1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured God is Completely Sovereign or in Control of EVERYTHING that happens.

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Alan Gross, Jun 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Confession simply shows what God's word says; it is you who believes that God's word is 'twaddle' because it does not comply with your fallen human logic. I provided Romans 11:33-36 on another thread. It seems apposite here.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When God says Job was blameless, he is not saying Job was sinless and perfect. That's just silly thinking on your part. In Job 1 we read that Job was offering up sacrifices for his whole family in atonement for their sins. This is only done when you know you are a sinner. Blameless does not mean sinless. Job was doing everything according to God's will when he sinned, thus God calls him blameless.
    Read the book of Job sometime. Note that God brings up Job's name, not Satan. God is using Satan and playing him like a fiddle to display his Sovereignty in Job's life. Has it not been for the fact that Job was well versed in God's Sovereignty and also gifted faith by God, Job would have folded like a cheap suit. But God gave him the capacity to persevere.
    Job 1:20-21 Then Job arose and tore his robe and shaved his head and fell on the ground and worshiped. And he said, “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked shall I return. The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.”
    2:10 But he said to her, “You speak as one of the foolish women would speak. Shall we receive good from God, and shall we not receive evil?” In all this Job did not sin with his lips.
    Job 19:25-27 For I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last he will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been thus destroyed, yet in my flesh I shall see God, whom I shall see for myself, and my eyes shall behold, and not another. My heart faints within me!

Tim, you completely misunderstand the Book of Job and thus you miss this great book that declares the goodness and sovereignty of God. That's a shame, but it explains to some extent why you fail to grasp God's Sovereignty in all things.

3. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When does God ordain men to follow their sinful desires? Before they experience those desires or after?

If before the beginning of the world, how does God know a particular person will have particular desires?

4. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    How does the all knowing God not know?
    If God knows the number of hairs on a person's head is it too much to know exactly what is going to happen and why even before it happens?
    Honestly, it seems you are imagining God as being a finite human.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did God know how many hairs you would have before He decided to make the world? Jesus said The Father “numbers” the hairs. That’s another way of saying He counts them. Are you disagreeing with Jesus?

There are lots of verses that say God knows things by observing them.
    Psalms 139:1 (KJV) O LORD, thou hast searched me, and known [me].
    Hebrews 4:13 (KJV) Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things [are] naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.
    Are you disagreeing with those verses?

Can you point to a verse that says God just automatically knows stuff about you?

6. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, God knew everything about everything before time existed. God created time, which means God lives outside of time.
    Lewis Sperry Chafer, in his systematic theology volumes, explains this by asking people to imagine themselves as people in a parade, but God is watching the parade from a blimp. God sees the beginning and end simultaneously as well as everything in-between.
    God is all-powerful, all-knowing, all- seeing and always in complete control. You cannot take God by surprise.

Do you not believe any of those things? Is God weak and incapacitated by the future?

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. timtofly

timtofly Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Except you know very little about me. Saying I do not grasp the Sovereignty of God is a guess on your part. What does righteousness mean to you? Elihu could not be more righteous than Job according to you, if you do not know the full story of Sovereignty.

8. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Psalm 147:5
    Great is our Lord and abundant in strength;
    His understanding is infinite.
    1 John 3:20
    in whatever our heart condemns us; for God is greater than our heart and knows all things.
    Psalm 139:4
    Even before there is a word on my tongue,
    Behold, O Lord, You know it all.
    Matthew 10:30
    But the very hairs of your head are all numbered.
    Psalm 147:4
    He counts the number of the stars;
    He gives names to all of them.
    Hebrews 4:13
    And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are open and laid bare to the eyes of Him with whom we have to do.
    Psalm 44:21
    Would not God find this out?
    For He knows the secrets of the heart.
    1 Chronicles 28:9
    “As for you, my son Solomon, know the God of your father, and serve Him with a whole heart and a willing mind; for the Lord searches all hearts, and understands every intent of the thoughts. If you seek Him, He will let you find Him; but if you forsake Him, He will reject you forever.
    Isaiah 40:28
    Do you not know? Have you not heard?
    The Everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth
    Does not become weary or tired.
    His understanding is inscrutable.
    Isaiah 46:9-10
    “Remember the former things long past,
    For I am God, and there is no other;
    I am God, and there is no one like Me,
    Declaring the end from the beginning,
    And from ancient times things which have not been done,
    Saying, ‘My purpose will be established,
    And I will accomplish all My good pleasure’;
    1 Kings 8:39
    then hear in heaven Your dwelling place, and forgive and act and render to each according to all his ways, whose heart You know, for You alone know the hearts of all the sons of men,
    Acts 1:24
    And they prayed and said, “You, Lord, who know the hearts of all men, show which one of these two You have chosen
    14 Bible verses about God, Omniscience Of

9. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know you have very little understanding of what God was saying about Job and what God was doing with Satan. I suggest you actually study the book of Job and then share. What you claimed about Job being perfect is just silly.

10. timtofly

timtofly Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So now God is silly for pointing out that Job was righteous in God's eyes?

11. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’m not going to be convinced just because you make the claim. Can you give me scriptural support? Or is God not able to describe Himself well enough, that someone needs to add to it?

12. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

This is an excellent example of circular reasoning

13. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If Job was 'perfect,' why do you think he needed to repent in dust and ashes (Job 42:6)?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is actually a very important statement and one which people are very prone to forget or ignore. God found it necessary to remind the Israelites, 'I am God, your God!' (Psalms 50:7) and to rebuke then with the words, 'You thought I was altogether like you!' (Psalms 50:21).
    Humans are often prone to make God in their image and cast Him as just a somewhat great greater version of themselves, but He is actually not like us (Isaiah 55:8-11). I think it is good to consider what are called the 'incommunicable attributes' of God - that is, those attributes which mankind does not share in any way.
    God is self-existent - we are created.
    God is eternal - we are temporal.
    God is immutable - we are changeable.
    God is infinite - we are limited.
    God is perfect - we are imperfect.
    God is omniscient - we know in part.
    God is omnipotent - such limited power as we have is derived from Him.
    God is 'simple;' that is, He is not composed of parts as we are and therefore not susceptible to division - we are complex.

God is God; we are not.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To spare readers your customary ranting. They are still able to read it on your post.
    Nowhere does Romans 8:29-30 speak of anyone being 'placed in Christ.' But do you believe that someone conformed to the image of the Lord Jesus Christ may still end up in hell? 'Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified' (v.30). Do you believe that someone can be justified and glorified and yet not be saved?
    Again, there is no mention in Ephesians 1:5 of anyone being 'placed in Christ.' Do you believe that someone can be adopted as a son by Jesus Christ and not be saved?
    The verse nowhere speaks of 'redemption,' though certainly that is in view. But do you believe that one can be redeemed and yet not be saved? The verse tells us that God predestines 'all things.' Do you suppose that salvation is somehow not included in 'all things'?
    'This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners......' (1 Timothy 1:15). So if Christ was predestined before the ages, so was salvation.
    1 Timothy 1:15 applies again. Christ came 'to give His life a ransom for many' (Mark 10:45).

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why pray "Lead us not into temptation"?

17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Both of these statements address that God is indeed all powerful, and thus if God chooses to not allow something it does not happen. On and on folks, denial of the obvious.

18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another "taint so" post. If God predestines whatsoever comes to pass, He causes the sin He punishes us for committing. Twaddle

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No need to address this twaddle, I have presented the biblical refutations many time.

20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now we have the subject change effort. Because we can choose to follow God's will for our life, we ask for the path which provides the greatest glory to God.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.