1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Duggar Family

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

It is a definite misrepresentation to call natural family planning "the way of the LORD."

2. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Some pill formulations may at times be abortifacients, yes.

That doesn't make ALL pill formulations abortifacients. To say it does is just junk science coming from the quiverful movement.

I'm not a particular fan of the pill for other reasons, but there are times it makes good sense.

But if someone is worried about it after considering good science, there are plenty of other means that are not abortifacient.

And none of this changes the fact that pill users have fewer spontaneous abortions or miscarriages than non pill users.

We may as well deal with reality, not hype in either direction.

3. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not believe they deserve any more "praise" than other smaller families who are raising their children for the Lord. We are ALL to be good stewards of what God has given us, whether that be our finances, our time, our health, or our children.

If the Duggars do a good job raising their kids, great. If I do a good job raising my two children, great. I am no less a mother, no less a faithful servant, and no less a good Christian simply because I birthed fewer children. I'm not in a spiritual competition with Michelle Dugger and she's not my mentor as a mother.

I believe there are many Christians who happen to be great parents. They are overlooked because their families are small and don't happen to be on reality tv.

4. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Unbelievable.

In any event, BC pills are prescribed quite often these days to correct and regulate the cycle, from what I understand.

And how about couples for whom the wife's physical condition is such that pregnancy would be life-threatening? Should they just abstain from intercourse altogether?

This is simply a matter of conscience (thanks again, John Calvin). It is true that there are absolute standards, but it is also true that God calls different people to different places. If a couple wants as many children as possible, that's great, so long as they are able to properly provide. If a couple does not want a large family, there is nothing wrong with that, either.

Another issue that is common with large families is that children are often neglected, not by choice, but simply because there is not enough attention to go around.

5. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Outside of freeatlast needing to do more reading on who John Calvin actually was, one thing I think we can all agree on is that the Duggars faithfully live their beliefs.

I, for one, am thankful for their consistent testimony and desire to build God's Kingdom. :)

You don't have to agree with everything they believe, do, etc to appreciate their contribution to a positive image of Christianity.

6. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Baloney! This is a stereotype that has no true statistics to back it up. (you find some let me know) Children in one and two child homes get neglected all the time and no one blames that on family size. Family size is rarely the problem. Usually its selfish parents that are to blame, not the number, sex or ages of their children. :mad:

Since several member here have more that the typical one/two children(and one member that doesn't post here often but I know irl, has 8! gasp!), you've just insulted a whole lot of people for nothing more than the number of children they have. Just because you can't imagine having more than a couple doesn't mean there aren't those of us here who can not only imagine, but can follow up successfully raising bright, intelligent, children who are a glory to the Lord and a blessing to those around them. I'm raising 4 myself.

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "the Southern Baptist Convention commends to those married couples who desire it and who may be benefited by it, the judicious use of medically approved methods of planned parenthood" —SBC Resolution on Population Explosion

8. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Of course there are small families in which children are neglected. That has nothing to do with what I'm saying, anyway. My wife is actually from a big family in which the parents were very devoted and loving and great providers, but it was still very, very difficult. Also, she is a counselor who has seen that issue time and time again. It doesn't mean we shouldn't have large families - it just means we need to be aware of the danger.

Naw....anyone who is insulted because I merely pointed out the potential for neglect is just primed to take offense. I'm not insulting anyone. I think kids are great and if one chooses to bring a bunch of them into the world, that is wonderful as long as they can provide for their physical and emotional well-being. I commend you for doing that with your four.

Again, I didn't say this. I would love to have more than a couple children if God wills. There are just added burdens for large families in today's society that anyone can recognize.

Blessings to you in raising your family.

9. idonthavetimeforthis

Here's an idea - let's be thankful that a Christian family (Baptist by the way) is featured on a television show that is watched by quite a few people. When I think about how main stream television typically portrays families, I breathe a sigh of relief when thinking of the Duggar family. Maybe we should pray that as the show enters its 6th season that they will continue to be a Gospel witness before those they cross paths with while doing this show. And why don't we pray that they, our brothers & sisters in Christ, will raise their children for the glory of God, instead of criticizing the number of kids they have & whether we think they are spending enough time with each child. Just an idea.

10. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I'll tell you something else.

This idea of restricting the number of children one has CANNOT be supported with Scripture.

The Bible written over thousands of years spanning times of terrible war and famine and disease NEVER condemns the conception of many children.

Yet it DOES commend it numerous times with such statements as "Children are an heritage of the Lord..." and "...blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them..."

This idea of small families is TOTALLY cultural. I think it is something that Christians have allowed contemporary culture to press upon them.

I don't care if one chooses to have a small family, but they should not have the audacity to act like THAT is the MORE Christian way to live.

It most assuredly is not.

11. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Duggars seem like good Christian people. I don't understand how they can raise so many children, but they are doing it well, it seems. I have no problem with their decision to have that many children as long as they are providing for them, and they are clearly doing so.

12. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not everyone who has a small number of children "chose" it. There are medical, financial, and emotional issues to take into consideration.

I have not seen anyone on this thread touting that small families equal a more Christian way to live. Not sure where you're getting that.

13. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Amy, I agree with both parts of this.

14. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

I don't put down anyone for having children, whether only one child or 20 children... as long as those children are not exploited there should be no problem.

I am curious as to how many times they actually witness Christ in all their programs. I am currently listening to the first episode of their 17 Kids and Counting, where they are going to New York to be on the Today Show. They are heard singing part of the chorus, "Little Is Much When God Is In It" while riding in their bus.

In the 21 minutes it took the show to play (the DVD has no commercials like TLC does) there was no witnessing of Christ other than a brief mention of His name in the song I mentioned above.

In the second episode, there was no mention of Christ at all. It really makes me wonder if such reality shows are for self-gratification or what? And I do agree with Amy G. that I have a problem with the cameras constantly in the childrens faces.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, this is not really true because they are not taking into consideration fertilization of the egg and the fertilized egg not being able to implant in the uterus. The pill makes the uterine lining inhospitable to a fertilized ovum so if it fails to prevent fertilization, it can instead prevent implantation. Note that the plan B is just a larger dose of birth control pill.

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Can you support your accusations?

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Realize that they have no control over how the show is edited. Trust me - there is a lot of editing. My husband was in the audio industry before becoming a pastor and in a show like that, there was probably 10+ hours of filming that had to be cut to 21 minutes. Guess what they tend to cut out?

18. Steadfast Fred

So they cut out the witnessing and the show becomes nothing but exploitation and glamor. I see.

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not saying it happened but that it absolutely COULD happen. I've seen it before with friends in interviews. God is the easy part to take out.

20. Steadfast Fred

Jim Bob and Michelle refer to themselves as Baptistic in their faith. Yet they do not attend a Baptist Church. Instead, they hold religious services in their home.

I am not against home churches, per se, but wonder of his credentials in matters of the Baptist faith. Is he ordained? Has he attended any Baptist colleges that qualify him as being able to preach or teach the Word of God effectively?

Some may think I am trying to belittle the Duggar family, but I do believe these are valid questions. If not, then there would be nothing to stop anyone, new convert or old saint, from distancing themselves from fellowship with other believers and staying home... which could prove to be dangerous for some.

Scripture tells us to not forsake the assembling of ourselves together, so sometimes I have to wonder about 'home churches' that have only immediate family members as the only members of the church.

Is the home church valid if one is not learned in the Word? Is home church valid if there is no fellowship with believers outside of one's immediate family?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.