1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured I challenge any evangelical to prove to me that Christians can be responsible for folks burning in h

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by kyredneck, Apr 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know any one that holds to the premise that Christians are responsible for people going to hell, and I certainly don't know of anyone that blames Reformed or Calvinists for not praying for the lost as the reason people go to hell.

I object to Calvinism because it is a flawed theology. I certainly don't object to Calvinism because its adherents don't pray for the lost. (Talk about a strawman.) I'm certain that Calvinists DO pray for the lost. Many of them have spoken up and affirmed this, in this thread and in others.

My "silly list" is a compilation of the illogical, nonsensical arguments put forth by Calvinists to defend their beliefs. It's a generic list and could be applied to just about any theological argument, except perhaps for #5. There is nothing Calvinistic about using a strawman argument, it's just that you guys do it so frequently, it's become a cliche.

In fact, I could be a Calvinist, love Reformed theology and still have my list, because it is a list of faulty arguments. It just happens that Calvinists use these faulty arguments much more frequently than classical Arminians, Lutherans, Catholic, just about any one.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a diversion to avoid the obvious and therefore not be caught.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another diversion. You simply claim "strawman" everytime you are caught.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    The God of the Bible is the God of the Reformed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At some point one has to understand that they are just arguing to be right rather than to disseminate truth.

#85 Revmitchell, Apr 24, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The more I think about it, you remind me of the athieits I used to have discussions with when I was in college. They were not trying to convince me. They were trying to convince themselves.

If this topic strikes as deep a nerve with you as it appears it does, well......

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Arrogance on display.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is why I don't debate the tenets of the reformed vs. non-reformed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I cannot accuse you of ignorance because your comments are made with the full knowledge you are misrepresenting the man. You are taking a comment by Paul Washer that is part of a larger context. I stand by everything I have said about him (Washer) and the sinners prayer. I too can play the YouTube video clip, but then I am playing your game which I refuse to do. I do not know if I need to say that the sinners prayer has sent more people to hell than anything on the face of the earth. In the end, unbelief is what sends people to hell. That said, the rote sinners prayer is a deceitful exercise for the reasons I gave in my previous post. I will never tell another living soul that praying a prayer will save them. I will them that they need to repent of their sins and place their faith in Christ and Christ alone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sigh, it doesnt change what he said. There is no context in which it changes the meaning of his words. I full well know the context and as someone who holds to that doctrine it is inconsistent with his doctrine on the Sovereignty of God. Either God left them in their sin and did not elect them or the prayer sent them to hell. It cannot be both.

Washer is in a war against something that has no effect on mans salvation or the definition of Gods sovereignty as touted by Washer is not correct.

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is a debate for fools. Sometimes I do it :(.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    example of how Charles Spurgeon ended a sermon:

"A Free Grace Promise" (1888)

"breathe an earnest prayer to God, saying, 'God be merciful to me a sinner. Lord, I need to be saved. Save me. I call upon thy name.' Join with me in prayer at this moment, I entreat you. Join with me while I put words into your mouths, and speak them on your behalf—'Lord, I am guilty. I deserve thy wrath. Lord I cannot save myself. Lord, I would have a new heart and a right spirit, but what can I do? Lord, I can do nothing, come and work in me to will and to do of thy good pleasure....But I now do from my very soul call upon thy name. Trembling, yet believing, I cast myself wholly upon thee, O Lord. I trust the blood and righteousness of thy dear Son; I trust thy mercy, and thy love, and thy power, as they are revealed in him. I dare to lay hold upon this word of thine, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved. Lord, save me tonight, for Jesus' sake. Amen.'"

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not arrogance, Truth. Reformed theology is biblical theology. Neither you nor Scarlett have to believe it, but you would be wrong to say it isn't derived wholely from Scripture.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    You implied that Reformed faith is not in the God of the Bible. Such an implication is incorrect.

15. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Such wimpy comments are offered by those who cannot deal honestly with a godly preacher speaking truth to a deceived multitude.
    Anyone who has listened to any of his messages knows he explains in unmistakable detail, the problem with the man-centered , fleshly nonsense that passes for a profession.

16. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    These comments are the default comments of those who lack any biblical response.

17. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    They will not take you up on it as they cannot. Rather than question and learn they make snide remarks that they cannot support.
    Kyred raises a question and they call him names,

18. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    InTheLight,

It has been posted and implied on here quite often.

You make such a statement and yet cannot support your claim.
    Start a thread and show us what you have found as flaws,

I

19. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doesnt mean its derived from proper interpretation of scripture.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    For you to suggest an inconsistency is to intentionally misrepresent the doctrine. Paul Washer was not the first person to highlight these defective methodologies. There were people all over these errors before Paul Washer was known.
    You and the other frequent critics never get close to the heart of the doctrine. You to this day do not know what the issue is,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.