1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

IFB, BBF, GARBC, ABA, BMA

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Speedpass, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know that all these groups espouse Landmarkism, but do they have anything else in common with each other? The ABA and BMA churches I have visited don't seem to preach "separation" as do the IBF-ers.

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You DON'T KNOW that all of these groups espouse Landmarkism. That is a very small sub-sect of baptists and certainly NOT in the doctrinal belief of the first three listed.

Independent Fundamental Baptists may/may not hold to some landmark views. There is no universal doctrinal statement, but I would say less than 10% of any ifb church I know (and I've spoken in hundreds) would hold that position.

Baptist Bible Fellowship doctrinal statement does NOT believe it.

General Association of Regular Baptists doctrinal statement does NOT believe in it.

What exactly do you want to know? Don't paint what you DO NOT KNOW with a broad brush. Being called a "landmarker" is a gross insult to me.

3. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    About the only groups I know of that make this an issue of any kind is the ABA and the BMA. The others may have folks that hold to these views, but they are not a major point of fellowship or seperation, as it where. Are they not preaching seperation with a slash and burn mentality? That is probably because the bible doesn't teach such things. BTW if you go back in baptist history enough you will find that these groups probably do have some sort of relationship

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Wow! What a charge - I am IFB and NOT a Landmarker, yet you say we ALL espouse it?!?!

5. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe I posted before I thought again :eek: Maybe I assumed that some of the groups I mentioned believe in Landmarkism because I have heard their pastors make references to a true church, scriptural baptism, etc. If I made any innuendo assumptions, I am sorry. I just wanted to learn about the differences between ABA/BMA Baptists(prevalent in my part of Arkansas--even more so IMO than SBC Baptists) and IFB/GARBC types(as well as what they have in common).

6. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IFB - It's hard to say what IFB believe. Because they are independent, each church writes and/or adopts its own doctrinal statement. There are hundreds (perhaps thousands, I don't think we even begin to comprehend how many unaffiliated Baptist churches there are) of IFB churches that do hold to some form of Landmarkism. Yet, they would be a minority of the total number of IFB's.

BBF - Many of those (probably most in the South) who divided from the SBC back in the fundamentalist/modernist controversy of the 1920s would have been Landmarkers. I think the first fellowship they started was called the World Premillennial Baptpist Missionary Fellowship (now World Baptist Fellowship). The BBFI divided from that body around 1950. Even then there were still quite a few Landmarkers among them, but that has continually dwindled from that point until now. Probably most that are Landmarkers or lean toward Landmarkism left the BBFI in the recent Heartland/Global Independent Baptist Fellowship controversy/split.

GARBC - I doubt there was ever much tendency toward Landmarkism in this body, which separated from the Northern Baptists.

ABA & BMA- The ABA was formed in 1924, and is a descendant of the old General Association of Missionary Baptists, which was formed circa 1905 by churches and associations that withdrew from the SBC around 1900 (in the South, and mostly in Arkansas and Texas). The BMA separated from the ABA in 1950. This is the short version. Both groups are Landmark in outlook, but have increasingly modified their stance on this (not officially, but local churches & pastors have).