1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Have you attended Mass?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by BrianT, Jul 16, 2003.

?
  1. Yes, and I was Catholic at the time

63.2%
  2. Yes, and I was Baptist at the time

2.6%
  3. Yes, and I was of another denomination at the time

10.5%
  4. Yes, and at that time I did not consider myself a Christian

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Don't know / maybe / can't remember / other

10.5%
  6. No, never have never will

5.3%
  7. No, but would like to

7.9%
  8. No, never had interest one way or the other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Have you ever attended a Catholic Mass?

2. stubbornkelly

stubbornkelly New Member

Yes. My best friend through middle and high school was (is? I'm not sure, we've lost touch) Catholic, and the times I spent the night at her house on a Saturday I would go with them to Mass. She came to my Baptist church, too, when she stayed over on Saturday nights.

It was different. Not bad, really, just different. I didn't take communion in their church, although no one would have stopped me from doing so.

I also attended a few in college while our choir was on tour - we would sometimes sing at a Sunday morning service, and a few were Catholic services.

3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've attended Catholic Masses on a few occasions. In fact, I'm going to a wedding this Friday evening at a Catholic church and they will celebrate Mass.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yes, I have. I've also attended an Anglican and Greek Orthodox mass, Methodist, Presbyterian, Salvation Army, Reformed, and SDA services, and have attended a Jewish synagogue.

5. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Yes, I have. Too many times to count. I was raised Catholic and attended a Catholic grade school, so I went to mass seven days a week until I got into High School.

6. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Only once that I remember. I thought the benches were really cool with the pull out things for kneeling on. LOL
    Gina

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

MY mother's family is catholic, so I was raised with catholic influnces, even though my mom was not a praticing catholic, we went a few times with my grandmother. It was confusing, nothing like the baptist church I had been to a few times.

8. Bugman

Bugman New Member

My parents (who aren't catholic) sent me to a Catholic shool for grades 4 through 6, every Month we went to Mass. The first time I went I had only limited expirence at church and had no idea what was going on. I ened up taking communion becasue it looked like the right thing to do. After I told my mom that I did this it was explained to me that I don't take it, which I was happy about becasue it tasted awful to me.

Needless to say now that I'm a born again believer the expirence of going to Mass has offered me insight into Catholism that I wouldn't have had otherwise. I would have no problem going to observe what goes on in one, and I think most people should see one in person to understand what it is better.

Bryan
    SDG

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When a lad, almost all of my neighborhood chums were RC. The Jews that were my friends were moving out (white flight) to the suburbs, with blacks moving in - typical city migration.

So I gave up going to synagogue and went to Mass. At 9 the father (who dressed like a mother) said I would have to go to confession if I wanted to be an acolyte or altar boy.

I had hit puberty at 9 (very early) and there was NO WAY I was going to confess to ANYONE what was going on in my hormone-crazed brain.

So I headed to the Baptist church down the street . . . :rolleyes:

10. Gunther

Gunther New Member

We are forbidden to part on the Lord's table and the table of demons. Therefore, I will never attend mass.

11. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Ok Dr. Bob. There goes the myth that Baptists are in it for theological reasonings! LOL!
    Most of the people I knew in public school were Catholics or nothing. My best friend for years was Catholic. For all the talk about how friends influence friends, we never really talked about it. She was the one I went to mass with, but it was just because I spent the weekend with her. We never talked about it much, even though we were young teens and certainly old enough to take those things seriously.
    I don't know if I just grew up in an odd place or things have changed. I see teens now seeking out friends of their own religion or limiting contact with certain friends based on it. None of us where I grew up ever did that. :confused:
    Gina

12. ColoradoFB

ColoradoFB New Member

I was raised in the Methodist Church, and one of the most interesting thing was that we visited other religions services with our entire Sunday School class as kids. The two I remember most were the Catholic service and the Jewish synagogue. The synagogue was the best...the Rabbi showed us the Torah and we got to learn about the Jewish faith.

13. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I taught Comparative Religions at an ifb college and each semester took the class to meet with various religions first-hand. May be the only time they got to see/hear what others were saying.

We did four local visits as a class (met at Catholic, Lutheran, Charismatic and Adventist in our city). We did six others on Saturdays or an evening, and students had to chose 2 to attend and report on (Muslim, Jewish, Messianic, Buddhist, Greek Orthodox, Episcopal)

What an eye-opening experience to have these students attend and observe, then visit with the pastor or imman or priest. Always pleased me to see questions raised. Ask any of my former students and they will all agree it was among the best classes offered.

14. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

I have been to two funeral masses (although I did not participate - simply attended to pay my respects). During the first I almost evacuated the building when I smelt wood burning - thankfully I realised it was the priest coming down the aisle burning incense before I totally humiliated myself!!

15. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

I have been to two funeral masses (although I did not participate - simply attended to pay my respects). During the first I almost evacuated the building when I smelt wood burning - thankfully I realised it was the priest coming down the aisle burning incense before I totally humiliated myself!!

16. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

I've never been to a regular Mass. But my first husband was Catholic and so I've attended many Catholic weddings and funeral Masses.

I will say that the little padded kneeling bench that pulls down at the back of the pew in front of you is pretty cool. I can't tell you how many times I've knelt on the ground at my church and had to face where I had just been sitting (and where lots of other people have sat) to pray. It would be nice if they had that sort of thing at non-Catholic churches so that a person could face the front of the auditorium when they knelt to pray at church instead of putting their face so near where so many people have put their back sides.

I thought it was interesting that the congregation has responsive prayers to what the priest is saying too. I felt a little out of place not knowing what came next, except in the Lords prayer...but even then the words were a little different.

All I know is it's an altogether different type of religion than what I'm used to.

17. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It’s a real shame that so many Baptists are scared of appearing “Catholic” that we don’t routinely have prayer benches connected to the pews in Baptist church facilities.

When the church where I grew up was renovating the worship area, our pastor at the time suggested we add the kneeling benches. The suggestion was rejected out of hand since “Baptists don’t do that”. (I suspect that was part of our problem!)

When I was in college I made regular use of the Episcopal church facility near the campus. The doors were always unlocked and the “sanctuary” was very quiet and worship-oriented. It was a much better place for me to pray than the tiny prayer room located behind the chapel on the university campus.

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Oh, then you know what tartan plaid is. ;)

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

:confused: I figured someone would toss that in eventually.

20. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I took several comparative religions classes in the course of high school and college. You remind me on one of my college instructors. I highly HIGHLY recommend a comp religions class to everyone. It's incredibly rewarding, and you learn a lot, not just about other faith, but about your own as well.