1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

have u thanked the Lord 4 ur smokin hot wife ?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by pinoybaptist, Jul 25, 2011.

1. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I didn't like Talladega Nights the first time I saw it and didn't care for it this time.

Doesn't matter to me what a man prays in front of a crowd. Personally I'd be a but more sober in my reflection.

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

if you, me or anyone were a member of his church you would be like him as this was not some solitary event. This is the man.

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I hate to be a party pooper, but it made me sick. I'm with Abcgrad. God is not to be spoken to or of in that manner. Nobody fears God anymore.

4. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You're no party pooper here Amy. Instead you are on the right track.

5. Dempster

Dempster New Member

Sacrilegious, for sure. I would be afraid to do something like that.

I know a pastor who got upset with a deacon because the deacon had told someone (regarding a matter during a service) to "just slip out during one of the prayers so no one notices you". The pastor told me he was upset that the deacon did this because he said that, during a prayer, the one doing the praying is talking to God.....the Creator of the Universe. It should be a holy moment. Why in the world would we think that would be the right time to "slip out" of church?

I agreed with that pastor. Prayers should be serious and not just something done as a formality at a ballgame, car race, or even because it appears next in the church bulletin. When it becomes routine (or as in this NASCAR event, entertainment) it is no longer a prayer.

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Who is the offended party here: God or us?

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I would say both. Just like I am offended when someone uses the Lord's name in vain. You offend my Lord and you offend me. Both.

8. SonPraises

SonPraises New Member

I am at a loss for words. Unbelievable.

I know that if this were my pastor who had taken such pains to make himself a friend of the world, there would be issues.

He's sure to get reinvited to offer the...um...prayer again. This is the only prayer I've ever heard that made me wonder if he got a product placement fee.

And as for the smokin' hot wife comment, there's not a day that passes that I don't thank God for my wife. She is a blessing in more ways than I can cont and in more ways than I probably realize, and while I think of her in those terms, I'm propriatary about it. I don't want anyone else to think about her in those terms.

9. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I can understand using the name of the Lord in vain.

10. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

It was the prayer of Ricky Bobby! :laugh:

This prayer was obviously thick in colloquialism and cultural phenomena, employing metaphoric language that was sure to be understood by his audience, and unfortunately misunderstood by all Pharisees and some well meaning Christians watching from the outside.

11. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We Are Both in One Spirit....

:laugh:
    ....when it comes to this matter! Do you find it a little strange that someone like me can agree with you on this topic :laugh:

I think you and I are very much in agreement on everything we've discussed on spiritual issues. We are merely separated by the bridge located on Semantic Street :thumbs:

Shalom,

Pastor Paul :type:

12. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would not in good conscience be able to sit under the teaching of a pastor who counts my Lord's name so common.

I wonder what those in his church are thinking about this.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    folks this was a spoof (albeit poor) on the Talladega Nights movie. nothing more.....the guy was trying to mimic the Rickey Bobby character. If you saw the movie you know how sophomoric it is

14. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Someone posted earlier---whether God got a good laugh out of the prayer

More along the lines of John 11:35----I would say!!!!!!!!!!!!:tear::tear::tear:

I seriously doubt if (1) the same preacher will be called upon to pray at the next Southern Baptist Convention meeting----nor (2) will I wait on him to offer an apology on the same news networks he was recorded on --- nor will(3) I ask him to come preach revival for me here in Alabama

15. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

"thick in colloquialism" There is nothing informer about speaking to God.

"cultural phenomena" Then pray to the culture and not to God

"metaphoric language" A claim made by the rebellous and liberal sects to justify their rebellion.

16. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

There is nothing informal about speaking to God? Really? That is a big blanket statement. Do you mean primarily in reference to public prayers with adult audiences or would that statement cover all of the vast scenarios, audiences and inveronments that prayer can be made? And how formal should one have to be? Are you referring to a relative formality or a one-size-fits-all style of praying that all people must use?

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That takes a lot of courage to say in here! Good for you.

18. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Perhaps a too broad of a word, but I mean in speaking to God it should be of a nature to honor Him instead to the best of each one's ability instead of trying to bring Him down to man's standards with mockery. The liberals and the lost hold God and themselves, as buffoons, and they speak to Him and about Him in the manner this man did as well as those who seek to support his method. That is what I meant. Sorry for the confussion.

#38 freeatlast, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2011
  19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hope you are all on your blogs saying this exact thing...IE reinforcing "Reverence for the Almighty" If its not put out there by us, than who will?

20. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

That would be my desire also. One thing you will not find is me trying to be a clown using the Lord as my puppet and justifying it while mocking Him for the crowd nor will you see me defend those who do.