in front with little time remaining they go into a "prevent defense" and 95% of the games I have watched in "prevent defense" mode the only thing they prevent is their own victory!

I'm an 80's - 90's NASCAR fan, remember when Mark Martin marched to the front and took the points lead? He was steady and fast week after week, he had only one race to go, only needed to finish like 20th place and the championship was his. What did he do? He abandoned the engine program that took him to the top and insisted on a Yates motor for the last race. Well, the motor kept shutting off during the race and he lost the championship. I'm not a Martin fan but I thought he deserved the championship for all his hard racing that season, but he shot himself in the foot, it was his own bad choice that did it, really it was a dumb choice. Anyways, I digress :laugh:

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I will tell you who I will vote for, neither A or B. First of all, A and B are almost the same when compared to the Constitution. Second, neither A or B wants to serve the American people, but themselves to our tax dollars and power to govern.

For those who have bought into the media myth of a difference between Obama and (you pick) Perry, Romney, Gingrich, and Palin, it is my sincere hope they will stay home on election day.

Regardless of what anyone says, being a Christian is a very important factor in who to vote for. The reason Romney is out is because he belongs to a cult, and has flipped on every social issue there is since Massachussettes. Gingrich is out because of his lack of moral character. Perry, like Mitch McConnell, is the consumate politician interested in his money and power. The reasons for not voting for Obama are obvious and require no comment.

Mr. Cain is more in line of someone I would vote for from a major party. I left the Republican Party last year after being one over 40 years, and belong to the Constitution Party. Notice I did not say McCain.

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Thank goodness. I do not think he should have been pounded for a deer hunting incident, but whatever gets a consumate politician out of the race is fair game. Maybe the American people are tired of being forced to vote for two candidates that are anti-Constitutional. I think three Presidents from Texas in a life time that damaged this nation is enough. (LBJ, Bush the First, and especially Bush the 2nd)

#34 saturneptune, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2011
  15. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Republicans that can be touched by a liberal press do not deserve to be elected.

16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

No, I do not think he should be using such phrases, and would never have someone like that pastor our local church. A Christian leader needs to focus on the Gospel. Really, why scream about the Mormons to a Baptist crowd? Who are you trying to convince? That is like a pastor that constantly bashes Catholics to his congregation of devout Baptists. What is the purpose?

Having said that, a candidate being a Christian is a very important factor in my vote, and that is exactly why Romney will never get mine.

17. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

More like far right,and IMO, does little to nothing towards telling others about Jesus. Each local church can do as they will, but this guy would never make it in mine.

18. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Really??? Whatever it takes???

Senator Robert Kennedy

Alabama Governor George Wallace

Whatever it takes???

SP----are you for real---or or you really a halogram???

19. WestminsterMan

WestminsterMan New Member

Perhaps we need more politicians like Alabama's Big Jim Folsom. In a TV Gubernatorial debate Big Jim pointed to his rival and stated: "Yes - I'm a crook, but at least I'll tell you the truth - my opponent won't." Big Jim won the election.

WM

20. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Emphasis mine. After reading all the posts of this thread, I find this one most troubling. What he said in calling Mormonism a cult is only possibly correct? Really? You mean that he was possibly wrong and Mormonism isn't a cult? Really?