1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured God is Completely Sovereign or in Control of EVERYTHING that happens.

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Alan Gross, Jun 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But God works in us to will and do of his good pleasure. How can we choose to follow his plan unless he reveals it and motivates us to do it? Doing what you think might be his plan can lead to hell.

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another change the subject post. When we are sealed in Christ with the Holy Spirit, then God works in us to will and do His good please.

But before we are placed and sealed in Christ, we are under sin, and are led to Christ by scripture, and the witnesses thereof. It is through the call of the gospel, we are drawn to Christ, as we behold Him high and lifted up, dying for our sin.

3. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In chess-playing circles this is known as resignation.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No it is you claiming victory as you run from truth using disparagement and deflection.

5. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :Rolleyes

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    God must give you a new heart before you would ever believe and repent. If not, you have the wrong god.

“And the LORD thy God will circumcise thine heart, and the heart of thy seed, to love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, that thou mayest live.” Deuteronomy 30:6 (KJV 1900)

• Like Like x 2
  7. timtofly

timtofly Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The point was that he was. Are you saying Job was not perfect in chapter 1, because of a verse in chapter 42?

8. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your focus is wrong. Of course God exercised His sovereignty to protect Job in the face of Satan’s incitements. But can you answer about God’s sovereignty over the other characters in the drama?

Were Job’s 3 friends’ completely under God’s control? How do you know from the passage?

How could Satan “incite” God to do anything if God was controlling Satan’s every thought?

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is an example of misrepresentation. Did Martin deny the "inheritance" in view is our bodily redemption (Romans 8:23)?
    Did I say a person can be redeemed but not saved? Nope so deflection and misrepresentation on display.
    Does the verse say or suggest God predestines "all things?" Nope.

Here is the actual verse (NASB):
    Ephesians 1:11
    also we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel of His will,

So the verse actually says:
    1) as born anew believers in Christ, we have obtained an inheritance.
    2) Our inheritance is our bodily redemption at Christ's second coming.
    3) This future occurrence is according to God's purpose
    4) God "works" (causes or allows) all things after (or according to) the counsel of His will.

So the Calvinist twists this verse and claims it says "God predestines all things."

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Note the claim we must have a new heart ignores Galatians 3:24 where those under sin a led to Christ without a new heart.
    And of course the "circumcision of Christ" occurs after God puts us into Christ. Thus Deut. 30:6 is just another non-germane citation.

11. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dead spirits cannot discern spiritual truth, namely God. God must save a person by giving them a resurrected new heart before they can believe.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am saying that he was not perfect in the sense of being totally free from fault. The word in question is tam (Strongs 8535). It is applied to Jacob (who was certainly far from perfect) in Genesis 25:27 where it is usually translated 'mild.' It tends elsewhere to have the meaning of integrity or completeness.

Ecclesiastes 7:20 applies.

Addendum: I don't know Hebrew. What I have written above has come out of a Word Study Dictionary.
    However, I do know some Greek and the Greek word teleios, which is also translated 'perfect in 1 Corinthians 13:10 and elsewhere, is rendered as 'men' or 'mature' in 1 Corinthians 14:20, and as 'complete' elsewhere. In secular Greek it can mean 'ripe.' An apple might be ripe and perfect for eating, yet have the odd spot on it that needs to be cut out.

#52 Martin Marprelate, Jun 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indeed. @Van confuses 'dead' with 'not very well.'
    Long John Silver knew more theology than Van. He trained his parrot to say, "Dead men don't bite." And they don't. Nor do they speak, hear or believe.
    Lazarus is dead. He's been in the tomb for four days. Now you can tell Lazarus that it's not a good thing to be dead, and explain the disadvantages to him. You can tell him how much better it is to be alive and how much more fun he would have, but he won't respond to you, and he certainly won't come to life. Why not? Because he's dead.
    And it's even worse than that. Lazarus is a stinker (John 11:39). He's in a bad odour with God because he's dead in trespasses and sin. He has no right to come to life.
    'But God, who is rich in mercy, because of the great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved)' (Ephesians 2:4-5). Do the dead raise themselves? Not at all! 'God.......made us alive.' When the Lord Jesus Christ says, "Lazarus, come forth!" Lazarus will come. When they hear the word of the Son of God, the dead will rise (John 5:25; 1 Corinthians 1:21).
    And this is accomplished in our day by the preaching of the Gospel. 'And He said to me, "Son of man, can these bones live?" So I answered, "O Lord God, You know." Again He said to me, "Prophesy to the bones, and say to them, "O dry bones, hear the word of the LORD!"' So do the dry bones come to life of their own accord when they hear the word? Not at all! 'Thus says the LORD God to te bones: "Surely I will cause breath to enter you, and you shall live. I will put sinews on you and bring flesh upon you, cover you with skin and put breath in you; and you shall live. then you shall know thyat I am the LORD"' (Ezekiel 37:3-6).

So does Galatians 3:24 contradict any of this? Not at all, and it is impossible that it should. All that verse says is that the preaching of the law brings people to faith. You look elsewhere to find that faith is the gift of God (Ephesians 2:8).

• Like Like x 1
  14. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God is God, According to Who God Says God is, and not Who the mind of carnal men reasoning within a sin-cursed brain of Natural flesh, THINK God is.

• Like Like x 1
  15. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are we placed and sealed in Christ by our own choice? Is God like an employee at the meat counter of our grocery store? He just takes our order?

16. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Implying the Teaching in the passage is not applicable to the rest of the passage is irrational.

So, my focus is rational.

17. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How did you get that from my post.
    God played Satan like a fiddle. God correctly stated that Job was blameless. God did not say Job was perfect. Had God said that, then God would have lied. Job 1 tells us that Job made sacrifices for his family in case they had sinned. Job was walking upright with God (blameless, not perfect).
    God points out Job to Satan so that God can show Satan and all of us that the gift of faith brings with it... perseverance. God enables Job to persevere through this extreme trial precisely because God had given Job faith in the full Sovereignty of God.
    Job is perhaps my favorite book in the Bible. It reveals to us the problem of pain and the response of the upright in the midst of pain.
    I suggest you actually read the book from cover to cover in one sitting. It's fabulous.

18. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Assuming your preconceptions are really what God meant to convey is irrational.

19. timtofly

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wait? What? Satan has no free will. BUT no free thoughts? What is your proof?

20. timtofly

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dead Spirits? Even demons believe and tremble, can you get a deader spirit than a demon? James 2:19
    "Thou believest that there is one God: thou doest well: the devils also believe it, and tremble."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.