Gay Christians?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Calminian, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    All humans are tempted by various attractions. I also wonder why we as Christians would identify ourselves by the temptations God allows us to face. Our attractions do not define us. We are defined by our adoption as children of the King. All our brothers and sisters are here to encourage us to emulate our King and fight against the temptations that cause sorrow to our King.
    Galatians 6 gives us the process by which we help each other.

Galatians 6:1-10 Brothers,if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. For if anyone thinks he is something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself. But let each one test his own work, and then his reason to boast will be in himself alone and not in his neighbor. For each will have to bear his own load. Let the one who is taught the word share all good things with the one who teaches. Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.

2. Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    All four were bound in sexual sin and same sex attraction. God, in His grace has redeemed them and gives them grace upon grace.
    Now, what scares you about that testimony. Have the courage to listen rather than being judgmental without any reason.

3. Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think this is the point. Scripture doesn't focus on feelings, nor does it advocate identifying ourselves based on what we feel.

Should a man identify as promiscuous Christian, merely because he is not naturally inclined to monogamy? If he chooses to be faithful, should he not then count himself as faithful, and just think of himself as a regular Christian?

All Christians give up on the things. All who come to Christ are engaged in a battle with sinful desires, and we certainly don't identify with them and label ourselves with our sinful desires.

4. evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is much that is misunderstood and a HUGE stigma attached to addictive disorders. THAT is why I am passionate about educating people on what addiction is like, and that it is a disease rather than simply a choice.
    While I don't believe same sex attraction is a disease, there is also much stigma and misunderstanding surrounding same sex attraction. I have literally been told that I shouldn't be working with children because I'm bi, and I'll never be able to tell my own mother about it for goodness sakes. There is TONS of issues with that, we should have a safe place we can talk about this kind of stuff sans judgement and where we receive love and compassion rather than "we're going to remove you from children's ministry now"

Education and removing the stigma is my goal. (I think that is also why the LGBT community as a whole tends to be so loud)

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using Tapatalk

5. Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Nothing just wondering why these are the best of all other people to listened to? My guess is, even they don't make this claim.

6. Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, I'm kind of wondering what you think me or others are misunderstanding. Maybe you should have a conversation first, to find out what we believe.

Have I said anything to make you think I don't understand the nature of addiction?

I think a Christian who is a former homosexual can work with kids. I think former homosexuals have much to offer the Church. I'm just not sure you do, not because of your past sins or current inner struggles, but your present handling of Scripture and your views about continuing to label yourself as a homosexual. You are not someone I'd want to address Church on this subject, at least until you get that straightened out (no pun).

7. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's ok. I am fine with you being wrong.

8. evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not you direct, you as in people in general. There are still fricktons of people who judge addicts very harshly and refuse to see addicts in any compassionate light

You know next to nothing about my views on scripture at this point

9. Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There will always be people like this. But why project this onto others? Why prejudge? Aren't you doing exactly what you're complaining about?

10. evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wasn't. Not one iota. I was simply explaining why I identify with being a recovered addict, and using that to explain why I identify as bi. I have basically the same reason for both

11. Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But that's not what you're doing. You're not identifying as a recovering bi. I wish you would.

It seems you don't really understand what your position is.

12. Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can live like the world and get a new platform to talk to people, but that doesn't mean I should do it.

13. Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stop guessing. Listen to them. You will be blessed. I invite the OP to listen to them as well. They represent a very Godly approach to attractions and temptations and God's grace.

14. Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats what you always say when you are wrong.

15. Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You mean attached to sin. Addiction is a way to soften the word sin.
    Yeah it's called sin nature.

16. Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Situational Ethics. Does the ends justify the means?

17. Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, but if you have come out of a sinful lifestyle it gives tools to relate to people.

I cant in the least bit relate to my pastor. He has always been "perfect" since he was a kid. Most of the other men cant relate to him either. Its kind of like we are from different worlds.

18. evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like I said, if I were still experiencing addiction, I would call myself an addict

19. Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yeah, that's another thing that concerns me. Addiction generally is the result of sin, i.e. very wrong choices. Sometimes an addiction can form innocently, as in an incompetent doctor prescribing too many pain killers, but generally, it starts out as sin—bad decisions.

When the Bible discusses alcoholism, it warns about lingering too long with wine and allowing it to get a foothold. Sexual sin leading to addiction is no different. Taking the sin aspect out of it is a disservice to those you're trying to help. Yes, they'll love you for it, but that's a selfish motive.

20. evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I recommend Dr Wesley Hill