1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Flawless Bible Poll

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by George Antonios, Apr 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have not actually proven that to be true and scriptural. You have not soundly proven your human, non-scriptural one perfect translation only reasoning to be "the Biblical view".

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have neither been to seminary nor am I vomiting up my response. I do not speak in the natural nor humanistic voice. I have NO IDEA what a "nineteenth century German textual criticism" is.

This is my OWN point of view. And it is not run-of-the-mill. I have read and taught the Bible to various groups young and old for 40 years. I say this as my observation of using a wide variety of Bibles.

You said that we are in violation of the rules if we speak of the King James Bible and it's perfection or imperfection.

Yet this is what you are talking about - this is the crutch of your post.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They were, but they(and Baruch, with Jerry) evidently wrote God's words as He wanted them written.

4. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another STRAWMAN thread! :rolleyes::eek:

5. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indeed, but George A, and some others just cannot see this! :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  6. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God preserved the meaning of scripture through various translations. But the Bible cannot be understood by anyone except the born-again through a long learning process. The curse of the Pharisees applies to many today who read it with a forced literalism when Paul says the letter kills the meaning.

7. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't vote... because if I did, then there would be people who would attack me no matter what I chose.
    As I see it, this forum is full of people who cannot seem to agree on anything, much less this subject.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because you like George are forever pushing KJVO :rolleyes:

9. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    George's position on this subject and mine are a bit different,
    as are his beliefs about what the Bible teaches and what it does not teach.

As it stands, what I've said in post # 47 is part of why I will never darken the doorway of a traditional church ever again in my life time... unless the Lord Himself compels me to enter one, or I feel like attending a wedding or a funeral.

Past that,
    I've found that there is nothing profitable in discussions such as this, as they lead to nothing except grief and strife... no matter which side one is on. :(

#49 Dave G, Apr 25, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  10. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If attacked, COUNTER-ATTACK. If you have a position, you should be able to defend it. After all, perhaps the most-indefensible position here is preterism, but its believers still try to defend it.

11. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God's word says to turn the other cheek, and leave off strife before it be meddled with...
    To do our best to be free of offense towards both God and men, and to do good to all men, especially those who are of the household of faith.
    I have a position...

But what does it matter, roby?
    At the end of the day it's all politics anyway, and I'm learning the hard way to stay out of the mosh-pit.

In fact,
    I'm learning to physically avoid most people who profess Christ ( and if I do engage them, to either keep things light, or to be discrete and keep my doctrines to myself ), simply because I've learned through long experience that no two professing believers can agree on any three things with any sort of consistency.

On forums,
    I'm learning to simply state what I believe, perhaps try to convince someone with the Scriptures, and then quietly take my leave once I see it going badly.
    I agree, but it does no good to continue to speak out ( among the same group of people ) for or against something,
    especially if there is no resolution in sight.

That said,
    I think that from here on out, I'll simply state my position and let those who enjoy shredding people, do so.

They can then explain to the Lord ( when they see Him ), why they enjoyed continually ripping people apart in print ( or in spoken words ),
    and why they flippantly disregarded his commandments regarding the personal conduct of believers in Jesus Christ, by tossing them into the proverbial garbage can without so much as a second thought.

Good afternoon to you.

#51 Dave G, Apr 25, 2021
  12. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you don't vote on a question that likely involves use of the fallacy of false dilemma, they may still attack you.

Allegations were already suggested against any posters who viewed this thread and who did not accept the either/or yes/no [false dilemma] fallacy concerning an issue where there is more than two positions or two answers.

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can obtain God's Word - ALL of God's words - in any (singular) translation. God's Word is error free.

I am glad that we at least agree I do not need to change my vote, but I am not sure you grasp the concept.

Did God say the words " Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ" (1 Pet 1:13 KJV)?

No, of course not. It would be foolish to say so. BUT did God preserve His words in the KJV (despite its flaws as a translation)? Yes.

It seems you are looking not for God's Word but God's dictation. So you cannot believe ANY passage is God's perfect Word (even Hebrew and Greek manuscripts as those languages also evolved).

And that is your error. You are under the misconception that God is man and His words given to men were dictated to them.

God is much greater than you allow. His words are much more perfect than you imagine. They transcend translation.

That said, anytime we deal with a translation study is required. Was Don Quixote really fighting windmills? Yes. Did Miguel de Cervantes use the word "wind mill"? No.

Why expect less of Scripture than a literary work?????

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let them...
    I'm getting used to being stomped on for my beliefs.

In fact, it's become sort of like a warm blanket to me over the past few years, and I don't see it stopping just because the people doing it are constantly being reminded to act like the Christians that they profess to be...
    Whatever side they are on regarding a subject.

At the end of their lives, I figure that they can answer to God for their mistreatment of their fellow man...
    I am not their Judge.
    I'm well aware of that.
    See my immediate above.

#54 Dave G, Apr 25, 2021
  15. George Antonios

George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no idea what you just said.
    Let's make this simple.
    Name a Bible that I could go buy on, say Amazon, that you would consider to be 100% error free in every word in every way.

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In terms of God's words (that is the topic) the NASB, the KJV, the NIV, the ESV, the HCSB, and the KJV.

That said, you have to also remember these are translations. Some Christians often become Pharisees when it comes to missing that point (they probably wrestle with how the NT quotes the OT as well).

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul's the letter killeth is a reference to the Old Testament law.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    And when those versions have contradictory verses?

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    They do not contain contradictory verses. They may contain contradictions in translations, and there is no perfect translation by them being translations.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.