1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hebrews 9:27

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Jun 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mat 11:28-30 (edited)
    “Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.
    “Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. “For My yoke is beneficial and My burden is light.”

Here we have the invitation, which intervenes with all who hear and understand. Does come to Me refer to mentally embracing Christ as our Lord and Savior, or propelling ourselves into the kingdom of God? Certainly our actions of "taking Christ's "yoke" and learning His commands and instructions is in view.

2. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.
    Matt 6:33

3. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree yet Calvinist claim man does not seek God. IMHO there would not be any Christians if this were true.
    MB

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    This of course begs the question, why does covenant theology claim for itself all of the covenants (Abrahamic, Mosaic, Davidic, New) given (mainly) to the Jews if all the elect (as defined by covenant theology) had the means of redemption from Adam onward?

5. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes

Another thing, suppose say that you can't see total depravity in the Bible, you are automatically labeled an Arminian as if it is one or the other. Even John MacArthur speaks of a what I think he calls a "general grace" but somehow that is not the same as Arminian "prevenient grace". I'm sure there is a deep theological distinction out there but how do you discuss it without being called names?

6. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

7. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    You keep adding them. Do you think you are God and your added words are inspired?

8. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is nothing about invitation in that verse.

9. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are misusing this verse, out of context. It is a part of Jesus sermon on the mount, given to the elect of Israel, the covenant people.

“Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
    ~ Matthew 6:25-34

10. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    If there is an elect of Israel then there should be an elect of non-Israel? The Jews are the covenant people, you got that part correct. By the way I mentioned that the Abrahamic,..... covenants were given to the (mainly) the Jews that leaves the part of the nations being blessed through Abrahams seed so perhaps I'm not as uninformed on the covenants as you would hope?

11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our flesh will put on immortality and be glorified!

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not all sinners know that they are now lost!

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lost sinners do not seek to come to Jesus to save them unaided by God!

14. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    The church is the elect of God, the Israel of the Abrahamic and New Covenant (Read Romans 9 for clarity). The nation of Israel today (what you call Jews) is no longer in covenant with God. When Jesus said "it is finished" he was saying the fulfillment and payment required of the law was complete. The covenant with the nation Israel was done. We see in Matthew 24 that God was about to wipe out the temple and dissolve the nation Israel in 70CE. The new version formed in 1948CE is not in covenant with God. It is the spirit of antichrist and in direct rebellion against God and God's people, the church. When you read the book of Revelation understand that the book is an encouragement to the church that Jesus is coming and he will avenge the blood of his children who have been slain by the godless who will tremble and hide in caves at his return.

It seems you have likely been raised in a dispensationalist church that is mostly ignorant of the covenants and God's covenant with the church, the people of the promise. You are seeming to struggle with the church being the covenantal people of God for whom all the future blessings are promised. I encourage you to study the covenants and the God who makes covenant with his chosen children.

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your view, if rational, would make God the author of sin, yet illogically you deny it.
    You deny the opportunity of salvation brought by the preaching of the gospel, so far from biblical truth to be its antithesis.
    Yet at every opportunity your group inflicts your bogus views upon this forum.

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In a nutshell,

Calvinism teaches humanity was saved or damned from all eternity for all eternity and there is nothing we can do to alter that outcome for ourselves or our loved ones.

This utter corruption of the good news cannot stand the light of day...

17. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.