1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How Should Arminians and Calvinists Approach One Another?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Steven Yeadon, Sep 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are Calvinists and Arminians in the general belief that the other position is false teaching, maybe even a doctrine of demons? If we think each other are so dangerous to others, especially unbelievers, are we doing the right thing by having the goal of cordial and polite discussion where we agree to agree to disagree?

I noticed a lot of heat in discussions in this forum. At first I thought it wrong, but dwelling on scripture. It seems we have very differing views of God and His nature. What would Paul say if teachers showed up with a teaching that radically misunderstood God? I can't imagine anything good.

So, my question is how do we approach one another in your view, while being true to our convictions?

#1 Steven Yeadon, Sep 15, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  2. Sai

Sai Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    With malice and spite.

Joy unspeakable full of glory

• Like Like x 1
  3. Barry Johnson

Barry Johnson Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Approach them suspicion and caution lol No I meant with the scriptures lol . Seriously though, some on here may think I hate Calvinists. I do not ,and I think that's the point . I think we need to be able to communicate in love because we're concerned over what harm comes from error . I do not do this well . I am hoping to do better in this area .

4. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Their are nutt cases on both sides, but for the most part C and A get along just fine.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    would say from my point of view as a Calvinist, the Lord saved all lost sinners as we see salvation process, but do not say non cals are lost nor evil, just misunderstand!

6. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But not closer than 6 feet ... this is the 2020 Pandemic after all.
    I suggest long pointy sticks to safely POKE the heretics (without spreading germs). ;)

We live in strange times. :confused: :Barefoot :Cool

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I generally consider synergism to be 'entry level' for most Christians, for most of us begin as free willers. It's our 'default predisposition'. One does not have to 'advance' doctrinally to monergism in order to love the Lord and live to please Him. I've known many free willers that are perfectly happy where they're at and reaping the bennies of the kingdom.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Sai

Sai Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    More fuller of hatin the better

Joy unspeakable full of glory

9. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Steven,

I've struggled with this subject for many years...
    and for many years now, my best and only solution to retain both my sanity and to be at peace with all men...
    was and is to keep my distance;

As far away as possible.

Except for this forum, I don't interact very much at all with those who believe differently than I do.
    In fact, I stopped "going to church" completely, and have pretty much remained isolated from most who profess Christ in my area.
    I figure that if they view my God as a monster, then they are going to view me as one, too.

So, I solved the problem for them...
    I left, quietly.

Guess what?

No one came looking for me, so my suspicions were confirmed and the experiment worked.
    I found out what I needed to know, without ever having to stand up in a church and tell people what I believe about the Bible, or do anything to offend anyone around me.
    In fact, I've recognized that I need look no further than this forum ( which is for Baptists amazingly enough ), to see what I'd experience out in the real world;

Without ever having to leave my seat and the comfort of my home I already know how I would be received in a local church...
    Especially a Baptist one.
    All I would have to do is to quote one verse, and I'd be ex-communicated.;)

May God bless you richly, Steven.
    Remember His love for you, especially in your trials and tribulations in the coming days and years...
    It's easy to forget when it seems like He doesn't, but His word says that He does.

#9 Dave G, Sep 16, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  10. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sir,

Thank you for such a thoughtful and kind reply. I am left speechless at your situation. Thank you for your encouragement.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dave, please forgive me for saying this but I don’t believe you have found the right church to worship in because if you had then you would be happy and joyful in your communion with them. I have also stopped going for a long time but have since found one that has a very similar belief system. See Dave, I will be having a grand baby soon and I’m delirious of having him accompany me to worship …. My wife also.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Humble Disciple

Humble Disciple Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reformed Baptists have existed for hundreds of years, and there have been Reformed Baptists in the SBC from the very beginning. There wouldn't be the BFM without the New Hampshire Confession, and there wouldn't be the New Hampshire Confession without the 1689 London Baptist Confession.

Nowhere does the Bible say that the universe is less than 10,000 years old. Christian geologists discovered the earth's antiquity before Charles Darwin was even born, and one need not accept evolution to see the clear evidence in nature of an old universe.

But I am not going to reject you from a church because of your belief in young earth creationism, just as you shouldn't reject me or Albert Mohler, John Piper, Mark Dever, etc. just because of Calvinism.

I think we need to go back to the Reformation understanding of the church, "In essentials, unity. In non-essentials, liberty. In all things, charity." As R. C. Sproul said, the problem with Arminians is not that they are unsaved, but only that they are inconsistent:

Having a weak theology isn't reason enough to forbid fellowship with Arminians. Arminians are not heretics for being Arminian. If anything, there might be more intolerance toward Calvinists today than the other way around.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You also have to keep in mind that this is a forum and the C and A subforum is for the most part purely a debate forum. People go to it to debate and very few take it personally. The ones that do take it personal don't hang around long, with an exception or two.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems that the SBC is evenly split between Calvinists and Arminians:
    Poll: SBC pastors have 'mix of beliefs' about Calvinism - Baptist Courier

[​IMG]

It would be really silly, in my opinion, if there were a split in the SBC over Calvinism and Arminianism, especially since Baptist churches are congregational in polity, and therefore each invidiual SBC church should decide the matter for themselves, while maintaining unity with the denomination.

15. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some of the greatest missionaries, evangelists, and humanitarians in history have been Arminians, and some of the greatest missionaries, evangelists, and humanitarians in history have been Calvinists. Why can't we all just get along?

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most can (and do).

17. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most do. There are cage state Calvinists that love to stir the pot, and equally immature non-Calvinists who like to fight with them, but that's the exception and not the norm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So in the end, this is again about disunity in the SBC. Some things never ever change.

19. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a message that both Calvinists and Arminians should remember:

1 Corinthians 8:2-3
    Anyone who claims to know all the answers doesn’t really know very much. But the person who loves God is the one whom God recognizes.

20. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The SBC is too big to have unity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.