1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Easy believism.

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 37818, Dec 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Acts of the Apostles 8:13, 20-24. 'Simon [Magus] himself believed and was baptized. And he followed Philip everywhere............Peter answered, "May your money perish with you, because you thought you could buy the gift of God with money! You have no part or share in this ministry because your heart is not right before God. Repent of this wickedness and pray to the Lord. Perhaps he will forgive you for having such a thought in your heart. For I see that you are full of bitterness and captive to sin." The Simon answered, "Pray to the Lord for me so that nothing you have said may happen to me."'

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While Van figures out which version of easy believism he is opposing:

Some think it is wrong to refer to salvation as a decision. I have a pamphlet by James E. Adams that says so, Decisional Regeneration. I find that position patently ridiculous. The Bible is full of choices: "Choose you this day...," etc. The command "Believe" presupposes a decision to obey it or not to obey.

Zane Hodges has an interesting book on salvation, Absolutely Free! Here's a quote: "Equally objectionable is the phrase 'easy believism.' Presumably the opposite would be 'hard believism'" (p. 29). That sounds ridiculous, too.

What would "hard believism" look like? Straining and straining to believe, maybe "praying through" at the altar like the old timers talked about, straining and straining until you finally prayed enough (prayer is a work, you know) to arrive at faith?

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So am I to understand you believe salvation depends on man's will? John 1:12-13.

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did the Apostles intend to follow Jesus before he called them to Himself?

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did JOJ define Easy Believism? Nope of course not.

Easy entry into Christ is taught no where in scripture. An easy time after actual entry is taught no where in scripture. If entry were easy, Jesus would not teach many seek entry but do not find it.

It is not easy to trust in Christ alone and not rely upon our own understanding. It is hard to turn loose of worldly treasure. Recall the rich young ruler?

And once God puts an individual into Christ, rather than going with the flow, they stand firm for Christ, and that is not easy either.

Easy Believism is unbiblical false doctrine.

Proverbs 3:5 (NASB)
    Trust in the LORD with all your heart
    And do not lean on your own understanding.

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While JOJ avoids defining his view of EASY BELIEVISM.....
    He offers strawmen to deflect...

Easy entry into Christ is taught no where in scripture. An easy time after actual entry is taught no where in scripture. If entry were easy, Jesus would not teach many seek entry but do not find it.

It is not easy to trust in Christ alone and not rely upon our own understanding. It is hard to turn loose of worldly treasure. Recall the rich young ruler?

And once God puts an individual into Christ, rather than going with the flow, they stand firm for Christ, and that is not easy either.

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are we saved then by grace alone, thru faith alone, or not?

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Um, no. I asked for your definition. I can't interact with you properly without your definition. I could give you several definitions by different authors. Is your definition decisional regeneration? Lordship salvation? Having to pray for salvation?

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you believe God can limit His knowledge or not. :)

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are spot on there, please delete all you "improper" posts on this thread.
    While JOJ avoids defining his view of EASY BELIEVISM.....

My view:
    Easy entry into Christ is taught no where in scripture. An easy time after actual entry is taught no where in scripture. If entry were easy, Jesus would not teach many seek entry but do not find it. Luke 13:24

It is not easy to trust in Christ alone and not rely upon our own understanding. It is hard to turn loose of worldly treasure. Recall the rich young ruler? (Luke 18:22-24)

#90 Van, Jan 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke 18:22-24 NASB
    When Jesus heard this, He said to him, “One thing you still lack; sell all that you possess and distribute it to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.” But when he had heard these things, he became very sad, for he was extremely rich. And Jesus looked at him and said, “How hard it is for those who are wealthy to enter the kingdom of God!

12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it depends on Christs finished work on the cross, His penal substitution. Our response is irrelevant to what it depends on.

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, I have no idea what "improper" posts are meant.

My view is that really, there is no such thing as "easy believism" (though the views of some "free grace" authors come close). It's a straw man, so it can't be defined. Advocates of those views I've mentioned only use it to criticize. And since Van can't or won't define his term, I'm out of here. He obviously does not want to actually interact with me, and I'll respect that. :Coffee

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did JOJ claim he did not know which posts he had posted on this thread addressed to me? Yes - an example of the use of absurdity to defend banality.

Did JOJ claim I had not "defined" my term? Whose term is it. Look at the OP and thread title. On and on folks, on and on....

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My view:
    Easy entry into Christ is taught no where in scripture. An easy time after actual entry is taught no where in scripture. If entry were easy, Jesus would not teach many seek entry but do not find it. Luke 13:24

It is not easy to trust in Christ alone and not rely upon our own understanding. It is hard to turn loose of worldly treasure. Recall the rich young ruler? (Luke 18:22-24)

Luke 18:22-24 NASB
    When Jesus heard this, He said to him, “One thing you still lack; sell all that you possess and distribute it to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.” But when he had heard these things, he became very sad, for he was extremely rich. And Jesus looked at him and said, How hard it is for those who are wealthy to enter the kingdom of God!

1Co 16:13
    Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    "Act like men" seems to refer to the need to be courageous. Thus it is not easy to stand firm against the advocates of false doctrine.

16. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  17. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just got off the phone with one of the men at my small group Sunday School table. He's on oxygen and has other problems, making him vulnerable to the pandemic virus, so he's not coming to church right now. I call him twice a week, and today I heard his testimony. When they came to his house and told him how to get saved, he said, "That's too easy!" But he got down on his knees and trusted Christ as Savior. He's been faithful to church and the Lord ever since. It is easy to believe and thus get saved, if it is genuine heartfelt belief.

• Like Like x 2
  19. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Easy - Not difficult.
    Believe - To hold to be true.
    -ism - a quality of being.

20. lanman87

lanman87 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I came to this forum a few years ago then left for personal reasons but my circumstances have changed and I have decided to come back. I'm trying to figure out what exactly is being debated in this thread. Please forgive my ignorance.

What exactly is "easy believism"?

Is it "I'm saved because I said the sinner's prayer and no matter what happens the rest of my life I'm saved because I said that prayer"?

Is it "As long as I believe in Jesus then I'm free to live like I want to live"?

Is it "The Gospel is easy to understand and respond to in faith"?

Is it something else and I'm missing the point entirely?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.