Food Stamps

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Dec 3, 2016.

1. annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You don't need to purchase anything in these places although usually I grab a cup of coffee for $2 while I'm there. :) But then library is usually free and in almost every town.

If you have no transportation, it gets tougher but you have to get to work somehow so hopefully you are near town/an internet source.

2. Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would like see the whole program restructured to focus on basic healthy nutritional life sustaining essentials and education for food preparation etc., perhaps welfare distribution centers being set up to help economically manage our tax dollar handouts. Nothing wrong with a person who doesn't work to have to do a little work to prepare their food. And forget the poptarts, candy, cheetos and soda pop - that kind of sense of entitlement for people that are not earning their way is misplaced belief on several levels.

3. annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

One problem I have found, Benjamin, is that some of the people who receive SNAP benefits live in places where they can't cook. Around here, there are many who are being housed in motels and to be able to cook good healthy foods for their kids is just really hard. It would be great if there were a common kitchen they could use but most motels don't provide that. So hopefully they have a fridge and a microwave but in some cases I know, they only have a hot pot and a cooler. :(

4. StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're assuming that SNAP recipients don't work, it seems. Many recipients work but still are eligible. They receive smaller amounts, of course.

5. Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If they work then they might have to work a little more to learn how to and prepare their own meals made from the food supplies that others are providing for them out of their pockets.

6. Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would think non-perishable foods that have don't have to be cooked can be arranged as well as perhaps some of the restructuring that needs to take place should involve cooking centers.