1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured I reconsidered my doctrine

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Guido, Nov 4, 2022.

1. Guido

Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    For a while now, I believed that faith that we have eternal life because we believe in Christ was sufficient to save us, but now I've gone back to the view that certain doctrines are essential for belief to salvation, such as the fact that Jesus is Jehovah, his death for our sins, and his being raised to life again; because I can't understand how one can be saved by faith in Jesus, if they believe that Jesus is a frog, or if they do not believe in the biblical Christ.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, you are realizing that we are often encouraged to have is “faith in faith”… that is that “faith” saves us.

The biblical truth is that the object of our “faith”, that is Jesus Christ and Him crucified, is the PERSON that saves us.

Peace to you

• Winner Winner x 3
  3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is good to constantly reconsider our doctrine.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is good for us to be continually wrestling with Scripture and humbly rest our lives in what God is saying. Let it cut like a scalpel to remove the Godless humanism that oozes within this corrupt body of sin.
    *Hebrews 4:9-13*
    So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God, for whoever has entered God’s rest has also rested from his works as God did from his. Let us therefore strive to enter that rest, so that no one may fall by the same sort of disobedience. For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I became a believer I simply trusted that Jesus was able deliver me from the consequences of my indwelling sin.
    I knew very little about theology but I believed that knowing Jesus was the answer to my desperate need.
    I’m sure I must have heard some basic doctrine along the way but it was not essential to my trust in him.

That being said, as a new Christian begins to grow I believe the Spirit leads us into the truth.

“When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things.
    For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully, just as I also have been fully known.”
    1 Corinthians 13:11,12
    Rob

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If we deny what Guido listed, we have a “Jesus” of our imagination, not the Lord Jesus Christ of Scripture. False Christs can’t save. If they could, Mormons would be Christians.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    6 Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. Mt 5

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jorge Shailer Baker

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello Guido.
    Our Lord command for all his disciples was to do disciples who really knew who he is and his real message:
    "18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
    19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
    20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen." Mat. 28:18-20.

Yes, we start with a simple faith in Jesus as Lord and Saviour, but then, the church, our brothers and sisters, pastors, ministers must help us, they have to teach us "all things"...commanded by the Lord, like a baby, we are born from the water and the Spirit, but our spiritual family must feed us, take care of us so we can grow up to become a well rounded disciple.

J.S.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was born of water when I came forth from my Mother. That didn’t save me. I had to be born again by the Word of God and the Spirit of God.

The flesh is born of the water, natural, sinful. You must be born again to see the Kingdom of God.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Guido

Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know that Jesus Christ the person is the Savior of sinful people, the reason I was concerned with the issue at hand.

#11 Guido, Nov 8, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2022
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The work of the holy Spirit of God to illuminate our thinking is a great mystery and even greater blessing!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I reconsider my doctrine, I do not subtract anything from it only add to it and studying what other say about it never diminish it only improves what I already know... Brother Glen:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Guido

Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Partially filled or completely filled?

15. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, if “partially filled” that really doesn’t mean “filled” does it?

What add “partially” to the text?

peace to you

16. Guido

Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When are they filled?

17. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good question. Does the text specifically say?

If you hunger and thirst for good/water, the expectation is that the promise would be fulfilled immediately.

Why wouldn’t the promise to those that hunger/thirst for righteousness not be fulfilled immediately?

Peace to you

18. Guido

Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because being filled with righteousness implies that you are not sinning. So if someone uses this passage as one on how to get saved, in the Lordship view sense, they are agreeing with sinless perfection.

19. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I never considered it that way. I’m not sure that is the logical conclusion, but I’ll think about it some more.

Off hand, however, my thought is that being “filled” with righteousness has to do with the righteousness of Christ imputed to us.

peace to you

20. Guido

Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure if hungering and thirsting after righteousness is required for obtaining salvation. Hopefully, a free grace believer can help my understanding.