1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Face Book.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by David Michael Harris, Dec 31, 2009.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I've also heard that employers will find out info from the social networking sites and use that as additional reasons to hire/fire people. If these kids only understood that.

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I've been using it for years.
    WHy are you accepting their friend request? I have 140 friends, all of them I know (some Christian, some not). I dont' accept friend requests from people unless I am reasonably certain I know them.
    I don't see how you can "dishonor the Lord" simply by keeping in touch with people via facebook.
    A.F.A.I.K., Never had a problem.
    The feed shows all posts by people who are your friends. That's why you make them your friends: so you can see their posts. However, if you see a post you have no interest in, just click the "HIDE" link on the right.

#62 Johnv, Feb 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2010
  3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yep. If I send someone a friend request who might not remember me (maybe someone from here who wouldn't know my real name or maybe someone from school who doesn't know my married name) I always include something like "Hi! It's annsni from Baptist Board!" That way you atleast can make an informed decision. :)

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You havent invited me :tear:

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Are you even ON Facebook???????? LOL

6. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I was thinking the same thing as Ann!

If you are on Facebook, then you need to let the rest of us that are on there know ;)

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Even his wife doesn't know! She states "married" but not to "whom". :)

8. Born_in_Crewe

Born_in_Crewe Member

I read a story recently about a teenage girl who got the sack for slagging off her boss on Facebook. She had forgotten he was on her friends list!

9. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

John with the dishonouring thing, I was thinking about casting our pearls before swine. My past was quite bad and maybe my old friends even worse.

??????

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I wouldn't worry about it. Let the Holy Spirit worry about them. Despite not being saved, if they're weren't people of value, you wouldn't have them as Facebook friends. Like in your life, just be the normal witness that you would be elsewhere. People will see your noble character on Facebook, just as they do in real life. And you might end up being the instrument that draws them closer to the Lord.

11. David Michael Harris

I suppose there is that John. Bit scared in the area I guess. Plus I don't want them blurting out the way I used to be.

12. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I smiled when I read this. I have often thought "no political offices for me - too much dirt that could be brought out" - and that is so true! I have FB friends from high school and college that could tell you some really ugly facts about me, thank God they keep it in check.

Can you imagine if we had to be judged by our works like the unsaved will be? I am so grateful that Jesus paid my price!!

13. David Michael Harris

14. Sminasian

Sminasian Member

I too, have had issues with people cursing and posting things I find offensive and dishonoring. I block everyone except the people I choose. Out of 50 friends, and to me that is a lot, time to delete people, there may be 5 or so that are not saved, practicing christians, but i know them in real life, and will keep them on face book so they may see my posts and" see" my Christian friends.

I like to keep my fb simple, and with as few people as possible. Every now and then I go through my list of friends and delete people that never post, or that I dont really know. No one can send me a friend request. I have to request them and thats how I want it.

Aside from that, just be careful with FB, sometimes it is " addicting" and can hinder our time with the Lord, one on One. When used to help further the gospel and keep in touch with family, it is a wonderful tool.

15. David Michael Harris

So true. I started my own social network, just for Welsh people though lol, so most of you are excluded... hehe

16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Facebook is amoral. How one uses it is a reflection of the heart.

17. David Michael Harris

Agreed. I think if you can use it to talk to your old friends etc it's great and keep the rubbish out, then no problem.

#77 David Michael Harris, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2012
  18. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Are you sure Facebook is amoral? Start here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Facebook - It's a long article with linked references to supporting documentation.

Is Facebook killing your privacy? Some say it already has
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/09/is-facebook-killing-your-privacy-.html

Chris Hughes (born November 26, 1983)[1] is an American entrepreneur who co-founded and served as spokesman for the online social directory and networking site Facebook, with Harvard roommates Mark Zuckerberg, Dustin Moskovitz, and Eduardo Saverin.
    -----------
    He was the subject of an April 2009 cover story in Fast Company magazine under the headline, "The Kid Who Made Obama President; How Facebook Cofounder Chris Hughes Unleashed Barack's Base - and Changed Politics and Marketing Forever."
    -------------
    Hughes is openly gay[4][13] and in 2009 attended President Barack Obama's first state dinner with his then boyfriend Sean Eldridge, Political Director of Freedom to Marry.[14] Hughes and Eldridge announced their engagement in January 2011 at a reception in support of Freedom to Marry. They married on June 30, 2012.[15]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Hughes_(Facebook)

Gay Rights Orgs Double Up
    Facebook cofounder Chris Hughes and his partner, Freedom to Marry political director Sean Eldridge, have a made a huge commitment to the nonprofit push for marriage equality nationwide. The couple will match donations made to Freedom to Marry, Empire State Pride Agenda, Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders and Equality Maryland for the rest of this year. http://www.advocate.com/news/daily-news/2010/11/29/freedom-marry-doubles

Gay Facebook Co-Founder Chris Hughes Speaks Out Against NC Anti-Gay Marriage AmendmentNot only did he write an open letter to the North Carolina GOP, but he also pledged to donate $10 for each person who "liked" Equality NC's Facebook page in support of the organization's work.

**** Where did he get the money to fund these activities?

Facebook and Divorce: Airing the Dirty Laundryhttp://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1904147,00.html

Potential Facebook addictionIf you're not quite ready for that, you could join one of the 155 Facebook Addicts Anonymous groups on Facebook itself - but that might defeat the purpose. http://www.addictioninfo.org/articles/2171/1/Potential-Facebook-addiction/Page1.html

Facebook cases trigger criticism of 'disproportionate' riot sentences
    Two men jailed for four years for posting messages inciting riots although no trouble resulted from them
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/aug/17/facebook-cases-criticism-riot-sentences

Dustin Moskovitz - Co-founder of Facebook (2004); world's youngest self-made billionaire (2012)

Eduardo Saverin - Saverin is one of five co-founders of Facebook,
    Saverin has lived in Singapore since 2009.[18][19] In September 2011, he renounced his U.S. citizenship; the citizenship change may reduce the capital gains taxes Saverin pays after the Facebook IPO, although his taxes may increase initially.[7][20] Saverin's renunciation of U.S. citizenship may result in his not being permitted to enter the U.S. in the future if the Ex-Patriot Act, which was proposed in response to Saverin's announcement, becomes law.[21][22] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eduardo_Saverin

Senators to Unveil the 'Ex-Patriot Act' to Respond to Facebook's Saverin's Tax 'Scheme' http://news.yahoo.com/senators-unve...ks-saverins-110209339--abc-news-politics.html

Facebook Crimes on the Rise, Experts Warnhttp://www.foxnews.com/tech/2011/08/11/facebook-crimes-on-rise-experts-warn/

These a few of the reasons why I don't have a Facebook account. FWIW, I've been following the activities of Facebook, Google, etc. for several years now. BTW, Google is no longer my search engine of choice, either.

Facebook is a gated community. IMO, the question is who controls the gate? Who gains from my presence inside the gate? While my activities inside the gate may be above moral reproach, can we say the same of those behind the scenes -- those who control the gate?

I believe in traditional marriage. Marriage between a man and a woman, as sanctioned by God. Why would I enter into an establishment co-founded by a homosexual who still owns and profits from stock in that establishment? And uses his profits to foster legal recognition of what God condems?

As a tax paying American citizen, why would I enter into an establisment co-owned by someone who renounced his citizenship?

Or one with a track record of invasion of personal privacy? Thou shalt not steal.

Or, one that leading members into more computer addiction?

Or, a place where criminals hang out to snare the unwary?

The list can go on.

I realize that many, including friends and family disagree with my position on joining Facebook. That's fine. God gives each of us a choice of what we do and don't do in this life.

This is one of the few places I can say that I'm truly separated from the "world", as I will not ask for permission to enter.

19. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You make a lot of good points. I use Facebook to talk to my siblings and keep up with my high school and service friends from 30-40 years ago. I only get on when I get an email tells me someone has contacted me. My total time is maybe five minutes a week. That is why I said the intent of the heart. For all of the objections you raised, there are filters to stop the situation.

It is kind of like the famous Baptist no on of not dancing because it could lead to an affair. If I have it in my inner being that I am going to have an affair, then dancing or not dancing is not going to stop me. It is the intent of the heart. Facebook is a software program, not a moral guide to life. The Holy Spirit in you is a moral guide to life.

Thanks for the post, and really enjoy your posts.

20. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Thank you for your kind words. Very much appreciated!

I agree with much of what you said. The Holy Spirit IS the moral guide to our lives, as born again believers in our Saviour. Good point about dancing and what's in our hearts.

There is one point in your comments that I respectfully would like to offer a rebuttal. Yes, Facebook is a software program. And it isn't a moral guide to life. Our true guide are the scriptures we've placed in our hearts which are intune with the murmurs of the Holy Spirit.

You said about Facebook: "For all of the objections you raised, there are filters to stop the situation."

To my knowledge there are no filters on the use of the revenues generated by my presence in the community that's been created by the utilization of a series of O's and 1's strung together. (Computer code at the base level.)

A drug house or a house of prostitution is only a building. It is neither moral nor amoral. Not everything that happens in those houses is a sin. It isn't a sin to eat a peanut butter sandwich or cook up some breakfast. Some of the activities within those houses are sins. The owners/operators of those houses profit. If I enter to only eat a sandwich and the owners can profit from my visit (advertising dollars earned based on views) then I am contributing to their profits.

* Profits that provide funds for support of sodomy.
    * Profits that provide funds that are not rendered unto Caesar his portion.
    * Profits that enable others to sin and to continue to sin until caught or death.
    * Profits that further enlarge the houses (reach into the fabric of our society).

While true Christians use FB for moral purposes, how many are in that software database for sinful purposes? Your membership record may be sandwiched between a pedofile and a con artist. Each visit that each of you makes puts monies into the coffers of who own/operate the software (house). Your database record ID is the key to their gated community.