Good Books on Evangelism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by John of Japan, Dec 21, 2016.

1. evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. Lordship salvation is the correct view. Free Grace is the false view.

2. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Robert Coleman was a seminary professor and a genuine scholar. This book is a detailed examination with copious sources and footnotes about how Jesus did evangelism. Essentially, it teaches a multiplication ministry instead of addition ministry. By that I mean that Coleman taught that we should train those we win to Christ to win others in their turn. Thus the final effect is much greater, and every creature can be reached for Christ much faster. I recommend this book highly.

3. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then why have you over and over touted on the BB the books of an Arminian Charismatic, Ray Comfort?

4. evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well because The Way of the Master was used at a former SBC church I used to attend with a Calvinistic leaning. It was also used at a former reformed Baptist Church I used to attend, and its used in the evangelism program of my parents calvinistic church.

While Comfort is not perfect his evangelism program The Way of the Master is the best. There are some questions about his theology, but for the practical and a basic view I recommend The Way of the Master. Comfort is frowned upon on this board, but can you answer the question as to why many Calvinist Baptist Churches use him in their evangelism training?

5. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John R. Rice saw over 200,000 saved through his personal witness, books, tracts, revival meetings, newspaper, etc. (This count reckoned by adding the figures in his biography.) I'd say that anyone who claims to know 20th century evangelism, without referencing John R. Rice and his works, is ignorant of the subject.

There have been at least 3 PhD dissertations (none by IFBs) and at least 3 Master's theses on this man of God. I'd say the scholarly world knows John R. Rice's influence, even if you don't.
    "We" don't need to do anything. You are not part of my "we." Maybe you "need" to recommend Calvinist books on evangelism, but I "want" (not "need") to recommend good books on evangelism, whoever wrote them.

Please read The Soul Winner, by Calvinist Spurgeon, then get back to the thread. Also, try Evangelism Explosion, by Presbyterian James Kennedy.

6. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently, then, these pastors had not carefully and critically read the man's books, or they would not have recommended them.

I will answer your question as soon as you prove that what you say is true. What Calvinist Baptist churches other then the two you mention use Comfort's program? What percentage of Calvinist Baptist churches?

7. annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Because as you've pointed out, you can't say anything about a book unless you've read it. John has stated that these books are some of the best books on evangelism. You can't say otherwise because you haven't read them. Read them then get back to us.

8. evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Get real I am not going to mention the names of the churches I used to attend. I remember once sending a email to a professor at a Reformed Baptist School and he got interested in WOTM. But regarding Baptist Churches I have heard many WOTM Radio podcasts and Todd has mentioned interests by SBC churches in The Way of the Master.

Also I challenge you to call up living waters and ask them what churches are buying their tracts? I bet you a donut that there are Baptists buying their materials.

9. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is a recommendation I made on another thread:

Folks, going through my books on evangelism, I found again the classic by R. A. Torrey, Personal Work. This book has a great chapter on "How to Deal with Professed Sceptics and Infidels," which I think is relevant to this very day. The book is the first half of his larger work, How to Work for Christ. You can find a pdf of the larger work here: http://www.biblesnet.com/RA Torrey How to Work for Christ Volume 1 Personal Work.pdf

What Torrey would do is get the skeptic or atheist to sign a statement that they would pray, "God, if there is a god, show yourself to me," then read the Bible. He saw many atheists and doubters saved with this method.

10. evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have read enough non Calvinist books on evangelism (Share Jesus without Fear, Mark Cahill's collection, Conversational Evangelism, The fifth gospel, etc). I do not need to read anymore non Calvinist books.

11. evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its not about a method its about God's sovereign election granting faith and repentance to people.

12. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't ask for names of churches. I simply asked for verification of your statement. Apparently you can't do that.

This would be me answering the question concerning verification which I asked you. That's a non-starter. :Biggrin

13. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, really? Then you should stop recommending WOTM, because it's a method.

But actually, Torrey's book is not about a method, it simply gives wise ways to answer the objections of people to the Gospel. That's what Kirk Cameron and Ray Comfort do in their book The School of Biblical Evangelism, FYI. ;)

14. evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hold. Sent an email.

15. Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    John did not ask for churches you attended.

16. annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Then you cannot speak to whether Dr. Rice's books are good or not, can you?

17. evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    JOJ got an answer that quite a few Calvinist buy the tracts.

18. evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh for the love of the rabbit! What is a good John R Rice book on evangelism to buy? I will check the iBooks store.

19. annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Umm - maybe read the first post??

20. evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not available in the iBooks store