1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

herd immunity is the smarter approach....and most compassionate

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Calminian, May 15, 2020.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've seen this before. Just didn't expect to see it here. Wishing illness or even death on those who disagree with you is a little beyond the pale. If you are fearful, hide. Don't expect others to share your fear. It is, by and large, the "elderly" who disagree with your fearful approach the most.

One thing some of us haven't forgotten...God is in control and worry is a sin.

Wishing illness and/or death on others...well, let's just say you've gone too far and that comment doesn't belong anywhere, let alone here. If the thought even enters your head, you have a real problem.

#21 carpro, May 16, 2020
    Last edited: May 16, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, and everyone knows that unconfirmed cases don't count. :rolleyes:

And 88,000 dying with covid not from covid. More money for covid deaths. Fraudulent number.

3. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Both of you need to learn to read complete sentences so that people don't think you are merely lying when you leave out your opponent's premises as you attempt to address his arguments. I re-posted my argument for others to see that merely presents a true moral dilemma which you are crying about. I give zero apologies for dealing with the growing concern about the conspiracy theory fake news BS that is seemingly becoming a bigger problem than the COVID-19. I'm telling you brave heroes that you'd have my blessing if you could only be the ones to step up to front of the line to enact your noble battle plans against the virus rather than hide behind the bodies of our old and sick that you apparently not only wouldn't lift a finger to protect, but fight against every action to do so whether it be social distancing, vaccinations or even wearing masks. It is disgusting!

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is the very problem with relying on a herd immunity; the sacrifice of the weak, the old and the vulnerable.

Rob

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We read fine. One thing we didn't have to read was your mind. You made it plain that you wouldn't mind seeing those that disagree with you get sick and possibly die.

Represhensible, to say the least.

Perhaps one of the most un Christian posts I have ever seen on this board.

No apology is expected. Anyone that is far enough gone to express such an evil sentiment is not likely to regret it.

#25 carpro, May 16, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    FYI I have not, and would not, recommend we rely only on herd immunity. But it is part of the solution and cannot be ignored. It always has been. It's the one God gave us that is always there and always has been.

I'm praying for a vaccine, sooner rather than later. That , in no way excuses such a sentiment as expressed by Benjamin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hyperbole Carpo, hyperbole

8. Wingman68

Wingman68 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Carpro & I are both 71. Is that old enough to be compassionate to the poor elderly? This argument is a strawman. The 77yr old Barber in Michigan? Is he just selfish? Or is he stupid? I say neither. I say he is fighting for his life. His rights. I feel sorry for the old people that Benjamin speaks of. They must feel the ‘pity’ that he displays for them. They don’t want pity. It’s insulting. There was no pity shown by those in charge who sent covid positives into their home. The trans health guy/girl in Pennsylvania who made that call to send them to nursing homes........took his/her 95 yr old mother out first. Wonder why?!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Wingman68

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whatever you say, eh?

10. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And they don't know if it will work anyway.

11. Wingman68

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It has always worked. It’s a law of nature. Every year approximately the same number of people die from influenza, even with the touted flu shots. Some years worse than others. Nothing got shut down then. Whatever vaccine they come up with will not be the answer to this either. It’s just the latest iteration thrown to the masses while they try to keep us under their control.

12. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you’ve made a case against herd immunity.

Rob

13. Wingman68

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah. You’re being obtuse. The left sent covid positive into the midst of people most vulnerable, who can not just leave. Captive. Like fish in a barrel. I don’t expect herd immunity to occur when you are shooting fish in a barrel.

14. Calminian

Site Supporter

...says the 6% guy.

15. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Okay the 15 days are over, now believe the science on this.

1. Children are the least likely to get this, so it's time to open up the schools.

2. Most young and healthy people are not going to get this, so it's time to stop the lockdown madness and get people back to work.

3. The hot weather is coming and the virus cannot survive the heat, so it's time to let people go out and about.

4. Continue to protect the elderly. That is what Gov. DeSantis did here in Florida and the death rate among them is a fraction of what it is in New York.

5. Quarantine those with underlying heath issues, not the general population who have less of a chance to die if they do get it. We need a "anti-body" positive population to defeat this virus in the long haul. That is what defeated the "Spanish Flu" in 1918 as there was no vaccine available.

I have no problem with wearing masks and doing the "Social Distancing" dance, nor do I have a problem with frequent handwashing and using sanitizer, but those in charge have gone bonkers on this and are not following the science anymore but have gone big time political with it.

#35 Adonia, May 16, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know. There are conflicting reports.

I am for opening back up with caution (we are open where I live).

17. Calminian

Site Supporter

My only quarrel is wearing masks outside. That should be outlawed.

18. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Halloween will never be the same.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

19. Calminian

Site Supporter

I'll make an exception then. In fact, I'm dressing as a Covid snitch this halloween.

20. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is known about the virus:
    1. Each infected individual infects two to three others (high transfer event occur in crowds, hence closed sports arenas, malls, churches, etc.), exponential transfer, (R0=2-3)

2. The infected individual can remain asymptomatic (without symptoms) for up to two weeks.

3. During those two weeks the infected individual is spreading the virus, those that he infects spread it to others and those that are infected spread it to still more... totaling more than 30 people in two weeks for each initially infected individual.

4. Immunity is not guaranteed upon those that have had the virus, the greater the symptoms and length of the initial infection, the more antibodies are produced. Additionally the virus appears to evolve/change quickly, making a vaccine difficult.

5. Children are least likely to die
    from the virus, less than 1% - meaning <1 kid in every three classrooms. Those older than 60 fall into the high risk for death category.

School children are great vectors for infection of parents; working parents - co-workers, etc. Daily interaction between school children insures most in each class will be infected if one child gets it.

Rob