How many of the Spirit Gifts still operating, and are they anyApostles/prophets today?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Yeshua1, Feb 11, 2020.

1. JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In short, no, Missionaries/apostles are not evangelists. They "Do the work of an evangelist" but they are distinct giftings.

And side note, those "circuit evangelists" that are in most American Church circles are not evangelists, they are prophets--calling God's people to a greater obedience to the New Covenant.

2. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They might have a "prophetic" take on scriptures being applied today, but none can foretell the future as OT prophets could and did!

3. JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, consider this. If a Missionary/Apostle goes to a new area preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ, the Bible says that his message can be "confirmed" with signs and wonders. I wouldn't put God in a box, nor would i want to dismiss the plain teachings of Scripture.

4. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    good, as that means that we agree that there are none in the sense that many say Word of faith see themselves as being!

5. JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus Christ is coming soon! Is that not prophetic? Agabus proclaiming a famine, that is prophetic. Once again, i wouldn't want to put God in a box my friend and dismiss the clear revelation that Scripture has set forth.

6. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not in a box, but would not want to be any modern day prophet if the church applied same 100 % right standard as under the OT!

7. JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Remember what Moses said when Joshua wanted to tell the men to stop prophesying after the Spirit of God fell on them? Moses said, "I would that all of God's people would be prophets."

Numbers 11:29

8. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even King saul could do that! Big difference between gift to prophesy, and to be in role and office of a prophet!

9. JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree :)
    And Ephesians 4:11 doesn't call the prophet an office, but a gift to the Church. Just wanted to clarify--as office is given to Elder/Overseer.

10. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see prophets though as being the office of such, same way Apostle would be to that office!

11. JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does the Bible teach? Ephesians 4:10-11 says they are gifts. 1 Cor. 12 says they are gifts. Literally, they are "Gifts of People" to the church.

12. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Apostles and prophets that laid in our spiritual teach foundations were the OT prophets and the NT Apostles....

13. JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Incorrect...What do the Scriptures teach?

Ephesians 3
    4 In reading this, then, you will be able to understand my insight into the mystery of Christ;

5 which was not made known to people in other generations as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to God’s holy apostles and prophets.

14. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, to the Apostles of Christ, and to the OT Prophets, as peter described them having seen Jesus coming, but not in full!

15. Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Define the difference using Scriptural support.

16. JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NT Prophets, it clearly says NT prophets.

Bro, do not let your preconceived ideas deter you from seeing what the Scriptures clearly teach.

17. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not, as we do not need any prophets and Apostles anymore today, not operating in same sense/way as in the Bible!

18. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Barnabus was small a, Paul big A, as Paul was inspired to write romans, and barnabus was not!

19. Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul claims to be the last apostle (1 Corinthians 15:7-9).

7Then He appeared to James, then to all the apostles. 8And last of all He appeared to me also, as to one of untimely birth. 9For I am the least of the apostles and am unworthy to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.

Apostles are not missionaries, what of most of the Twelve? They stayed in Jewish lands to administer the Jewish church. Apostles are the representatives of Jesus Christ (given the Greek meaning) and the founders of His church (Ephesians 2:20). Paul is the apostle to the Gentiles sent out to not just spread the Good News like Barnabas and others but found the Gentile church (Romans 15:6, Acts 9:5, Galatians 1-2).

Thus, all of that laid out, Paul is the apostle to the Gentiles, there is no other.

That missionaries are apostles is a modern construct. Missionaries are Evangelists of the Gospel, whether they go to new lands and plant churches or spread the Gospel to those in which churches are among them. This complexity just means Evangelist is a true multi-faceted office in the church like pastor/teacher.

Doesn't your teaching open up many problems? Apostles are first in the church we are told in 1 Corinthians 12:28.

And God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, various kinds of tongues.

Why are missionaries and domestic church planters not more authoritative than local pastors in the global church? Why doesn't the bible expressly indicate that apostles are missionaries? Because it doesn't at any point I know of.

20. Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My friend, please read my post #99 in this thread. I believe you are making stuff up that the bible does not expressly indicate. Remember the consequences of adding to scripture.