1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Free Grace Theology

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by agedman, Dec 22, 2015.

1. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fixed it for ya! I woke up late, my head is foggy.

Isaiah 1:18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

Merry Christmas! Remember...as you have 1 finger pointing out all the hairy ticks, you've got 3 others pointing right back at you!

2. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

I'll probably wake up late tomorrow, I told our 5 year old Santa doesn't want cookies, he'd rather have fried oysters and an IPA this year. Geek

I am thankful! I love that passage and I am thankful you didn't interpret, you just quoted! LOL! Biggrin

You and yours as well! Remember to exercise mental accent so you can receive a reward, er, I mean a gift! Roflmao

3 others? Well, we are not allowed to name names here so those 3 others I will have to leave in anonymity, but tell them I said 'Merry Christmas'! Laugh

3. BrotherJoseph

BrotherJoseph Well-Known Member

Brother Jon,

One of the errors of free grace theology is it fails to distinguish that one can have a spurious man generated faith as opposed to a God given faith. Simon Magus 'believed' and was baptized but his heart was "not right in the sight of God" per the Bible (see Acts 8:12-22). In other words, it was 'belief' without a changed heart and because this was Simon's condition Peter says he would perish unless he came to true repentance: he was 'in the gall of bitterness and in the bond of iniquity' (vs. 23). And the evidence that Simon Magus was indeed unsaved can be seen in his prayer. He, like all unregenerate people, was only concerned with the consequence of sin and made no request to be pardoned and cleansed from the impurity of sin. "Pray ye," he says to Peter, "to the Lord for me, that none of these things which ye have spoken come upon me". (Acts 8:24) Like the so-called 'carnal Christian' he wanted Jesus as a kind of hell-insurance policy but he was not interested in deliverance from sin!

God bless and hope you have a Merry Christmas.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

When Christ called James and John they left their jobs, their fishing nets, their families and all that they had and followed Christ.
    When Andrew went and informed Peter that Christ was the Messiah, they both left everything and followed Jesus. (family, work, everything).
    When Jesus said to Levi (Matthew), "Come and follow me," Levi arose and followed Christ. He was a tax collector. He left all the money, his tax table, his occupation, everything right there in the middle of the road and followed Christ.

Martin, you of your own testimony, have been able to do that only partially.
    Most here have never done that in their lives.
    But now you are saying you would expect someone like my five year old grand-daughter, who I believe is saved, to leave her parents, go out into this cruel world of her own accord, forsake all that she has, and be a missionary for Jesus. This is the most absurd position I have ever heard. She is a believer in Christ, not a disciple.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not believe that is a fair use of examples. Comparing a 5 year old to an adult fails.

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Why did you lie to him/her.
    [/QUOTE]

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your distinction between 'believers' and 'disciples' is a false one.
    It's certainly not for me to judge your grand-daughter. If she says she loves Jesus, that's great. For the rest, pray, and wait and see.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Perhaps not. However, when a believer first comes to Christ from a religion outside of a Christian family, as I did, he or she may have less knowledge about salvation and the Bible than my five year old daughter does at the presence. Such was the case with me. My five year old grand-daughter has more knowledge about the Bible and salvation at her age than I did before I was saved at the age of 20. Thus I do think the comparison is fair in that sense. Everyone grows at different rates. The people advocating LS do not take this into consideration. They must deny progressive sanctification in order to believe LS.

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Exactly true. I will pray, and wait and see if she becomes a true disciple of Christ. For now she remains a believer. It is Christ that drew the difference, not I.

10. Internet Theologian

Oh, so you're from the old school and still leave out cookies and milk? Roflmao Laugh Roflmao Laugh Roflmao Laugh

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are going to have real problems with some verses based on your reasoning:

Mat_10:38 And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.

Growing a different rates does not mean that we have to grow into sacrificial living. People move into it slowly if at all only because it is not taught or the gospel is not actually preached.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Internet Theologian

Hopefully she becomes the former and rejects your false dichotomy error. :)

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I never have and I never will.
    I am just wondering why you lie to your children and teach them about "Satan-Claus"?

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I don't have a problem with that. That is the process of progressive sanctification. Not every believer is a disciple. That was my point in the fist place by using a child. In no way can a child, though he or she be saved, be considered a disciple. There are many adult believers in the same position: Believers, yes: disciples, no.

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [QUOTE="DHK, post: 2193850, member: 691] Not every believer is a disciple.[/QUOTE]

We do not agree there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Internet Theologian

And I wonder as well why you lie about about disciples/believers false dichotomy to young ones. I'd dare say that is more of a grave matter than that of St. Nicolas, right?

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Do you accuse Jesus of making a false dichotomy when he specifically speaks to select believers and gives them specific requirements of discipleship. You ought to be ashamed.

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You have a man-made philosophy. Jesus made a distinction; not I.

19. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is nonsense.
    When someone comes to trust in the Lord Jesus Christ, he may well have no theology at all. All he needs to know is that he is a sinner; to turn away from that sin, and trust in Christ. the rest- Bible knowledge, growth in grace and understanding, progressive sanctification can come later. He is a disciple- mathetes, a learner. And what do learners do? They learn.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Internet Theologian

Jesus made no such distinction, men such as you have crafted this error on their own from fallacious doctrine of late.

• Like Like x 1