1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured I challenge any evangelical to prove to me that Christians can be responsible for folks burning in h

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by kyredneck, Apr 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Of course it is, which is why you and the other critics cannot begin to show any other valid teaching to offer correction.

2. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jerome,
    And every time you give a partial quote, you never give the start of the sermon where He makes it abundantly clear the Salvation is all of the Lord.

3. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure we can and have.
    I do not see Calvinism as proper interpretation of Scripture. You do not See Arminianism as a proper interpretation of Scripture. The debatehas gone on for hundreds of years before us. It will not be solved with us. If either side could prove their position, the debate would have ended hundreds of years ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Reformed

This is a specialty of the non cals on here.

Paul Washer has seen what many others have seen over the years.

Well said.

5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No one on here has come close to refuting anything. Names are called, false witness given, but no biblical refutation.
    There is no real debate. There is truth and those who do not hold the truth yet.

If you feel you have refuted anything substantial can you direct us to such a post?

6. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If thats how you see it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well Reynolds...how I see it does not matter...what does scripture say is what matters. Again, can you direct us to these scriptural refutations?
    Where are they found?
    Why not show the best scriptural refutations that you, RM, MB, ITL, and any others have offered.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have I really attempted to refute Calvinism? You read verses and come up with different meanings than I do. John 3:16 refutes Calvinism, you alter the plain meaning of the verse to fit your theology. As I said, the debate has raged for hundreds of years. If the scripture existed to prove either position without a doubt, there would be no debate.
    What I continually argue is that the New Calvinists seemingly value Calvin over the commands of Christ. You are on a mission to spread Calvinism. Your evangelism takes a huge back seat to your love of Calvinism. You see the world and you see every topic through the lens of Calvin. The thread about Adrian Rogers is prime evidence of that

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have heard you and others offer such critiques. This is an unfounded fabrication. If you think there is error, show it.
    Speaking of "spreading Calvinism "as opposed to christian doctrine betrays a lack of knowledge of what is implied and understood by the term.
    Biblical Calvinism is the work of the truine God in bringing the whole man to the Whole Christ.

10. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have discussed John 3:16 at length.
    I know what is implied and understood by Calvinism. From your behavior on here, it seems you much prefer to attempt to advance Calvinism than to present the Gospel to the lost.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "Reynolds,

There have been times when you offered your position with some biblical support, and you did a good job with what you offered.
    In my opinion, it was at best a good start, but not really sustained.
    Let me give an example of what I am saying.
    Biblicist posted here for years and offered a ton of scripture.
    Can you show anywhere where you answered him , line by line? Can you show where any of the others took him on and sustained a biblical interaction? I do not recall any such posts. He shredded JonC....

Not even close to refuting Calvinism at all. Do you deny it says "everyone believing"?
    Now if you think I am missing how it refutes Calvinism, show it scripturally, lets take a look.

Show anywhere that you think I have done this?

That is your position which I do not share.

This is a complete fabrication.

12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is a weak excuse on your part. What do you think Jn3:16 teaches.
    You cannot judge my behavior on here as my comments are often edited and deleted.
    In fact I can assure you I speak to more people on a daily basis about the gospel, just by the nature of my job than you do.
    When you make such a weak comment it proves what I say on a regular basis on here.
    The fact that so many on here offer shallow attacks against Calvinistic truths

Makes Calvinists react to set the record straight. Of course it is going to come across a certain way.

13. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 3:16 F"God so loved the World...."
    Not part of the world. Not an elect few. Not some from all parts of the world. "The World."

What I believe:
    The Five Arminian Articles (1610)
    Date: 1610
    Author: Jan Uytenbogaert et. al.
    John Calvin, 10 July 1509 – 27 May 1564.
    The Five articles of Remonstrance refers to the document drawn up in 1610 by the followers of Jacobus
    Arminius (1560-1609). A "remonstrance" is literally "an expression of opposition or protest," which in
    this case was a protest against the Calvinist doctrine of predestination contained in the Belgic Confession.
    Consequently, those followers of Arminius who drafted this protest were given the name "Remonstrants."
    This document was condemned as heresy by the reformed churches at the Synod of Dort, 1618-1619.
    http://www.theopedia.com/five-articles-of-remonstrance
    The Belgic Confession, written in 1561, owes its origin to the need for a clear and comprehensive statement of
    Reformed faith during the time of the Spanish inquisition in the Lowlands. Guido de Brès, its primary author, was
    pleading for understanding and toleration from King Philip II of Spain who was determined to root out all
    Protestant factions in his jurisdiction. Hence, this confession takes pains to point out the continuity of Reformed
    belief with that of the ancient Christian creeds, as well as to differentiate it from Catholic belief (on the one hand),
    and from Anabaptist teachings (on the other).
    Belgic Confession
    http://www.esvbible.org/resources/c...article-the-five-arminian-articles-1610/#1121
    After the death of Jacobus Arminius in 1610, a number of his followers published their objections to The
    Belgic Confession and the teaching of John Calvin and his followers regarding the doctrine of
    predestination. In The Five Arminian Articles, also known as the Five Articles of Remonstrance, they
    affirmed a conditional election upon the basis of foreseen faith, along with a universal atonement, the
    possibility of resisting grace, and the possibility of lapsing from grace. Their teaching was condemned at
    the Synod of Dort in 1618-1619.
    Article 1
    That God, by an eternal, unchangeable purpose in Jesus Christ his Son, before the foundation of the world,
    hath determined, out of the fallen, sinful race of men, to save in Christ, for Christ’s sake, and through
    Christ, those who, through the grace of the Holy Ghost, shall believe on this his Son Jesus, and shall
    persevering this faith and obedience of faith, through this grace, even to the end; and, on the other hand,
    to leave the incorrigible and unbelieving in sin and under wrath, and to condemn them as alienate from
    Christ, according to the word of the gospel in John 3:36: “He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting
    life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but wrath of God abideth on him,” and according
    to other passages of Scripture also.
    Article 2
    That, agreeably thereto, Jesus Christ, the Saviour of the world, died for all men and for every man, so that
    he has obtained for them all, by his death on the cross, redemption and the forgiveness of sins; yet that no
    one actually enjoys this forgiveness of sins except the believer according to the word of the Gospel of
    John 3:16: “God so love the world that he gave his only-begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him
    should not perish, but have everlasting life.” And in the First Epistle of John 2:2: “And he is the
    propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.”
    Article 3
    That man has not saving grace himself, nor of the energy of his free will, inasmuch as he, in the state of
    apostasy and sin, can of and by himself, neither thing, will, nor do any thing that is truly good (such as
    saving Faith eminently is); but that it is needful that he be born again of God in Christ through his Holy
    Spirit, and renewed in understanding, inclination, or will, and all his powers, in order that he may rightly
    understand, think, will, and effect what is truly good, according to the Word of Christ, John 15:5: “Without
    me ye can do nothing.”
    Article 4
    That this grace of God is the beginning, continuance, and accomplishment of all good, even to this extent,
    that the regenerate man himself, without prevenient or assisting, awaking, following and co-operative
    grace, can neither think, will, nor do good, nor withstand any temptations to evil; so that all good deeds
    or movements, that can be conceived, must be ascribed to the grace of God in Christ. But as respects the
    mode of the operation of this grace it is not irresistible, inasmuch as it is written concerning many, that
    they have resisted the Holy Ghost (Acts 7:51), and elsewhere in many places.
    Article 5
    That those who are incorporated into Christ by a true faith, and have thereby become partakers of his life-
    giving Spirit, have thereby full power to strive against Satan, sin, the world, and their own flesh, and to
    win the victory; it being well understood that it is ever through the assisting grace of the Holy Ghost; and
    that Jesus Christ assists them through his Spirit in all temptations, extends to them his hand, and if only
    they are ready for the conflict, and desire his help, and are not inactive, keeps them from falling, so that
    they, by no craft or power of Satan, can be misled nor plucked out of Christ’s hands, according to the
    Word of Christ, John 10:28: “Neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.” But whether they are
    capable, through negligence, of forsaking again the first beginnings of their life in Christ (Heb 3:6, 14; 2
    Pet 1:10; Jude 3; 1 Tim 1:19; Heb 11:13), of again returning to this present evil world, of turning away
    from the holy doctrine which was delivered to them, of losing a good conscience, of becoming void of
    grace, that must be more particularly determined out of the Holy Scripture, before we ourselves can teach
    it with full persuasion of our minds.
    These Articles, thus set forth and taught, the Remonstrants deem agreeable to the Word of God, tending
    to edification, and, as regards this argument, sufficient for salvation, so that it is not necessary of edifying
    to rise higher or to descend deeper.

Philip Schaff and David S. Schaff, eds. The Creeds of Christendom (1931; repr., Grand Rapids: Baker,
    1996), 3:545–49. This translation is in the public domain. This document constitute part of the background
    to which the Synod of Dort responded.

14. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Reynolds....
    Thank you for offering support for your view. Time does not allow it now as I must go back to work, but I will work through it, seeing where we can agree, and offering on those portions that I believe would need to be re-examined. Fair enough?

15. timtofly

timtofly Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can any one show in Scripture a problem with this statement?

The Holy Spirit seals every human from conception to death.

Ephesians 4:30 makes that claim.
    "And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption."

16. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once one has received Jesus as Lord is the starting point!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. timtofly

timtofly Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No verse? The day of redemption is salvation. We are no longer sealed after salvation?

18. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fair enough

19. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sealed by Holy Spirit right when we are saved

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    True. This is where iron sharpens iron. We sit down together and we work through God's word together.
    We wrestle with the passages and seek the context rather than prooftexting to fit our agenda.
    On this I hope we both agree.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.