Human State at birth?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 12strings, Feb 29, 2012.

1. DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Remember the context--the context of your post:
    I take all Scripture literally.

Secondly, the context of verse three is infants, not wicked men. Are infants wicked men? No. You were just as wicked when you were born, as the virgin Mary was, and as these infants here referred to were. When we are born, we are all on the same playing field--equal. There is no partiality with God.
    I am not speaking of wicked men whatsoever. You are. I am referring to "they are estranged from the womb as soon as they be born speaking lies."
    Who is? Infants are? Whose infants? All infants. It doesn't matter what family you come from? Do you really believe that you were born a Christian into this world and never had to be born again?
    Point taken. I never said "in the womb." But the expression "as soon as they be born" gives a sense of immediacy, as in right after birth.
    That is what you would like the verse to say, but it doesn't. As soon as they be born they go astray speaking lies. Why? They have a sin nature. Why do they speak lies and not the truth? Because they are sinners. Sinners sin. Thieves steal. Adulterers commit adultery. Liars lie, and sinners sin. They sin because they are born sinners. They are born with a sin nature.
    And so....another red herring?
    They are still born with a sin nature, whether in a "Christian family" or pagan family.
    And so...
    You are ignoring context. Commentary after commentary say virtually the same thing. I would use John Gill. You ought to read his remarks on Gen.8:21. They refer right back to Psalm 58:3. But instead I will quote Matthew Poole:
    The context refers to the sin nature of the "youth" being inherited from one generation and passed on to the next, and then the next, etc. Thus the reason for the Flood. It would never correct itself. It could not be corrected because of the inherited sinfulness of mankind. Your verse is a proof for the depravity of mankind.
    Passed on from one generation to the other, not being able to be corrected, getting worse and worse, and the only way to stop it was by a Flood or total destruction. It is a good argument for the depravity of man.
    That is not in question here. I challenged you in your former post:
    Will you take literally this verse: Psalm 58:3?
    You said I take all the Bible literally. And you also said yes to this verse. Now you are backing down and saying that you can't take it literally.
    No, that is not necessarily the case. However that is your problem not mine, since you said you would take it literally, not me. Check your former post.
    The verse speaks a truth. The truth is the inherent sin nature of mankind. It starts with infancy. They are evil as soon as they are born.
    These scriptures are not talking of infants, but rather poetic justice of the wicked. That is different isn't it? In the OT the writer often didn't differentiate between the offspring of the wicked and the wicked themselves no matter what the age. But in this day and age we have more light, more revelation. We become more responsible for the light we are given. We are able to make more informed decisions with a completed canon.
    Winman I will state my case here. You were as wicked as these ones that David described when you were born. When describing infants here, he is describing us all, no one excepted. There is a difference between the description of infants (whether they be born to righteous or unrighteous), and the description of the unrighteous. That is what you fail to differentiate.
    Yes, I do. You don't know the difference between an adult and an infant.
    Verses that apply to all infants are not exaggerated. We all are depraved from birth onward. It is not a difficult concept, and is clearly taught in Scripture.