1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Election And Predestination In Complete Harmony

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by tyndale1946, Apr 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bro, I'm not sure why you think everything is some sort of militant, "gotta trip up the other guy", argument. I'm just asking questions

2. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We show you links, give you the definition and you still want more.

What I showed you via the links and definition is my thought/belief.

3. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no idea what hate means or how God hates.

4. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ****sigh*****<-----your response

Really bro?

5. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, God will show His full hatref, His full wrath on the day of judgment.

To cast a multitude of ppl along with Satan and those who fell with him shows He does indeed hate.

6. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I gave you multiple answers and you kept prodding me.

My apologies for my frustration.

7. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God does not love, it is who He is.

God is love.

Now, because ppl violate His laws, He shows His hatred towards them.

8. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Totally accepted...I'm just asking simple questions. I don't live in your brain remember lol :)

9. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Really? Do you not read the Bible, Jon?

Psalms 5:4-5
    [4]O God, you take no pleasure in wickedness; you cannot tolerate the sins of the wicked.
    [5]Therefore, the proud may not stand in your presence, for you hate all who do evil.

Unless we are found in Christ, we are hated by God. Prepare for God's wrath to fall on those who imagine they can stand on their own, apart from being found in Christ.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Awfully small apartment. Cramped quarters.

11. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you hate me?

12. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Poor deflection, Jon. Have the courage to honestly let God's word speak instead of running away.

13. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you don't hate me, you sure have an odd way of showing love.

14. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    “For a brief moment I abandoned you, but with deep compassion I will bring you back. I hid my face from you for a moment, but with everlasting kindness I will have compassion on you,”says the Lord your Redeemer.[Isaiah 54:7-8]

Here is a prophecy concerning the Christ as He stood in the place of sinners. He stood just as guilty as if He had commited those sins Himself. He became sin, though He never sinned once. God, in His holiness & righteousness, treated Jesus as if it was you or I. He does not show impartiality.

15. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Before this gets too far out of hand let me state my understanding of the word that is sometimes translated "hate" in the English bible.

שָׂנֵא (saw-nay) means, in this context a foe, and/or to oppose a foe. When God is said to hate all those who practice iniquity it means He opposes them as one opposes a foe.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now, I really don't have time to "debate", But how is this not the promise of the return from exile of Israel?

Kinda weird to say this about Jesus....

Isaiah 54:4-5 Fear not; for thou shalt not be ashamed: neither be thou confounded; for thou shalt not be put to shame: for thou shalt forget the shame of thy youth, and shalt not remember the reproach of thy widowhood any more.
    For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called.

17. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    judges 12
    5 And the Gileadites took the passages of Jordan before the Ephraimites: and it was so, that when those Ephraimites which were escaped said, Let me go over; that the men of Gilead said unto him, Art thou an Ephraimite? If he said, Nay;
    6 Then said they unto him, Say now Shibboleth: and he said Sibboleth: for he could not frame to pronounce it right. Then they took him, and slew him at the passages of Jordan: and there fell at that time of the Ephraimites forty and two thousand.

Application(s)?

HankD

18. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus stood in the place of His ppl. All that He went through, should have been ours, but He took it on our behalf. I say this to show the context of Isaiah 54...

The Future Glory of Zion
    "Sing, barren woman, you who never bore a child; burst into song, shout for joy, you who were never in labor; because more are the children of the desolate woman than of her who has a husband,” says the Lord. “Enlarge the place of your tent, stretch your tent curtains wide, do not hold back; lengthen your cords, strengthen your stakes. For you will spread out to the right and to the left; your descendants will dispossess nations and settle in their desolate cities. “Do not be afraid; you will not be put to shame. Do not fear disgrace; you will not be humiliated. You will forget the shame of your youth and remember no more the reproach of your widowhood. For your Maker is your husband— the Lord Almighty is his name—the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer; he is called the God of all the earth. The Lord will call you back as if you were a wife deserted and distressed in spirit—a wife who married young, only to be rejected,” says your God. “For a brief moment I abandoned you, but with deep compassion I will bring you back. In a surge of anger I hid my face from you for a moment, but with everlasting kindness I will have compassion on you,” says the Lord your Redeemer.[Isaiah 54:1-8]

Now, it says that God abandoned you for a brief moment. Was that referring to Israel or Jesus as He was judged as a sinner who God had withdraw Himself from His Son? I believe the context here to be referring to the Christ symbolically. So, yes, you are correct in that this is referring to Israel(my mistake), but it was symbolic of the crucifixion of the Christ that was to come years later.

God forsook His Son during His trial and subsequent death, hid His face from His only Son, but He received Him back forever His Son.

19. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wouldn't enemy also be applicable?

For if, while we were God’s enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life?[Romans 5:11]

20. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And here is another verse in Isaiah 54 that shows this typified Christ's abandonment by His Father...

In righteousness you will be established: Tyranny will be far from you; you will have nothing to fear. Terror will be far removed; it will not come near you.[vs 14]

Righteousness by faith here, as it has always been.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.