1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Flawless Bible Poll

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by George Antonios, Apr 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George Antonios

George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is double-speak.
    Are you not aware that certain verses between versions state the exact opposite thing?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not wanting to argue, but I'd like to point out some details that I think should be considered...
    To me, they do, Jon...in many places.

Here's a sampling, and I agree that it is probably one of the most drastic:

" Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
    6 who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
    7 but made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
    8 and being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross."
    ( Philippians 2:5-8, AV ).

" Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus,
    6 who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped,
    7 but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men.
    8 And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross."
    ( Philippians 2:5-8, ESV )

Can you spot the differences?
    To me, verse 6 is the most profound and obvious.

I've also underlined what I see to be the contradictions between the two.

#62 Dave G, Apr 25, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is another:

" This is he that came by water and blood, [even] Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.
    7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
    8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one."
    ( 1 John 5:6-8, AV ).

" This is he who came by water and blood—Jesus Christ; not by the water only but by the water and the blood. And the Spirit is the one who testifies, because the Spirit is the truth.
    7 For there are three that testify:
    8 the Spirit and the water and the blood; and these three agree."
    ( 1 John 5:6-8, ESV ).

Those are two of many.
    Some passages don't say the same thing, while others leave out ( or add in, depending upon one's perspective ), thereby essentially contradicting the words on the page...

At least in my own opinion.
    You decide.

#63 Dave G, Apr 25, 2021
  4. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    One more:

" Now there is at Jerusalem by the sheep [market] a pool, which is called in the Hebrew tongue Bethesda, having five porches.
    3 In these lay a great multitude of impotent folk, of blind, halt, withered, waiting for the moving of the water.
    4 For an angel went down at a certain season into the pool, and troubled the water: whosoever then first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had.
    5 And a certain man was there, which had an infirmity thirty and eight years."
    ( John 5:2-5, AV ).

" Now there is in Jerusalem by the Sheep Gate a pool, in Aramaic called Bethesda, which has five roofed colonnades.
    3 In these lay a multitude of invalids—blind, lame, and paralyzed.
    5 One man was there who had been an invalid for thirty-eight years."
    ( John 5:2-5, ESV ).

Contradiction:

In verse 2, the AV has the words, "In the Hebrew tongue" while the ESV has the words, "in Aramaic".
    Notwithstanding the actual words, the two languages are not even the same...
    Hebrew is of ancient Israel in origin, while Aramaic is of ancient Syria in origin.

Also, there's the matter of verse 4 where one has it, and the other contradicts the former by not having it.

With that, I take my leave of this thread.
    Good evening to you all, and may the Lord's peace be upon you.:)

#64 Dave G, Apr 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not believe you understand what I am saying.

No English translation contains the words originally recorded in Scripture. The KJV, for example, say "the Word became flesh". But "word" does not communicate the meaning of "Logos".

So by your standard the KJV (along with any translation) is a flawed Bible and man can have no faith in the Scriptures they hold.

But that is the way of translations. Your complaint is that translations differ. But you confuse this with the mistaken idea God's perfect words do not transcend translation.

Again, what are "words"?

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well don't just toss out posts and leave :Wink .

The Hebrew word for the pool is בית חסד/חסדא. The Aramaic word is بيثيسدا.

Are you saying all English translations are incorrect?

More to the point, do you believe that God was communicating to men the name of the pool???!!!

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not see where you get that these translations are communicating a different message. What do you think God is communicating here?

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, it appears that you are taking a legalistic position, as if God had to dictate English words to human authors.

What, in your opinion, are words?

Why do you believe the NT does not always quote the OT verbatim?

9. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    You didn't answer the question. Are you aware that sundry versions/translations contradict each other in the same verse?

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    wow, that Philippians 2:6 in the ESV is brutal, I can hardly believe I never noticed that before.
    That undermines the deity of Christ.
    I honestly don't know how Christians are all cool about such things.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Each translation? No translation is perfect. This does not make man (or translators) greater than God. God's perfect words are preserved through these translations.

For centuries the English speaking world relied dominently on the KJV. But we know the KJV is flawed - NOT flawed as a translation (all translations are inherently flawed) but flawed in that it does not always translate the source text into the target language.

For example, with "the Word became flesh", "word" is not "logos" and it does not communicate the exact word the translators are striving to convey (it is probably the closest we can get, but it is not the exact word).

Again, how do you define "words"? What do words do?

12. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Chad Whiteley

Chad Whiteley Member

I can't in good faith answer the question because it's worded incorrectly. What is "error-free?" What is "preserved." The Word of God is preserved forever in the person of Jesus Christ, not a book. Human language is the medium by which God chose to reveal Himself, even though human language is not perfect, because it's made by humans. It is the demonstration of the Spirit's power in spite of human language whereby men are convicted.

I say all this as an ardent KJV defender (which is where I'm sure you were trying to lead). Unfortunately, the verbage was all wrong and I can't answer yes or no.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    George - I'm sure you have heard the phrase "It lost something in the translation"

15. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then change your vote please.

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    unable to do so!

17. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, you are advocating for a book-based religious system (like Islam) instead of a living faith. All of Gods words are not in the Bible, nor has God stopped speaking.

Jesus confronted religious leaders who were attacking Him and said, “You pore over the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is those very Scriptures that testify about Me; and yet you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life.” — John 5:39-40

The Bible doesn’t save anyone, nor does having knowledge of the Bible transform one’s life. Long before there were any written scriptures, people were made right with God. For thousands of years, until the last 500 years or so, few people had ready access to the scriptures, yet God’s saving work and transformation continued unabated.

While the Bible is a great and wonderful gift that we should use to the fullest, it is not necessary. Just look back to Abraham — He believed God and it was reckoned to him as righteousness (Genesis 15:6).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Law permeates the NT in its spiritual application. Particularly the Sermon on the Mount which forms the basis of NT ethics. But remains hidden to the literalists whom God blinded just as as Jesus mentioned. Dispies proved this in their Scofield notes when first published. They said the Sermon was for Jews in the millennium. Which is Phariseeism, not Christianity.

#78 1689Dave, Apr 26, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can remember what B. Myron Cedarholm, late President of Maranatha Baptist Bible College (now Maranatha Baptist University) said about his Scofield Bible. "I read it from the top-down not from the bottom up."

20. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus did NOT say to turn the other cheek or a deaf ear to FALSE DOCTRINES. Part of ministry should be to point out false doctrines of faith/worship, along with why they're false. JESUS HIMSELF certainly did! He blasted some Pharisees for their false doctrines & man-made rules of worship, & thru Paul, blasted the Nicolaitans. Are we not to follow Jesus' example ?

While it takes the HOLY SPIRIT to turn one from a false doctrine to which he/she is in thrall, there are many lurkers & non-posters who read these discussions, so our words may keep a new or undecided Christian from falling for them. Satan has a "scratch" for every "itching ear".

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.