1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fleeing from Sexual immorality

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Jan 9, 2012.

1. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

So is the devil, evangelist-----so is the devil!!!!

2. Winman

Winman Active Member

I heard a pastor once say that it is easier to avoid sin than resist it. That is very true. For example, let's say a fellow is a recovering alcoholic. His old friends stop by and ask if he would like to go to the bar. The fellow tells himself he can go to the bar and resist the temptation to drink. Will that work? No, it is better to avoid sin altogether.

Get the hotel room. If you two are meant to be together, it will all work out, and it will work out better if you don't start your relationship in sin. If you two were to succumb to temptation, you will both feel guilty for your sin. It might not show on the surface, but you will resent each other. Your relationship is pretty much doomed from the start.

Do it right.

3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I have to disagree. You are going beyond the scripture here. Who is to judge what "seems evil?" We can all tells stories of the ridiculous things religious people have declared to be evil, yet are at worst, morally neutral.

Everyone needs to have their own moral convictions, convictions that stand even if no human eyes are looking (the whole basis of the "damaging one's testimony" argument). We need to be the same people in complete privacy as we are in public.

The "damaging one's testimony" and "avoid things that someone else might think are evil" arguments are based on the opinions of others, not on what is actually right or wrong, what the Bible teaches, or how the Spirit might lead.

We certainly need to be very wise about how we live (wise as serpents, innocent as doves), but worrying about what others think is the path to spiritual paralysis and disobedient living.

The problem with this distinction is that you're making the distinction in the first place. All aspects of our lives are intended to demonstrate the Kingdom of God in action - in word and deed. There should be no distinction between our "way of life" and "spreading the word of God."

4. Winman

Winman Active Member

I didn't know he was unemployed. I wouldn't go at all if I was unemployed. That might seem old fashioned, but I just can't picture myself meeting a young lady for a possible relationship if I didn't have a job. Perhaps that is just me. I would keep it to phone calls at this point.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would think that the lady would have friends from church who are married and would be glad to let you stay at their home.

6. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Personally, I don't think I can tell you that staying with her would unquestionably wrong. If your conscience is troubled about it, you should listen to that. Only you can be the judge of that.

The witness argument doesn't hold water for me. Your witness is not going to be compromised with anyone but other professing Christians who want to judge and condemn you for not adhering to their extra-biblical standards. Non-Christians won't care and it won't hinder the work of the Spirit that may be moving in their lives.

My biggest concern would be one of safety. I know you think you can completely trust this person, but there have been many, many men in your position who thought they knew what they were getting into, but didn't. Some didn't even live to tell about it. Just watch those Dateline or 48 Hours shows.

7. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    22Abstain from all appearance of evil

14But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.

Let not then your good be evil spoken of:

8. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well that's the way the King James version puts it, and it has spawned quite a bit of misinterpretation over the years.

Here's a more literal translation from the Greek text:

It's not about "appearances" at all. It is about actual evil.

9. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

its about being "innocent as doves, and as wise as serpents" though...

good reason Billy graham ALWAYS went out with another male with him, even into hotel room, to make sure no female 'hidden surprises" awaiting him there!

main thing is to not allow for either your Flesh or the Devil to make inwards into your spiritual condition!

10. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Actually Iconoclast is correct, it is about appearances, it's actually the definition. The Greek supports his interpretation, as eidos does take on and mean "appearance." It is also wise in our world, where those within it are quick to call a believer a hypocrite at any moment, to avoid even something that may appear as evil, which is something that "is hurtful in its effect or in its influence." One more thing that supports this; believers are to abstrain from every form of it, which is all inclusive.

A quick glance at the previous verse also supports this idea where we are to test all things, and cling to the good, and in turn we are told to abstain from the appearance of evil as that description above.

11. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

The whole point is moot. This passage speaks to the use of tongues. It is one of the most misused passages in the whole Bible, but a favorite of those who would use it to enforce their own legalistic persuasions on other Christians.

12. preacher4truth

And your interpretations and views are well known as being off track, inaccurate and erroneous. I say this in love. :love2:

13. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

According to whom?

Fundamentalists? Usually.

SBC? Sometimes.

Solid Evangelical Scholarship? Rarely.

Orthodoxy? Never.

Preacher4truth? Heck, no.

I think this is a pretty good track record.

And I don't offer one shred of input that is devoid of biblical basis or scholarship.

14. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Avoid the appearance of evil.............

Mary Jane is a dedicated Sunday School teacher. She works hard every week to prepare lessons for her class. Her life outside the church reflects her walk with Christ as she also ministers to those about her who need help.

Mary Jane is a good cook. She's well known for her pot luck casseroles, covered dishes, and pies. She's usually the first one to arrive when someone needs a pot of homemade chicken soup.

Mary Jane's pies and cookies are a special treat because she uses real homemade vanilla extract made from vanilla beans. Since her supply was low, she made another trip to the ABC store for vodka needed to extract the essence of the beans.

Well, the church busybody spotted her, this time, coming out of the ABC store with a brown bag. Within a week everybody in the church "knew" that Mary Jane was a lush. She had absolutely no business standing in front of a class on Sunday morning, especially when she had a hangover.

The story above is based on what I saw happen to a good Christian woman. While the circumstances were changed, she almost had to resign as a Sunday school teacher. Fortunately she had friends and family who stood by her during the ensuing storm. All because while doing no evil, she found herself in a situation that had the "appearance of evil" to someone else.

15. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

was it it legalistic to obey the lord though in this area?

the same standard that you use to judge others here as being legalistic would apply back to yourself, as they could consider you to be advocating "lawlessness!"

16. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Depend really in how you would define 'Solid Evangelical scholarship!"

17. Winman

Winman Active Member

Reminds me of a fellow I worked with years ago when I was an insurance agent. We would sometimes go to a business or a person's home to write a policy. It was a convenience for folks who couldn't take time off work and a sure way to write a policy.

My friend Ben got a call from an adult store. The fellow there liked the quote he got for auto insurance, but couldn't take time off to come by our office working hours, so Ben offered to come by his shop.

Sure enough, as he was finished writing the policy and walking out of the store, he heard a car horn blowing. He looked up and it was his neighbor blowing her horn and waving to him. The problem is, this lady was known to be the neighborhood gossip. My friend Ben was all upset because he knew this lady would tell everyone she had seen him coming out of this adult store. And sure enough, she did.

18. preacher4truth

jaignor is pugnacious, I'd leave him alone. Obviously his interpretations, that is misinterpretations haven't made it over into his walk much so he behaves the way he does, treats others the way he does. :wavey:

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Honestly, in that case I would comfortably either send it to another agent or else ask the man to meet after hours. I'd much rather work a little overtime than to set foot in an adult store.

That said, I do buy alcohol and have yet to have a problem. But then again, it's known amongst us all that I cook with it since I have recipes like Penne a la Vodka and my 9 year old's favorite - wine braised Italian sausages. :)

20. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    annsni, I had a neighbor once who loved cooking with wine and on occasion he sometimes even put it in the food. :tongue3: