1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Genuine God-Given Faith

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by KenH, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Putting your own preferred interpretation in bold print does not make it right. The nearest antecedent to 'that' is 'faith,' and therefore it is a reasonable assumption that it is the faith that is the gift of God, though in fact, every aspect of salvation is of God (1 Corinthians 4:7).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Twaddle

3. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The YLT says it.
    Eph 2:8 for by grace ye are having been saved, through faith, and this not of you—of God the gift,
    You asked you receive but you can't show me where scripture says babies go to hell.
    MB

4. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't you have the Spirit of God living inside of you. If so then God is the gift. It's so simple a child could understand it. Yet you stumble over it
    Go ahead and call me a heretic if it makes you happy. The YLT makes my day every time though it ruined your's.,
    MB

5. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know God. Don't you? Ephesians 2:8 does not say God to be the Gift. But to make the Argument that God is a gift, John 17:3 with Romans 6:23 makes the case. Also noting 1 John 5:9-12.

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks, here we have
    In the future, when God gives someone to Christ, then God will have given Him or her, in the then past.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see the gift is eternal life although only two of your verses apply to eternal life. The gift certainly isn't faith as you were claiming before.
    MB

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is the verse (NKJV)

John 6:39
    “This is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day.

1) Does this address those already given, or anyone ever given? Answer - anyone ever given.
    2) Does this verse say that anyone has been given (spiritually placed into Christ) at the time Jesus spoke? Nope

What this verse actually says is whenever, past, present or future, God has given an individual to Christ, the Father's will is that Christ will loss none of those given.

Thus John 6:29 does not support election (God giving a person to Christ for salvation) before creation of the entire body of Christ. Calvinism reads that bogus view into the text. Critical reading is a skill apparently in scant supply among the gullible.

9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never claimed "faith" to be "eternal life." through faith yes. But faith does not cause anything. Knowing God, having Christ is to have eternal life, John 17:3, 1 John 5:12, 2 Corinthians 13:5.

10. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    An intentional false teaching.
    perhaps there should be a sci fi forum for such.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As predicted, all the advocates of false doctrine offer is "taint so."

Here is the verse (NKJV)

“This is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day.

1) Does this address those already given, or anyone ever given? Answer - anyone ever given.
    2) Does this verse say that anyone has been given (spiritually placed into Christ) at the time Jesus spoke? Nope

What this verse actually says is whenever, past, present or future, God has given an individual to Christ, the Father's will is that Christ will loss none of those given.

Thus John 6:29 does not support election (God giving a person to Christ for salvation) before creation of the entire body of Christ. Calvinism reads that bogus view into the text. Critical reading is a skill apparently in scant supply among the gullible.

12. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A literal translation throws you off doesn't it.
    I read a post here awhile back where the writers were claiming the KJV had so many mistakes. They claimed that the KJV was translated by Calvinist. At first I didn't know what to think of this. They discussed the Calvinist adding and taking away from scriptures in the translation of it..
    This is the YLT
    Eph 2:8 for by grace ye are having been saved, through faith, and this not of you—of God the gift,

This version is taken from the same majority of text. as the KJV The point is the KJV translators appears to have added to this verse
    I'm not accusing anyone but Greens interlinear also agrees with it The italics in this verse are two little words " IT IS'
    so the average person looks at it and says the gift is faith Even you called faith the gift.

You said;( "Putting your own preferred interpretation in bold print does not make it right. The nearest antecedent to 'that' is 'faith,' and therefore it is a reasonable assumption that it is the faith that is the gift of God, though in fact, every aspect of salvation is of God")

I assumed you were saying you believe that faith is the Gift even though we both know the Gift is" eternal life" Is this not true?
    MB

13. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. You seem not to understand some words or phrases the same way I do. "of God" for example. Ephesians 2:8 . . . θεου . . . and Romans 6:23 . . . του θεου . . . ." In both cases what is translated gift is "of" being from God. But God Himself is not being said to be the gift.

14. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Greek the "that" refers to "the Gift." referring to "saved." Ephesians 2:8. Those three words are the subject.

τη γαρ χαριτι εστε σεσωσμενοι δια της πιστεως
    For by grace are ye saved through faith

και τουτο ουκ εξ υμων θεου το δωρον
    and that not of yourselves [it is] the gift of God.

15. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    For γαρ
    by grace τη . . . χαριτι
    are ye εστε
    saved σεσωσμενοι
    through δια
    of faith της πιστεως

and και
    that τουτο
    not ουκ
    out of εξ
    yourselves υμων
    the gift το δωρον
    of God. θεου

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Has" is present tense. Christ is already in possession of these individuals when He said this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 6:39 does not support election (God giving a person to Christ for salvation) before creation of the entire body of Christ. Calvinism reads that bogus view into the text. Critical reading is a skill apparently in scant supply among the gullible.

The will of God, no matter when, remains the same, for Christ not to lose any that have been given to Him.

18. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unbelievable! In every sense of the word. Still, if Van can keep on repeating himself ad nauseam then I suppose I can.

'All those that He has given Me.' The tense is actually Perfect (Dedoken. Check it out), meaning a completed action in the past. Of all those whom the Father has once and for all given to the Lord Jesus before ever time was, He will lose not one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "taint so parade" marches on, with the band playing "I do not know and I do not care." Is the issue the tense of "given?" Nope. The idea is whenever individuals are given, they will not be lost. So if a person is given in the future, God's will is that those in that group of given individuals, will not be lost.

The inability of some to comprehend the obvious is amazing. So the band plays on...

Has anyone read John 17. And how Jesus prayed for His apostles that their words would result in more believers. The idea that God does not credit the faith of those who believe and place them into Christ in every generation since Christ's death is ludicrous. The scale of biblical nullification is "unbelievable."

20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure it does.