1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured ? - Gen 1:31

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by percho, May 18, 2020.

1. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hebrews 1:10 explicitly refers to Genesis 1:1-2.

2. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yes. It proves my case, and doesn't help yours. If it did you would have made an argument from it by now.

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sir, you have shown that God's very good purpose included arranging for the fall, by evading the question. Please do not waste my time with your false charges, even a dog knows when it is being kicked.

4. Calminian

Site Supporter

"arranging for the fall...." Bingo!

Isn't it interesting that you're so opposed to a simple straightforward reading of Genesis, you're willing to embrace fatalism.

For the record, no, I do not believe God arranged the fall. It was not cause by the existence of the tree, but rather the choice of an individual. I also believe that the freedom God gave Adam was very good.

5. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The foundation of the earth was laid in the beginning not in the third day. Hebrews 1:10, ". . . in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; . . ." Genesis 1:1-2.

I wrongly assumed you read the text.

6. Calminian

Site Supporter

Ah, finally got you to voice the actual argument. Now you're in trouble. :)

The word beginning in Gen. 1:1 is re’shiyth. As Sailhamer pointed out (to the detriment of his view) re’shiyth can refer to a beginning period, rather than just a beginning point. He gives many examples of this in the OT (Jehoiakim’s beginning-Jer. 26, and Zedekiah’s beginning-Jer. 27-28), and he is correct.

Thus day 3 is included in the beginning period. Context bears this out as well as day 3 falls between the two heaven and earth merisms from 1:1 to 2:1. No question at all the six days represent the beginning the author of Hebrews is referring to. He is not referring to some pre-six day period.

[​IMG]

#46 Calminian, May 20, 2020
    Last edited: May 20, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. timtofly

timtofly Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not trust your interpretation.

My interpretation states that God started creation on the first day.

Your interpretation states that God started creation 12 hours before the first day.

Your interpretation says Moses and Israel were wrong.

My interpretation says they knew and understood God completely.

8. Calminian

Site Supporter

Ah! This is a view that is based on the conflating the terms morning and day, and also evening and night. It's actually caused by an interpretation on your part. A bad one.

I forgot who is famous for making this argument, but it's based on a simple misunderstanding of the terms evening and morning. The irony is, it's even wrong in today's understanding of these terms.

Evening is a not a 12 hour period, nor is morning. Evening is a term that merely marks the close of a day (dusk). While morning is simply a term that marks the end of the night (dawn).

These are the twilight transition periods where the day begins to fade, and the darkness begins to break. They are not synonyms for day and night.

Bottom line, words matter. You need to know what they mean.

And here's a bonus verse to chew on.

Matt. 28:1 Now after the Sabbath, as the first day of the week began to dawn, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to see the tomb.​

Hmmmm.

#48 Calminian, May 20, 2020
    Last edited: May 20, 2020
  9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok you are wrong. Hebrews 1:10, John 1:1-3, Genesis 1:1-2.

10. Calminian

Site Supporter

11. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Psalms 102:25, ". . . Of old hast thou laid the foundation of the earth: . . ." Hebrews 1:10, ". . . in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; . . ." John 1:1, "In the beginning was the Word, . . ."

12. Calminian

Site Supporter

Further proves my case. Thank you. The beginning! re’shiyth! The word that defeats all gap theories and shuts the mouth of advocates.

13. timtofly

Faith:
    Baptist
    So in your limited fallen state of the twilight zone, you have declared yourself smarter and more knowledgeable than God. Hmm Satan?

God declares it so, and you and all other humans interpret it wrong. Yes there was a perfect 12 hours of darkness that God called night, and it started at 6pm that God calls evening. Then there was a perfect 12 hours of light called day, that started at 6am, that God called morning. It was perfect, and God called it perfect and set the names perfectly. Only fallen humans can get it wrong and argue about interpretations from experiences in a not perfect world with twilight zones.

14. Calminian

Site Supporter

Says the guy who doesn't even know the meaning of morning and evening. Nice try. You have no more arguments. Lament all you want. Genesis is true history, men are liars.

15. timtofly

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, let God be true, and every man a liar.

Yes Genesis is true history, and God defines the terms, not a man made dictionary.

16. Calminian

Site Supporter

LOL! Lexicon, timmy. Buy one. You have more theological hangups than dry-cleaner.

17. timtofly

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps theology is the hang up of mankind? Hope the noose does not tighten until the head needs to come off, instead of the mark coming out.

18. Calminian

Site Supporter

Hmmm. Theology—the study of God. All that words and bible stuff. Yeah, you don't need it. Don't think, feel!

19. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only thing it proves you think your point of view is not an interpretation. I think you are intellectually dishonest, and the sad part is you do not know you are. I would be fine with an interpretation the the foundation of the earth was caused on the third day, but you are so arrogant you actually said it was not an interpertation. So I gave you an interpretation the foundation of the earth was before the first day. And you simple want to disallow it. Ok.

20. Calminian

Site Supporter

Says the guy that just had his pet argument crushed. :rolleyes: