1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured I'm too dogmatic!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, May 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I've heard bits of your sermons. I'm not saying you don't. I'm just saying that you shouldn't lose sight of God's love in your apparent desire to be confrontational. You basically come here and brag about being confrontational. If you are truly called to preach (which I cannot say one way or the other; that's between you and God), then just preach the word and let God do the confronting.

2. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Overzealous dogmatism and being weird don't go well together......

3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

LISTEN TO MY SERMONS BEFORE You judge please!!!!

4. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You want to be confrontational but do not want to be confronted.

5. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You mean you think that there must be a specific quote of the Lord of Him telling the disciples He is going to be confrontational for us to recognize that not only was the Lord very confrontational...but He was confrontational with the disciples as well?

God bless.

6. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is pretty much the description...of every group.

And the only ones that endorse other groups are liberal and ecumenical groups that are willing to let doctrine suffer for the sake of so-called love.

And I am a little confused, you are a MacArthur admirer, from what I have seen, yet you have a problem with an Independent fellowship? And refresh my memory, did you say earlier this fellowship teaches free will? Is that what Bob Jones teaches?

God bless.

7. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not change Churches for the benefit of my wife, do you think my wife is leading my family as well?

As far as serving, do you think teaching in a fellowship is a valid ministry but open-air preaching is not?

God bless.

#87 Darrell C, May 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  8. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I first came back to this forum the first thing I noticed was a targeting of Evangelist.

And now his being confrontational is questioned.

Is there any reason he would not be, on this forum, confrontational?

I would just remind everyone here that persona on an anonymous forum is not usually the same as it is when we deal with people on the outside. Many say things that they would never say to someone to their face, and this is usually the result of anonymity, where because many are more free to be confrontational here than they would in a face to face scenario, a typical response is one which is emotional, and while we might have more reserve in a face to face, here there is less restraint.

Probably most here are very likable people, and get along splendidly in the real world with both believers and unbelievers alike. Keep in mind that the Body of Christ is not immune to sibling rivalry, and while we might love our siblings if the issue was pushed, doesn't mean we wouldn't pick on them or even sometimes intentionally antagonize them.

We can all be a little immature sometimes, right?

Right?

Okay, well I can be a little immature sometimes, anyway.

;)

God bless.

9. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your grammar could cause your statement to be taken a couple different ways. I'll suppose you didn't mean that when you do change church it has nothing to do with your wife's benefits. Instead, I'm guessing you meant that you similarly remain at a church that you don't like but your wife does and you don't change for her benefit. If that is the case, then I would say you too are being a poor leader.

Have you ever asked him if his open air preaching is sanctioned by the church? Do they consider it a part of their local church ministry? Do they train others to do it along with him? Or is Evan a lone rogue in this endeavor? Granted, the local church doesn't need to oversee every single evangelistic effort, but this ministry is somewhat different than that. I feel it would be far more effective and helpful if it were under the guidance of elders or pastor or whatever.

10. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

Darrell, there is a difference between being spiritually confrontational, as Jesus was, in calling out people for their sins, and in being confrontational as Evan is, bragging about how he gets in people's faces.

11. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could you quote him saying this?

God bless.

12. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then I am in serious trouble...

God bless.

13. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

All you need to do is read back through many of Evan's old threads. I don't deny that he displays a zeal for God, but I do often disagree with his methods. That said, I don't hold him higher or lower than anyone else. I wish him the best, as he's in a high-population area, so he can impact many lives. My prayer is that such work is done spiritually and in accordance with the scriptures.

14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Actually my church does not have elders and they do not think like that. They ask all their members to get involved in evangelism and to do whatever works for them. They encourage everyone to pass out lots of gospel tracts each week, and do as much evangelism as possible. They do not feel the need to micro analyze my open air preaching like that of your Reformed church.

I tried explaining this to someone on FB but it kept on going past him as he was unable to comprehend that there are other churches that do not think like his out there. This was a algebra equation to him, and I sure hope it will not be one for you.

15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This guy is a liar

16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also you give poor advice in the area of submission. Speaking with some men at the bible study at the Calvinist/Dispensational church in town they said that leaving my wife to attend another church of my liking would be a foolish thing to do.

They agree with my soteriology, however they are not going to say that the non Calvinist church is preaching another gospel or so bad not to attend and serve there for the sake of my wife.

But I am sure you would take issue with that church since they teach the Premillennial and rapture view eschatology.

17. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And your grammar, as well as the result of it, would be much improved by not letting a desire to undermine cause you to overlook a very simple fact I know full well you are not ignorant of.

...singular...

...plural.

;)

Unless your not familiar with singular/plural, which I know you are, then I have to assume you have a sense of humor, which I'm okay with.

Your guessing?

C'mon Tim...

All I said is...

What you are actually doing is imposing what you want to believe into what someone has said.

The truth is that I love my fellowship, and many of the people there (some of them I just don't know). But (and here is where you can stop guessing, because I am adding the information that would have allowed you to draw an informed conclusion and thus present reasonable commentary) we have discussed the fact that while she is being spiritually fed, I sometimes feel I would like to check around and see if perhaps there might not be another fellowship where I might gain a little more.

I agree with her that we have many friends here, and it is a great fellowship. The preaching and teaching is outstanding, and apart from a few issues I think are a little more serious (such as my Pastor's statement concerning salvation, when asked about the Calv/Arm issue, "It's like one preacher put it, 'God votes for you, Satan votes against you, and you cast the deciding vote.' "), I do not follow up on the idea of searching for and joining another fellowship.

Primarily, yes.

When I was first saved, I did a bit of church-hopping. As I grew a little, I realized there was benefit in learning to adapt, and not to think I could find the perfect church. Now, it's just a matter of this is my fellowship, and there is more involved than myself being fully satisfied with everything, lol.

Never gonna happen, and pardon my grammar.

That may be true, Tim, that may be true.

But not for the reason you suppose.

;)

Why would I do that?

First, I do not feel that one's fellowship has to be the guiding factor in anyone's ministry.

Secondly, seeing that he has, at this time, opposing views with the leadership, I would expect that he would not. Seems he has already tried to minister under their authority, and they have taken those responsibilities away.

Do you think he should sit around and twiddle his thumbs because some cry-babies at his church complained about his teaching?

I say...go for it.

Even if his approach was as bad as some of you fellows make it out to be, one thing for sure...

...he's being obedient to what he believes he should do.

And I'll tell you something about Evangelists...they are usually a step outside of the normal clique of the larger body.

They are weird. Fanatical. Confrontational.

That's why they are not usually Pastors, lol.

So no-one is supposed to do anything outside of their local ministry?

That's why most fellowships are so local, amigo.

You have a problem with Evangelist, you really aren't going to appreciate my ministry, because both Pastors at my church have made the comment "We haven't been called to be Lawyers" many times.

Me, I see Paul presenting an exact opposite view, and you can see that in not only his writings, but in Acts as well. Paul can be seen to be a disputer, lol, fervent in arguing a case, a case which happened to be the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Check the Greek, Tim.

The irony is...they should have him training them, if they don't.

Are you saying if they do not train other open-air preachers, he should not do it?

Really?

Whether he is or not what I feel should be taking place is his gifts should be encouraged and that...from his brethren!

Yet what I see a lot of is brothers and sisters actually discouraging someone from going out and preaching the Gospel of Christ.

Why? Because some misunderstand what Lordship Salvation means?

Christ is Lord. That is not in dispute.

If we feel someone is erroneous in their views, will we convince them of what we see to be sound by discouraging them on a personal level? Or through discussion of doctrine as found in Scripture? Do we not understand everyone is in a growing process and we ourselves play a large role in that? And the impact we have on our brothers and sisters will either be one of edification of one of discouragement?

How many people have become disobedient to the call they have because there was no-one there to encourage them?

How many, Tim?

So everything you said prior to this were empty words?

Praise God for those who do not wait until their leadership appoints them a task before they are busy about preaching the Gospel.

Sadly, many have the idea that the only goal in the Great Commission is to enlarge the local body.

Paul didn't take that route. In fact, the routes Paul did take were many, all with a singular goal, to "...preach Christ and Him crucified."

How so?

Please explain.

And he actually went that route, only to be rejected, not because his Pastor told him his teaching was bad (at least I did not get that impression), but because...

...someone complained.

And I think we know how God feels about murmurers and complainers.

God bless.

18. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    #98 evangelist6589, May 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  19. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And how you encourage him is important.

Again, quote his bragging, and tell me that you are going to let old posts define the man now.

God bless.

20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you ever heard a sermon?

http://www.cerm.info/sermons/audio/easter_reasons.WMA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.