1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How did you select the Bible you use?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Thermodynamics, Feb 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Was preaching verse by verse in Ecclesiastes Sunday and expouding the Scripture with great liberty from the KJV. I took the time to show applications of each verse allowing different individuals the chance to stand and read a verse throughout the passage. It's truly remarkable seeing to Lord use his word in this fashion. THIS GIVES US A CHANCE TO REASON TOGETHER AND FIND WHAT GOD WANTS FOR EACH OF US ACCORDING TO HIS WILL

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

HG,

That works great with a multiplicity of modern versions being read from also, and the KJV translators would agree.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Welcome to the BB, Hislchild! (Is the "l" in there by mistake?)

Thanks for the interesting info you posted.

4. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

There isnt room on our pulpit podium for all that and was not expedient to spend so much time trying to read a multiplicity of versions and explaining the differences. With all our Bibles the same it cuts down on the confusion, and besides, as far as I know, none of the KJV translators were there that morning. We let the Lord do the work with what we already have. We did have some one reading from another version once and you shoulda heard those trying to follow along, "Where's he at?"

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Harold - It seems you have a quite uneducated and ignorant congregation if they cannot follow the Scriptures.

In our congregation, I've seen the KJV, NKJV, NASB, NIV, ESV, a Chinese Bible, a bunch of Spanish Bibles and I'm sure there are others. Even our Chinese students who are new to the church and many of whom are not believers do not get confused when reading along in their Bible.

Maybe a class on Bible translation would be helpful - unless you want to keep them hamstringed in Christian life??

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Leave it to HG to turn any thread into a "my KJV is betterthan your bible" arguement (an argument which he has yet to win).

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Shoulda told them to turn their hearing aids up.

:laugh:

8. Hislchild

Hislchild New Member

Thank you for your greetings.
    l in Hislchild means loving.

9. Elohaynu

Elohaynu New Member

So people who use the KJV are "hamstringed in their Christian life"?

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Nope - but people who do not understand translation issues and are KJVO are. It's important to understand the Scriptures and that it's OK to have a different translation than someone else. If someone can't follow the Scriptures that are numbered and notated, then how well educated in the Scriptures are they?

11. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Nah, we'd rather teach them the Bible instead of translation issues. We've had the blessed privilege to see many come from some very hard lives and see them saved and learning. We spend alot of time dealing with false doctrines and old wives' tales and fables. As far as their education levels go, how is it you make so rash a judgement from so great a distance? We're actually more a mission work making things as close to a church service as time and attendence permits. Versions issUes have no place here and we leave the hamstringing to the legalists who try to tell us what and how to do things.

12. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

it would be more they are following the word of God morethan paying attention to man's numbering system. When the words weren't coinciding with the number of the verse it wasn't a matter of which verse but the difference in words. I'll be sure to tell them how ignorant you think they are and then remind them how far the Lord has brought them and then let them decide who cares more about their walk and who the real hamstringer is,ok?

#112 Harold Garvey, Jan 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2010
  13. Elohaynu

Elohaynu New Member

I guess I'm uneducated, also. The old church that I went to was getting me nowhere. I was in a Sunday class, where everyone had a different version. Tell me that's not confusing.. Here I am reading from the verse they are reading from, but it's only confusing me, making me have to stop reading until they are done reading so I can read the verse with no interruption. On the other hand, at the new church I've been going to, everyone reads from the same bible, the KJV. Piece of cake following along when the pastor is reading the same bible as everyone else.

#113 Elohaynu, Jan 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2010
  14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Even our Chinese students, who are just learning the English language can follow along in another Bible. But then again, we're training them in the Word of God and teaching them how to study the Word.

15. Elohaynu

Elohaynu New Member

The truth is, all these versions do is create confusion. I'm pretty sure that God isn't the Author of confusion, right? Try telling someone that 200 different bibles are the same.

16. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

So the Devil supports Bible translation efforts?

"Confusion" is relative. Just because YOU are confused does not make various translations "of the devil" as you have so slyly insinuated here.

Enjoy your KJV. No one here has a problem with that. But PLEASE stop coming over here spouting the same old KJVO business that does nothing but, uh, CONFUSE people!

17. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Sounds more like they're learning English.

18. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Just the mere mention of the KJV gets your type all up in the air and then you start with all the accusations.

The OP asks for your favorite version and why. I have said which and why. You brought up KJVO and so did Ann.

Tell me how it is that one can be reading a passage out of anything and be expected to follow while looking at something with different words? Even if it is the Daily News does this also make it a KJVO debate?:tongue3:

Confusion is not relative when one considers the source of the confusion, it is then a matter of instigation.

19. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Yeah, then train them in the versions issues and then try to teach them the Bible!:tear:

20. Elohaynu

Elohaynu New Member

Why wouldn't he be? I'm not saying the new modern versions are outright satanic or anything. One can still be saved reading one. What I'm saying is that in 20 years, things that you say we're making a big deal of will be nothing compared to what they'll be changing then. I'm sure you're familiar with the Homosexual Bible and The Message. It's only going to get worse from here on out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.