1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How Christ Was "Made Sin"

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by KenH, Feb 19, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All I have done, in a post not addressed to you, is to say that when our Lord said, "It is finished," it was. From there you have manufactured a whole tissue of lies about me, even starting a new thread to disseminate them further, yet you absolutely refused to tell me what you understand by "It is finished."
    This isn't a question
    When the Lord Jesus cried "It is finished," He meant that all the work that the Father had given Him was completed. He had acted as Surety for His people, enduring the Father's wrath aginst sin on their behalf and paying the debt that they owed in full. I laid this out in post #8. All that remained for Him was to give up His spirit, which He did almost immediately. Had He not died, His work of redemption would have been incomplete because the wages of sin is death and without the shedding of blood (in death) there is no remission of sins.
    I think I have. If you don't know now after so many years of back and forth, you are remarkably dense.
    Our redemption is indeed Christ bearing our sins and the punishment and separation attached to them, on the cross, but that part was achieved before He uttered the words. But as the sin-bearer, it was also necessary for Him to die as I have stated above. The idea that He did not need to die never entered my head at any stage as you know perfectly well..

I am happy to accept your apology, but it is clear that we spark each other off when we discuss together. If I could put you on 'ignore' I would, but I think it best if we don't address each other. I will try to avoid threads that you are involved with but the issue of Penal Substitution is too important to leave so on such threads I will simply state my views without naming you. Perhaps you will do the same for me.

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So? I am remarkably dense. I'm just a poorly educated guy, lacking everything but a very basic understanding of the gospel.

I'm not a smart man, but I know what love is.

Now that that's covered, please dumb it down for fools like me.

I am not asking you IF Christ had to die. It is appointed all men to die, and Jesus is man.

I am asking what, in your opinion, Christ's physical death on the Cross accomplished towards our redemption.

3. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    @JonC,
    For goodness' sake! Just read my post.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did.

But in terns of our redemption you have not answered the question.

Christ cried out "it is finished!".
    Then He committed His Spirit into the hands of the Father (He died).

In terms of our redemption, what was accomplished AFTER Jesus cried "it is finished" by His death?

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six hour warning
    This thread will be closed no sooner than Sat 1100 GMT / 5 am EST / 2 am PST

6. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand that
    MB

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist