1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

herd immunity is the smarter approach....and most compassionate

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Calminian, May 15, 2020.

1. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Oy, I mean smartest.

Nolte at Breitbart and his wife are in a high risk category and therefore will stay quarantined even after the country fully opens. Because of their health challenges, their only real hope is to wait for herd immunity. As he put it:

Because of my lovely wife’s health issues, this coronavirus scares me to death, and since I don’t believe we will ever see a cure, my only choice is to remain in quarantine until enough of the American population is infected to create herd immunity. So that’s my plan… To hold out until 60 to 70 percent of y’all are infected so my wife and I can safely resume our normal lives.

NOLTE: WHY CAN’T EVERYONE ELSE GO FREE WHILE YOU REMAIN IN QUARANTINE?
    JOHN NOLTE

I have to say, this makes a lot of sense. Maybe those of us with virtually zero risk should get back out there and mingle while the sick and elderly stay locked down. Considering how fast this virus spreads, herd immunity would be reached quickly and the virus killed. Then those at risk could come out of the shadows (to borrow an annoying phrase).

Sweden is almost there now, their only mistake perhaps not quarantining those at risk.

The plan is both smart and compassionate, as far as I can tell.

#1 Calminian, May 15, 2020
    Last edited: May 15, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well that's the accepted redneck way of doing things. But everybody criticizes rednecks, right?

3. Calminian

Site Supporter

Quarantining the sick is redneck? Even you're blushing at that fail. :Redface

That said, rednecks are right about some thing also.

#3 Calminian, May 15, 2020
    Last edited: May 15, 2020
  4. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Herd immunity is the redneck way......

5. Calminian

Site Supporter

Most rednecks are smarter than you....even after a few beers.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have not been keeping up with this stuff. Has it been determined that there will be a "herd immunity"? Last I saw (a couple of weeks ago) it was questionable if those infected with antibodies would actually be immune.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The weak will die and those that are strong will live. That is what happened during the Spanish Flu outbreak in 1918. There was no magic medicine that saved people, in the end the people saved themselves when their bodies developed an immunity to the virus. I n fact, I heard the other day that the Spanish Flu virus is still with us.

8. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Herd Immunity requires that about 70% of the population is infected before the spread of a disease is naturally halted. We are at 88,000 deaths with currently just 4.5% of the population having confirmed cases. That adds up to that if over 2/3rds of our population were infected that there would be probably at a minimum 1,368,000 deaths, a large % of this in nursing homes - which would then be unavoidable. That is the very reason we are following our top scientist and learning about social distancing to prevent unnecessary deaths. The suggestion that killing off the weak for some sort of a desperate remedy is somehow compassionate is bordering on insanity or extremely ignorant!

#8 Benjamin, May 16, 2020
    Last edited: May 16, 2020
  9. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is no coincidence to me that same people who are for herd immunity would not be for getting vaccinations and even fight against a mask. Frankly, I'm getting to the point that I would no problem with these mentalities IF the ones who who want to take these approaches were to be the ones to be ill and make up the death count, but it is our elderly that some degenerate people are willing to sacrifice rather than protect...

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Herd immunity hinges on the premise that Covid 19 does not mutate. It mutates, thus herd immunity is pie in the sky. Has the seasonal flu ever disappeared?

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am mixed on the entire vaccine issue. I believe vaccines should be taken for serious illnesses, but the number of vaccines we give our children today is absurd. I dont take the flu shiot because I see no evidence that it works.

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like natural selection. Why practice social distancing and wear masks to protect the weak because this is natures way of hikking them off?

13. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No, the seasonal flu has not disappeared and we do not shut down the economy of the entire world every year when the flu season hits. It's been over 20 years since I last had the flu.

14. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Governor Cuomo was very surprised to learn that the last uptick of people infected with the Covid 19 virus in NYS were the people who had stayed home and were not around others. The figure of those infected was like 83 percent.

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But obviously they were unknowingly exposed.

I did not mind pausing for 15 days. I am not for keeping things closed. But at the same time I am cautious about minimizing the virus (as I would be about any virus that could kill a population).

16. Wingman68

Wingman68 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’m sick to death of your condescending attitude, Benji. If you really believe this garbage about us cavaliers, why are you not also on here day & night railing against the dim governors who ordered nursing homes to accept those covid positive patients into their ranks, & kept abortion clinics OPEN while others suffered & died while waiting for their ‘elective’ surgeries.
    Meanwhile you have Senators chastising workers who want to save their own lives by WORKING, telling them too freakin bad they lost their lollipop, while she continues to get paid to kick them while they’re down. Your priorities are wrong, yet you want to stand on your perceived high ground. Disgusting.

Sorry, didn’t hit the reply to Benjamin’s last post, probably because I was choking on my coffee.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, it's the way God set it up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So sorry to hear of your illness, Wingman.
    Perhaps if you stick around a bit longer you’ll develop herd immunity.

Rob

• Like Like x 2
  19. Wingman68

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Heh. No funny button. Herd immunity or reoccurring PTSD whichever comes first. I don’t care to be chastised if it’s all the same to you. If I were to take the wonderful middle of the road stance, guess I wouldn’t be subject to the abuse you think I should swallow. Ain’t happening.

20. Wingman68

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here we go.....Benjamin wishes for those who disagree with his surrender approach to die. That would include me. I find this language to be unacceptable. He owes us an apology. End of story.

• Like Like x 1