1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

For Those that Think COVID-19 is Like the Flu...

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by InTheLight, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually they have not verified that yet.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is a quick track to immunity....volunteer at a city hospital for 3 months. My brother works the front lines and his comment is it’s over the wall, apparently an overwhelming experience.

• Like Like x 1
  3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. I haven’t taken a trip anywhere more than about 150 miles away since 2014, and I am certainly not taking a trip anywhere at the moment. I have not spent a single night away from home since 2014.

2. Do you think that because the New York City-New Jersey area, with about half the cases in the United States, is in such bad shape due to its population density, that we should treat all areas of the United States, even areas with few or no cases, just like NYC-NJ? That makes no sense unless one believes in a one size fits all way of making public policy.

4. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It's a very bad nasty extremely infectious flu. It is more deadly. But so is poverty and economic depression. Our President needs to balance both of these facts, and make sure the cure is not more deadly than the virus. My prayers are with him. I think he understands this, and will make the best choices. I'm thankful beyond thankful that Hillary is not making these choices right now. We already know she would not have shut down travel from China.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you never race the horses?

• Like Like x 1
  6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. So? That is what racehorses do. They race. Thus, the term, “racehorse”.

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes I do.... NYC is the home of banking, finance and the stock exchanges. I would like nothing better than to blow the place up but then....

• Like Like x 1
  8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow! I have no words.

9. Wingman68

Wingman68 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You got, I got, we all got. I have lived in New York, on two separate intervals. I have lived in New Jersey. Connecticut. Delaware. Indiana. Michigan was the last stop. I am not proud of this state. It is entirely too tainted with leftists, which is why you are seeing us with the third highest rate of death with this virus, BECAUSE of leftist policies.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again they aren’t racing now are they? I’ve begun to consider it a blood sport anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank God!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the long run, that would probably be the best plan.
    Our idiot government is wrecking the economy. I had to lay my crew off yesterday because they figured out they can make more money drawing unemployment than they make working.

13. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look at the chart again. Do you see the weekly death rate from any of the five previous years of seasonal flu go from (basically) zero to over 6,000 deaths per week in three weeks?

The closest any previous year comes to that increase in death rate is 2017-2018. In weeks 51-53 the rate went from approximately 4,400 deaths/week to 7,000 deaths/week. Another way of stating this is that the rate increased 59% in three weeks.

As you can see in the chart COVID-19 went from about 50 deaths/week to 6,400 deaths/week in weeks 11-13. Another way to say this is the rate increased 12,700% in three weeks.

In this particular characteristic, virulency, Covid-19 is most definitely NOT like the flu.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can we get back to the topic of the thread, please?

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are dieing here because of economics. Cram them in, working them to death, paying them more and then taxing them to hell. And I live in a part of NJ where we are mostly conservative... and that includes me. But you can’t make any money here so the jobs are located in NYC and that’s where we go. It’s not Demos, Republicans, Independents etc., no it’s greed pure and simple

• Like Like x 1
  16. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, there is not enough historical data on Covid-19 to make the claims you are making.

17. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ^^ THIS ^^

Balancing the needs of various sectors of the population is what leaders are tasked to do. Trump is doing a fabulous job handling it. He's got some extremely difficult decisions to make in the next couple of weeks. Please pray for him, the vice president, Trump's advisors, and also the governors of our states that they do the prudent things.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since you said please!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is also the issue of who is being counted in this death toll. Just because someone has COVID-19, just like if someone has the Flu, does not mean they died because of that disease. My guess is that some of these numbers are inflated.

For example, there was at least one death in KY and the person was in the hospital for a stroke and heart attack yet they added him to the COVID-19 toll. I hardly find that plausible that it was COVID-19 that killed him.

20. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There certainly is enough data to know the velocity that this thing travels through the population is like nothing we've ever seen. The chart clearly shows that.

• Informative Informative x 1