1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Free will and the gospel

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Tim71, Oct 31, 2017.

1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I haven't read through this entire thread - but, don't forget Agrippa and his sessions with Paul

Acts 26
    27 King Agrippa, believest thou the prophets? I know that thou believest.
    28 Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian.
    29 And Paul said, I would to God, that not only thou, but also all that hear me this day, were both almost, and altogether such as I am, except these bonds.

HankD

2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you think Felix trembled because of “judgement to come,” as most Roman (as did Greeks) sought oracles to signify some future event?

Perhaps the Holy Spirit wasn’t causing the trembling?

But, then, the Scriptures draw to silence on Felix, perhaps outside sources can indicate if salvation ever came to him.

3. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well good,

Now there is actual words given.

So, explain how the words show other than the total inability of man and total capability of God.

4. Mr. Davis

Mr. Davis Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is there a theological difference between "total inability" and "total depravity" (TULIP)?

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting discussion from a non calvinist on this question!
    lloydstreeter.com/2016/06/30/total-depravity-vs-total-inability/
    1. Cached

6. Mr. Davis

Mr. Davis Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you. I believe in total inability because God must regenerate before faith can be manifest.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just read the passages, Agedman. They had enough spiritual ability to will to be saved (Romans 9:16) to seek God's righteousness by works or faith or both (Romans 9:31-33) to receive the gospel (Matthew 13) and to be entering the kingdom (Matthew 23:13). OTOH, you have provided no support whatsoever for your bogus claims.

8. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, you admit the Romans 9 passage doesn’t support your statement.

Next?

9. SheepWhisperer

SheepWhisperer Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe he had Parkinson's?
    Seriously bro..........why would the Holy Spirit inspire brother Luke to write down "Felix trembled"? the man was SCARED because Paul no doubt had just showed him that he was a wicked sinner, destined to bust Hell wide open.

10. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps,

The Scripture does say that Felix was well aware of “the way”.

What I base my thinking on was: Acts 24:26 At the same time he was hoping that Paul would offer him a bribe, so he sent for him frequently and talked with him.

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another post denying the very words of scripture. (And misrepresenting my view as well.)
    Folks, his effort is not to present truth, but to obfuscate. Pay no heed.
    Just read the passages! They had enough spiritual ability to will to be saved (Romans 9:16) to seek God's righteousness by works or faith or both (Romans 9:31-33) to receive the gospel (Matthew 13) and to be entering the kingdom (Matthew 23:13).

12. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

“So then it does not depend on the man who wills or the man who runs, but on God who has mercy.” (Romans 9:16)

Just one verse out of Van’s list.

What does it indicate of humans ability?

“then it doees not depend on the man who wills or the man who runs

Ok so no human ability of will or effort is a determiner.

What of being involved as the starter or instigator?

Who then is the authority as both the author and completor?

God who has mercy.”

“...fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God...” (Hebrews 12:2)

But then Van considers human faith has the ability in some manner to be “will” and as humans put forth the “effort” (runs) then God responds.

How is this not representing correctly the view of Van?

It is and shows from his own words how he struggles to insert human ability where the scriptures, of his own list, do not share the same view.

#52 agedman, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van uses these verses from Romans 9, also:
    30What shall we say then? That Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, attained righteousness, even the righteousness which is by faith; 31but Israel, pursuing a law of righteousness, did not arrive at that law. 32Why? Because they did not pursue it by faith, but as though it were by works. They stumbled over the stumbling stone,
    In his thinking, the word “faith” is that ability innate in the human that when expressed can gain in some manner God’s attention.

However, this section comes from a larger portion which the authority of God is discussed. For example,

19You will say to me then, “Why does He still find fault? For who resists His will?” 20On the contrary, who are you, O man, who answers back to God? The thing molded will not say to the molder, “Why did you make me like this,” will it?21Or does not the potter have a right over the clay, to make from the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for common use? 22What if God, although willing to demonstrate His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction? 23And He did so to make known the riches of His glory upon vessels of mercy, which He prepared beforehand for glory, 24even us, whom He also called, not from among Jews only, but also from among Gentiles.​

All matters reside in the authority of God.

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Note the change of subject, the verse shows fallen people can will and work to be saved, thus having some spiritual ability. His bogus doctrine claims fallen people are unable, unless enabled by irresistible grace, to seek God and trust in Christ. Thus Romans 9:16 demonstrates his man-made doctrine is bogus.

He keeps claiming my view is man somehow saves himself. That is false. Last point, accepting the gospel and trusting in Jesus is an act of human will, but that will does not save anyone. God and God alone saves whom He chooses, and He chooses those whose faith he credits as righteousness.

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see Mr. Agedman has repeated again the falsehood I think our faith somehow gains God's attention.
    It is difficult to carry one biblical discussions with those who seem to have no regard for truth.

16. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Iim

17. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe a person enters into a salvific relationship with God when they receive indwelling Holy Spirit. What happens prior is a "movement" of God on that person to bring them to a place where they express faith in God. I believe the Gospel (Jesus Christ and Him crucified for sins) is an essential part of the "movement". The rest of the discussion is debate without end. Perhaps it is enough for me to know a person cannot come to salvation unless God is involved.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    “NOT by the WILL of man,” means to Van that man “can will and work to be saved.”

Now, I realize tha my comprehension skills are becoming more frail, and my memory has too much arthritic to turn the pages of recall, but it does seem reasonable that when the Scriptures state “NOT by” and gives two specifics as to what is NOT by, then it just doesn’t take that much memory and comprehension to see that it is NOT by will or work.

Yet, Van would declare the opposite.

#58 agedman, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another change the subject post. Disgusting

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What change of subject?

Is the discussion not your view using the Romans verses?

Was it not shown that those verses do not support your thinking of humankind having the ability to activate salvation by merely exercising their will?

Perhaps your contention of a “change of subject” is just your avoidance.

?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1