For those Harry Potter lovers - Did you know ??

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Allan, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Magnetic Poles New Member

Goading me into breaking the rules won't work.

2. Joe New Member

Um, where did I ask you to break the rules? :rolleyes:

You know better than to make an accusation like this. Take a breather

You're not that important that I care whether you answer or not. In fact, I don't

3. Joe New Member

I think I am beginning to believe this

4. Magnetic Poles New Member

You asked me to expound on my views of homosexuality, which breaks the rule of discussing human sexuality in open forum. Don't play dumb.

My importance or lack thereof has nothing to do with it. I repeat, your goading is tiresome.

As for devoid of faith posts, repeating that rude little comment is an ad hominem, the last refuge of one without a lucid argument; and has nothing to do with the topic of Harry Potter books (the subject matter of this thread). Funny how I am not the one making ad hominems, isn't it?

It is also sickening the fascination some Christians continue to have with homosexuals.

5. Joe New Member

What? We got off that topic a long time ago. I could care less about your views on the subject. Re-read the posts, you are WAY off. I don't care whether you answer, but you gave the BB rules as to why you can't answer. I wanted to know for myself what you felt I misinterrpreted in the words so I would know in case I ever get flagged. Nothing more.
    Sorry, I asked you for help.

This is a devoid of faith, a devoid of faith in people.

If this is directed at me, then whatever, believe what you want

6. npetreley New Member

Break it up, break it up, guys.

7. Magnetic Poles New Member

OK Npet...Yes I have seen the Maltese Falcon. Bogie was great as always, although what that has to do with Potter is beyond me. :)

8. Joe New Member

Never saw it

9. npetreley New Member

It's a classic. Joel Cairo (Peter Lorre) was gay. It's possible Gutman (Sidney Greenstreet) was, too. I wouldn't avoid the movie or the book for that reason. By the way, I saw that movie as a kid. Even though it's really obvious now that Joel Cairo was gay, I never understood that when I saw it as a kid.

How about Lion King? Timon and Pumba are supposedly a gay couple.

10. Magnetic Poles New Member

Ernie & Bert?

11. Allan Active Member

Never seen the Falcon movie, but being gay in real life is not the argument here. Nor is the 'assumption' of being gay relevent here.

Children/youth are not yet firmly grounded in the truth, so as they read they are more prone to seeing what others over look because it is not what they want to see in their readings. They absorb it all, where as you did not. Just because you did not see it, does not mean it was not there nor that it was not the authors intent to keep it at the edges of sight, to be revealed in due time. It was a brillant stratigy by her to reveal it after everyone fell in love with one of its leading charactors so as to have a strong base of support when he 'came out of the closet' giving strong ground for people to still encourage others to read her books nonetheless, regardless of belief, they enjoyed them.
    Remember, this is not a suspiscion of being a character being a homosexual based on vague passages, but a CONFIRMATION of the rumors (up till now) which others had suspected and rightly so by the authors own design!

However, if our children and youth have grasped truth as fully as some us presume they have, then why do most reject it shortly after leaving home and get on their own.
    Answer: It is because it is mom and dads truth (so they follow along), but not yet their own.

It is not a valid argument Npt, though it is a good game of smoke and mirrors.

12. npetreley New Member

In real life? It was a movie (and book).

13. Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to brush up on your rhetoric. Saying your posts are devoid of faith is not an ad hominem argument.

And hiding behind a misinterpretation of the BB rules to avoid Scripture and shield your carnal arguments from scrutiny is disingenuous.

14. Magnetic Poles New Member

No, the rules are clear...no misinterpretation.

Had you truly been interested in my views on the subject, you would have asked via PM or in the Men's private forum, per the clearly stated rules. You were trying to goad me into violating the forum rules...I won't fall for it. You aren't interested in my opinion, only in getting me to get thrown off the board. I guess you can't stand the heat.

15. Sopranette New Member

With regard to the OP...so what? It not as if homosexuality is going to suddenly appeal to young readers. Actually, I'm more concerned about the way the author makes witchcraft so appealing.
    Relax! It not as if they're going to reproduce! If we're doing our jobs as godly parents, we can help guide our children on the right path, even if those children believe they may be gay. You know your child better than anyone else on Earth, you know what's the best thing to do when questioned by your child about homosexuality. And if we are good and godly neighbors, we will love our neighbors as ourselves as we have been commanded to do.
    And that's my .02 for the day. Goodnight!

love,

Sopranette

16. Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh puh-leeze! I called homosexuality deviant and an abomination in the sight of God and no less abhorent than pedophilia. I wasn't thrown off the board. The moderator didn't even clear his throat.

I would like to see just one post of yours with a modicum of spirituality and submission to the testimony of the Scriptures. I think you can do it if you try. :thumbs:

17. ShotGunWillie New Member

Just for the record: This is news to me, I find it hard to believe that ONE of the Harry Potter characters is rumored to be a homosexual, personally speaking I thought they were all gay.

18. Magnetic Poles New Member

:laugh: Touche! :thumbs:

19. abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. I remember watching an episode where Bert and Ernie are in separate beds. Ernie couldn't sleep, and kept talking to Bert and waking him up until Bert finally blew his top. Funny how I can remember that, but forget what I had for breakfast. . .

20. npetreley New Member

I remember that one!