1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured I'm too dogmatic!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, May 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you. My observation was that what he believes should be taught is not the same as what his church teaches and believes. He is trying to change them, and they are probably hoping that he will change to their view. He has basically condemned their view. No one here is surprised that they won't let him teach.

#21 JonC, May 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  2. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why is an internal matter of a local church being discussed in public? Stinks like dirty laundry.

Evan, you should write a letter to the pastor. :laugh:

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are a lot of couples who go to different churches. Ideally, it's not the best, but it happens more than people think and for some, works really well.

Why should he force his wife to "submit" to a church of HIS choice.

If he "reminds" her about submission, then she really isn't submitting. Submission is voluntary and isn't about doing what someone else tells you to do that you are opposed to.

Let them go to separate churches. He is miserable in this one and she loves it.

If they go to this church together or one of his persuasion together, then one of the marriage partners will always be miserable.

Being miserable isn't what submission is about - or at least it isn't what God wants it to be about.

4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, he's got a ways to go to catch up to you!

5. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Oh go chase a rabbit

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

And that may be the problem. In my view LS is scripture and what the apostle clearly taught. I am not teaching Calvinism just scripture but not what they believe. So I need to back off.

7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Bingo!!!!!

8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Also I am only dogmatic because the views I hold are not what they believe. I could argue that the pastor is very dogmatic in areas of which I disagree.

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

So you see I am in a church of which I disagree. So I am considered dogmatic. But I could argue the same about them in areas of which I disagree.

10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

She won't leave the church no matter and I don't want to get a divorce over this.

11. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

You say you are Calvinist but when a question is ask you, "Does Christ love outside of His Son ?" by Convicted 1, you have no clue what he is talking about. You need to find a church strong in the faith and submit yourself unto listing to the Gospel and never open your mouth again till you are grounded in the faith.

12. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure that is entirely healthy for you, but I trust you are being led of God, so conviction in that matter is left between you and Him.

In the meantime, don't worry about a place of leadership in the fellowship, simply carry on with the gifts you have been given, and God will give the increase. He will use you to impact this fellowship as He sees fit.

God bless.

13. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I don't doubt your zeal, even if I disagree sometimes with the way you go about your ministry. I mean no disrespect or insult in this, but you may want to step back and examine your teaching style. You say you don't teach Calvinism, yet I know form experience here that Calvinism enters discussions you are involved in quite frequently, whether intentional or not. It happens to all of us. I'm a firm proponent of free will, so I'll find it creeping into my teaching, even if I wasn't intending to go that route.

Your duty within the church is not to sow discord, which is something that teaching doctrines which are antithetical to the church's established statement of faith can most certainly accomplish.

So here's my advice: Take a deep breath and step back for a moment. Examine your teaching style and see if you can determine what caused the issue in the first place. Dial down any potential self-congratulatory or self-aggrandizing statements. If the Lord does any work through you, it is done for His glory, not yours, or mine, or any other fallible man. If the Lord leads you to another church, have a heartfelt discussion with your wife about it. God designed a system in which you, as the man of the house, ought to lead the house. Lead your house, but do so respectfully, and in reverence of God's holy command.

I'm not a fan of married couples attending different churches, personally. I believe there is too great a risk of differing doctrines, and therefore you can tread dangerously close to being unequally yoked. Also, if you have children, or are thinking of having children, going to differing churches can be very detrimental to a child's spiritual growth.

I hope you are not offended by that, Evan. I know we've disagreed quite vehemently in the past. But I'm offering you this advice in Godly love and respect. You obviously have a zeal for working for the Lord. Don't let your own ideas of doctrine and theology negatively impact the work He has called you to do.

#33 PreachTony, May 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  14. salzer mtn

Paul told another group of people in Rom 10:2 they had a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge. You can have all the zeal in the world but zeal without knowledge is zeal with ignorance, Rom 10:3.

15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

That's because he was not making any sense and needed to better explain!!!!

16. salzer mtn

It was a simple question that all grounded in the Gospel of grace could understand and answer.

17. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because "...he's da man!"

Just kidding.

It should be a decision both are comfortable with. Apparently he is okay with staying for her sake, which might be a reason...Adam ate of the tree, to share in his wife's fate out of love. A possible benefit is a ministry to his wife in dealing with what he might see as error, which may lead to her eventually agreeing with him. It may be his primary reason for being there is his wife, and that the Lord is using this to bring them to that state of oneness that is the result of a healthy marriage.

And that is just speculation.

God bless.

18. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Well said Tom, as an educator I am often reminded of sage words:

People do not care how much you know until they know how much you care.

19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Best post of this thread. Thanks for the encouragement.

20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You are correct

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.