1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Halloween

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by steveo, Oct 15, 2005.

1. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

I wish that when I was still raising my children that I had known what I now know about this evil holiday. I am sure that I would have done things much differently.
    I believe Christians as a hole do not do a very good job of getting kids away from the evil influence of halloween.

2. NomadsWife

NomadsWife New Member

Our church has a Harvest Party for the kids so they can have some fun and not feel left out because they don't get to go trick or treating like their peers. They get to play games and they get some candy.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

So much for letting each being convinced in his own mind.

4. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

I believe if I still did the things the I was convinced of in my own mind I would not be in God's will .We are supposed to help one another see clearly right from wrong aren't we? :confused:

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

How? It was not intended to even be regarded as "satans day". </font>[/QUOTE]when you celebrate it the way the worls does, with witches and denoms and momsters and junk, yes it is being dedicated to satan.

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

Are you kidding, that never happens here

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

This topic isn't a "right/wrong" issue. It's definitely a "let each be convinced in his own mind" issue.

8. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

It seems to me that the worst thing about Halloween is that it trivializes that which is in direct opposition to the Christian way of life. The occult, witches, demons, the devil, seances, spells, etc. are treated as innocent fun things, a joke, a mere fantasy passtime. Children see their parents unconcerned with such things and so they, too, are unconcerned and think evil is not really so bad.

If it were only "dress-up", candy, and/or a party then fine, no problem but, it isn't. It is saying to the kids, it is saying to the world that we think these things are NOT dangerous, that evil is NOT adhorred, that we will, in fact, join in the fun just to make sure that everyone understands that these things are just toys and couldn't possibly have any real, negative effect on anyone.

9. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I personally think that by "avoiding the day totally" you give it more importance, and probably make it, and the things you seem to fear about it, more appealing to children.

When I first moved into this neighborhood my daughter was young, and she mentioned that she was going to be a princess on Halloween. Her little friend threw her nose into the air and said, "We don't worship Satan at MY house." The whole group of neighbors gasped. I said, "We don't at our house either because Jesus Christ is the most important thing in the universe to us, but we learned that we can dress up and enjoy a church festival without being afraid of witches or other things."

That year every child on the block was dressing up and attending the church festival.

I teach my children how to deal with the things of the world through scripture and prayer. I don't try to "hide" them from the world, because they WILL have to live in the world. Better to learn to deal with the world in a Christ like manner.

I met far too many Catholic-School-Girls who ended up wild as march hares because they were sheltered instead of trained.

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Living in Ireland, the home of Hallowe'en, which came about to replace Samhain, I guess we see the "importance" of this day a little differently. Originally 1 November was the the first day of the Celtic new year as celebrated by the Druids. 31 October as therefore New Years Eve and was attended by all sorts of evils. The Catholic Church adopted the tradition, making 1 November All Saints Day and 31 October All Hallows Eve. There is no coincidence between the holidays, there is a direct correlation.

With the demise of the church here Hallowe'en is returning to its pagan roots and the celebration is more and more like Samhain every year.

We have always avoided Hallowe'en, but even more so since we have lived here.

Knowing what we know about the day, it would be very difficult for us to observe it at all here or in the States.

11. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

The one thing that I have noticed about Halloween is that if you ask a kid about the day, they will say that it is about candy and costumes. Kids have no idea nor do they care that Halloween is or is not an evil holiday.

When I am able, I get my kids to some type of church sponsored event on or around that day. Usually, most people will go to some kind of large event, ie. a trunk or treat, rather than take a chance by going door to door. Let the churches take charge of the day and show the love of Christ by reaching out to the community. Let's not get so high up on our moral superiority that we loose the chance to reach out to the world.

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

A decision not to acknowledge Hallowe'en is not a case of "getting high up on our moral superiority", it is a valid decision based of one's own choices.

It seems often that those who choose to celebrate are just as quilty of judging the other side as those who do not celebrate.

13. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

The presentation of an alternative is NOT an acknowledgment or acceptance of the holiday. It is an opportunity to show the community how to enjoy themselves in a Christian atmosphere and to begin to open doors to reach people that we may not otherwise have the chance to reach.

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

And those who do not choose that option are not guilty of being "...so high up on our moral superiority that we loose the chance to reach out to the world."

It is not a matter of "moral superiority" either wayt. It is a matter of choices. Its that simple.

15. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

When you do so because of the "evil" of the holiday and all that it supposedly refers to, then that is taking an air of moral superiority. But I do not believe that it is required to do as I do, just don't look down on me because I do. If you don't then that is what you have to answer for, not me.

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Wow! Such harsh talk, a prejudgement that those who do not acknowledge the day look down on those who do.

My stating my views on the day are simply that, my views.

As I said, I could not acknowledge the day in any way. Are you willing to grant me that opinion without prejudging me of an "air of moral superiority?"

I guess the above poster above was correct - there is no room in this discussion for "letting every man be fully convinced in his own mind."

17. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

If you don't want to do anything then don't, I don't have to answer for useing a flimsy excuse of the "evil intent of the day" or whatever you want to call it, for not reaching out to a community that may be open on that particular day to the gospel. I believe that using that excuse is done out of a moral superiority to those who don't have the same view.

Am I harsh? Maybe, but I think that not doing anything is wrong and we are looking like we don't care by separating so much and so far as we do so many times.

No offense meant and I appologize if I did offend. I feel very strongly that we as an overall body of believers do a really bad job of reaching out to the lost community when we have such a perfect chance to do so. Especially when we use such a weak excuse. I believe that we will answer in a negative way when we stand before Christ.

18. Elnora

Elnora New Member

C4K,

Please don't stop discussing this subject. I am still very interested. We do not celebrate it and have not for quite a few years. We also are not judging those that do. It seems to be a process for people in their walk. The Lord is continually refining us, changing us into what he wants us to be. It does help that the kids and grandbabies don't like it either. :D

19. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I will gladly stand before the Lord and answer for my decision on Hallowe'en. This is one area where I know that I can do so with full confidence.

God has been very gracious to allow us many opportunities to share our faith by explaining why we take such a stand. My lost friends and neighbours would be appalled if we decided to commemorate the day in any way.

I don't think I have ever encountered anyone before who judges those who don't observe Hallowe'en with such vehemence. Maybe the "air of moral superiority" goes both ways? Surely, there must be room for nonjudgmental disagreement here jshurley?

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I don't celebrate Hallowe'en for the same "kind" of reason that I won't celebrate "Gay Pride Day." I don't see the difference. The reason is association. The one associates itself with evil spirits, the occult, and all that the Bible teaches against in that area. The other associates itself with gross immorality, and all that the Bible teaches in that area. So what is the difference? There is none. It is association with evil in both cases. I would take the opportunity at Hallowe'en and use it as an opportunity to educate others why not to celebrate it, rather than just to give into the masses that do.
    DHK