1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Free will and the gospel

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Tim71, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scripture teaches total spiritual inability is false doctrine.

And repeating the falsehood that my view is fallen people "activate" salvation remains disgusting.

God and God alone saves us, 100% God, 0% human. But no doubt, rather than address total spiritual inability, you will continue to post change of subject falsehoods concerning man's role in salvation. As I said, disgusting. And not one Cal leaning poster has corrected your behavior.

2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, either one has total spiritual ability, or none. There is NO in between, moderately spiritual.

What it seems is that you desire to have some presentation of spiritual ability rather than understanding such is not Scriptural.

It is troubling that all the Scriptures that you present actually do not support what you desire, yet you so don’t want to be seen as infallible on this topic.

It is sad that you consider the truth repulsive.

Not much of a cure for that other than submitting to the truth and being at peace in knowing you now embrace the truth.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet, again, you are not addressing the issue.
    Yet, again, you provide no scriptural support for your bogus assertions, such as people can understand milk but not meat, as taught in 1 Corinthians.
    I explained why the verses I cited demonstrate total spiritual inability is bogus, and your response, "the scriptures do not support you." Just another taint so post.
    Total Spiritual Inability has been shown to be bogus, fallen men are able to will to be saved, Romans 9:16, fallen men seek God through faith or works or both, Romans 9:31-33, fallen men receive the gospel, Matthew 13:1-23, and fallen men were entering the kingdom, Matthew 23:13.

4. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So as not to misunderstand:

1)... fallen men are able to will to be saved,
    2)... fallen men seek God through faith or works or both,
    3)... fallen men receive the gospel,
    4)... and fallen men were entering the kingdom,

Now, might I suggest the following modifications to your thinking, or present that which is more accurate to and consistent with the Scripture.

1)... fallen men are able to will to be saved by God’s gracious work of both the Scriptures and the Holy Spirit bringing faith that the person believes.
    2)... fallen men seek God by God’s gracious work of both the Scriptures and the Holy Spirit bringing faith that the person believes. ,
    3)... fallen men receive the gospel by God’s gracious work of both the Scriptures and the Holy Spirit bringing faith that the person believes.
    4)... and fallen men were entering the kingdom by God’s gracious work of both the Scriptures and the Holy Spirit bringing faith that the person believes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another change of subject. Total Spiritual Inability is bogus doctrine, see Romans 9:16, Romans 9:31-33, Matthew 13:1-23, and Matthew 23:13.;

And BTW, note how Agedman has rewritten scripture to say what it does not say.
    Would God say it does not depend on the man that wills, if God through irresistible grace compelled his/her to will? LOL
    Would God say people seek God but did not find His righteousness, if God had compelled seeking God. LOL
    Would God say men received the gospel, but were not saved, if God had compelled them to receive the gospel? LOL

Keep you eye on the topic folks, and pay no attention to the smokescreen.

6. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, you do not see a conflict between your statement that man has the ability to will and the Scripture it is not by man’s will?

Just what can fallen man will?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van,

Does the new nature not also include a new will?

The old nature is not remade (despite the preaching some have heard), in contrast the Scriptures present that believers are a new creation, which includes a new will.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep, as God delivers to each saved person the new heart/mind with the saving faith at the same time ....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IF God relied upon the will of all sinners to save themselves, we would all just desire to stay lost!

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only plan God has for our sin nature is to have it killed off at the Cross, and wants to daily make sure it stays dead!

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God MUST draw the person to Jesus to get saved, as none of us will do that by and of ourselves!

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What part of our will and nature was not affected by the fall?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree as far as the timing of the old nature "killed off."

Paul makes it clear that the old nature is still a force in which to be reckoned (see Romans 7 for conflict of two natures)

When will the old nature be "killed off?" When Paul was writing to the Philippians about the conflicts they were facing, he presents the better estate of one who dies, in comparison to that of remaining alive. That by continuing to live, there is purpose for OTHERS and not for ourselves. Philippians 1:21 - 30

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you that the time of the sin nature being finally and fully dealt with is when we are glorified, but while in this body of flesh, still commanded to reckon ourselves as having died in Christ, and be new arising with/in Him.
    The sin nature still lurks, and we have to make sure it stays nailed in its coffin!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Calv1

Calv1 Active Member

"THERE IS NO ONE THAT SEEKS GOD, NO NOT ONE", if you believe scripture that's the answer. "The natural man is UNABLE to please God", "The natural man is UNABLE to understand the things of the Spirit", "You are UNABLE to come to me unless the Father who sent me DRAW HIM, ALL that the Father draws WILL COME, and he who comes I will in no wise cast out".

We believe, but ONLY AS A RESULT OF GOD'S ELECTION, Eph 1, Acts 16:2, Romans 9, John 6:40 et al

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought that this may be a good reminder of what people who believe in what Calvin taught teach:
    "There are five points and they spell TULIP. That’s a little memory device and the T stands for “total depravity.” That means we are just about as bad as we can get. TOTAL DEPRAVITY (to be depraved means to be evil). The U stands for “unconditional election.” That is, salvation begins in the heart and mind of God and it is without any conditions whatsoever. God determines it…UNCONDITIONAL ELECTION. God just simply elects some individuals to be saved. The next thing is the L which is “limited atonement.” These people believe that Jesus did not die for all. He died for the elect. So the atonement is limited to the elect…LIMITED ATONEMENT. The I stands for “irresistible grace”. If God is going to save you, there’s nothing you can do about it. His Holy Spirit is going to zap you and you’re a goner, because that is irresistible. There’s no way that you could resist the Holy Spirit of God. So, if you’re one of the elect, you’re going to be saved and there’s nothing you can do about it. And if you’re not one of the elect, there’s nothing you can do about that either. So that is IRRESISTIBLE GRACE. And then, the last, the P stands for “perseverance of the saints.” Once you’re saved, then you persevere and you go on to Heaven…PERSEVERANCE OF THE SAINTS"

17. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Except TULIP came along almost 400 years after John Calvin died.

Uh, no, that is not what Total Depravity means.

No, that is not Unconditional Election.

Wrong again. That is not what Limited Atonement means.

No, again. That is not what Irresistible Grace means.

Nope. You got it wrong again.

For someone who seems to think you can teach us what Particular Redemption is all about you don't seem to know very much about it. Did you just Copy & Paste this from some idiotic web page?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Mr. Davis

Mr. Davis Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just finished reading some of The Bondage of the Will. Salvation is all of God and none of me!
    Also Romans 5:19.

19. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My apologies. I had put in the quotes but forgot to reference the article and Author:
    REFORMED THEOLOGY by Dr. Adrian Rogers
    https://www.lacollege.edu/sites/default/files/reformed_theology_jan_13.pdf

By the way, I don't view Adrian Rogers as an idiot!

20. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If your "quotes" are what he actually said, then, yes, he is an idiot. Of course Rogers is well known as a rabid anti-Calvinist who makes all sorts of absurd statements and blames them on Calvinists.

His most idiotic is "Without freewill you are accusing our Holy and Righteous God of being the Author of sin, which is exactly what Calvinism/Reformed Theology does." And that is a lie straight out of the pit of hell.

The doctrine of free will does NOT accuse God of being the author of sin. That is just an idiotic lie.

Now, if you really want to know what Historic Particular Redemption really is, I would be glad to discuss the 5 Heads of Doctrine as published by the Synod of Dordt in 1618/9 with you, and point out the egregious errors of your above thread.