1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Fundamentalists least educated

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Luke2427, Mar 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK.....let it go now.... please. Don't get obsessed like some of these creatures floating around here.

ALSO:

OldRegular has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

The name "Fundamentalist" has become a pejorative among many Christians. I have always considered myself a fundamentalist in that belief in certain fundamentals of the Faith are the marks of a "true believer"!. I once posted, a thread I think, on the Fundamentalist Forum asking for a definition. Did not get anywhere, obsessed I guess!:smilewinkgrin: And cleaned!

#62 OldRegular, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2014
  3. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

They had to do a study for this? Everybody knows that the "educated" folks have always felt that conservative fundamentalists were uneducated and that's why they hold the views that they do.

It is very telling how some feel if you don't have a college degree that you are somehow uneducated yet with all of their degrees, they still reject Christ.

We need to PROPERLY re-educate the so called well educated.

4. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Zaac,

Something is haywire! This is the second post of yours with which I concur, in as many days I believe.

#64 OldRegular, Mar 27, 2014
  5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

That's not true, Zaac. In fact that goes to my whole point.

In Colonial days, for instance, the most educated men in the community were often the clergy.

The most fundamentalist men like Jonathan Edwards started our Ivy League Universities.

Christians, we the best educated in the land in those days.

Now, we are the least educated.

I keep saying this is not just about "college degrees." Fundamentalists and evangelicals lead the stats in failure to achieve high school diplomas as well.

6. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

:smilewinkgrin: I told yall a long time ago that I'm probably the most conservative person on this board when it comes to God's word. Not many seem to hear that though because many think I'm pro-homosexual, pro-Obama, pro-choice and pro-Democrat and pro everything else.

And no matter how many times I have expressed the contrary, people often confuse my distaste for the place politics has taken in the lives of Christians as my distaste for a position on issues of morality. :laugh:

7. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I noticed you did not try to make a case for my bad hermeneutics. You just replaced any hermeneutics of your own with a laughy face.

So, you can just SAY it is bad hermeneutics. You don't have to show it, right?

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ha,ha! :)

9. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Perhaps I should amend my statement from "always" to for the last 30 or 40 years. :laugh:

All one has to do to see this is to show up for a lecture in any state university. Or just watch MSNBC or one of the extremely liberally biased news programs. The conversations often seem to try to portray anyone who holds to a conservative Christian worldview, as backwoods, uneducated and engaged to his first cousin.

I can't even count the number of times that I've heard "they just need to be educated about the truth" when they are really saying "they need to be scientifically shown that those stories in that old book have been corrupted and disproven by our science and knowledge."

Be that as it may, I still feel that completion of high school and college have very little to do with education anymore. Otherwise we wouldn't be turning out so many absolute idiots into society.

10. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Wow, at the nitpicking grammar police.

Again, these are not papers we are writing. These are posts.

Sometimes I am typing them from my cell, other times I am using voice to text, other times I am typing them from computer, laptop or Ipad.

The use of most of those items means that it is tedious to go back and correct errors that do not affect the gist of what I am saying.

I should not have to explain this in a FORUM, but alas...

11. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

It matters. The whole world knows that it matters.

America is one of the least educated nations in the industrialized world today and Christians are leading the way in this country in that regard.

God is not pleased with our ignorance or our sorriness.

That ought to be so obvious that it goes without saying, but, sadly, as is made apparent by some on this thread, it is not obvious.

Christians lead this nation on to its demise much like priests and prophets in Jeremiah's day led Israel to her demise.

And guys like Old Regular and Rev. Mitchell DESPERATELY want to keep their heads in the sand and plunge as many other Christians heads in the sand as possible until America is just a shell of what she was.

That's the thing about guys like that- both in the Bible and here on this thread- they want to blame the evils of our days on everything but their own mentalities.

It's not the gays' fault we are in decline.

It's not the atheists' fault we are falling apart as a nation.

It's not the liberals or Obama.

It's the church in America.

You can hate the messenger all you want- but nothing is going to change the facts I have presented.

#71 Luke2427, Mar 27, 2014
  12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

According to who?
    Your data is skewed; not accurate.
    I posted some of this in another thread.
    First, those who call themselves atheists are often those who work in scientific fields and because of peer pressure will call themselves atheists. A belief in evolution will compel them to. They may have Ph.d.'s; in fact many of them do. Many of them will be atheists teaching as professors in their respective fields in secular universities.
    So what! This does not prove anything.

A Ph.d. is not a coveted degree among pastors. It is not necessary and does not mean one is "educated." Many of our pastors have B.A.'s and are self-taught, M.A.'s and M.Div's. Many have reputable D.D.'s given on behalf of their service and accomplishments rendered.

As far as high school is considered it is doubtful that Barna takes into consideration the "home-schooled" population, which is the fastest growing movement in America, and the most popular method of education among evangelicals. There are also many unregistered home-schools that operate under the auspices of the local church. They receive a grade twelve diploma, not from the government, but one equivalent or of much more value than what the public school system could ever give out. And the community recognizes this.
    In many areas of America the public school system is failing and graduating functional illiterates. Both home-schools and Christian schools do far better than that. Your data is skewed.

13. North Carolina Tentmaker

Now that is a different question.

Yes, I do think we should do better. I think we should do a better job of educating our children, not just educating, but preparing them for life. I don’t think this is something we can simply put off on government schools as their responsibility. I think we need to take responsibility for our own children and prepare them to both make a living and defend their faith. But I don’t think we can measure that with diplomas and degrees.

The idea that every child needs to go to college is an invention of our government schools. But within the Fundamental Baptist world we have made it worse with some of our home grown Bible Colleges. Worse than the high school drop-out is the home school or Christian school graduate who thinks they have the knowledge they need to make it in this world.

14. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

I have to agree with what is posted here. According to the government, I have a GED, as I graduated homeschooled. In my 10th grade year, I took a placement test and was graded at or above college levels in math, science, and reading comprehension/vocabulary.

I am not puffing myself up. "But for the grace of God." My point is, I am above average intelligence, yet would be thrown into the category of those who did not receive a HS diploma. So the report is definitely skewed.

15. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

The data is from Pew which is one of the most respected demographics organizations in this nation.

None of that changes the fact that Independent Baptists and tongue talkers lead the nation in the failure to achieve high school diplomas- not just college degrees and especially not just doctorates. We are talking about making it out of the 12th GRADE!

I doubt that the number of people receiving this kind of "diploma" is even remotely significant. I am willing to bet that the number of fundies receiving this type of "diploma" is so small that it would not change the stats by a hundredth of a percent.

Yes, and leading the way in that illiteracy are fundamentalists and evangelicals.

16. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I am a GED teacher at our local prison. I don't think the stats are not including GED's. A GED is considered the equivalent of a high school diploma.

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

That doesn't mean he has his facts right. "Stats" can be made to say anything a person wants them to say.
    Again, that is not necessarily a "fact." It is a statistic, and no doubt a skewed statistic, not very accurate as is demonstrated by Sapper Woody.
    Have you ever read the book: "Why Johnny Can't Read?" It is not speaking of Fundamentalism or even evangelicalism.
    The true "fact" is that many universities and colleges are more apt to receive a home-schooled individual than a public-schooled individual. They have had experience with the general state of public education in America.
    You have no actual evidence to back up your rant. That is all it is--a rant.

18. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I'm a bit confused here. Exactly why do I , for the sake of the Gospel and completing the Great Commission, need to be educated by the world? What will a bachelors degree do for me in terms of God's truth? In fact, the time spent pursuing a college degree in a lot of colleges today seems to be more of a miseducating rather than an educating.

Can you expound on this?

Not sure what this is about. But I don't think you have to go to college to be educated. My granddad never went to college or finished high school for that matter. He was one of the smartest folks I ever met. And I think there are a lot of folks around like that.

Now THIS I agree with. But I think the church's failure is due to a lack of LOVE, not bachelors degrees.

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

This is serious research, not just some guy's polling and stats thrown quickly together. Read it carefully:
    [/quote]
    http://publicschoolsreport.com/resources/news/quality-of-education-in-public-schools/

I am sure that are Christian home-schoolers and Christian schools are doing far better than that.

#79 DHK, Mar 27, 2014
  20. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

But what DHK mentioned here
    is worth repeating.

There are a lot of folks getting degrees and pursuing knowledge. That doesn't make them educated. Schooled, yes. But definitely not educated. :laugh:

Well, if they are learned enough to be able to walk someone through the plan of salvation, I'll start teaching them to read and write if they so desire.:smilewinkgrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.