1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is Divorce the Unforgivable Sin?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Feb 24, 2012.

?
  1. In my opinion, YES....

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. In my opinion, NO...

26 vote(s)
    76.5%
  3. In our church doctrine, YES...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. In our church doctrine, NO...

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  5. There is no sin that can't be forgiven, restoring the person to service...

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  6. There will be extenuating circumstances, see my comments...

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  7. It is a case by case problem, see my comments...

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  8. There is only one sin that is beyond forgiveness...

17 vote(s)
    50.0%
  9. I would never sit under the preaching of a divorcee...

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  10. As long as they repented and are living in accordance to the Word, let them serve...

17 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Divorce is only an unforgivable sin in certain churches led by individuals not fully exposed to grace or forgiveness.

Having served under a man who was divorced, and having many friends go through that difficult time...I am absolutely convinced that we need to understand it in a case by case basis.

I still recall the pain that a friend suffered when he learned that our seminary would not hire him (even though he was the only candidate for a position) because he had gotten divorced from his first wife three years prior to his conversion. How sad and outraged I was for him.

The greatest ministry our churches have is living the Gospel truth of grace and forgiveness.

2. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

But our greatest testimony to the world is obedience to the Word of God.

John

3. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That Was my Story, and I' Sticky To It...

...my wife left me for another man, and another, and another. The church I held my license with and was months from ordination with, dropped me like a hot potato.

I was so angry with her, and God and the church, that I left, and lived in and out of sing for 15 years. I did my share of repenting during those years, but, with each act of sin; I grew further away from God, until suicide (a seed planted by the devil, I'm sure) seemed like the only logical way to end my pain.

Thank God He was more powerful than the bullet, and He miraculously stopped the gun from discharging, and I came to my senses, repented and never looked back. My new wife and I will celebrate 32 years in May, and I'm back in the ministry, to some folk's dismay.

What the devil tried to steal, destroy and kill in me, God has all but restored. He is awesome, and I am forgiven for the divorce and any sin I fell into during my "prodigal daze!" I can clearly say I went "prodigal" because before my divorce and fall from grace, my name was written in the Lamb's Book of Life, and thankfully, He doesn;t have an eraser, or use whiteout. If He uses a 'puter to record our names, He never once deleted my name!

I was like the prodigal. I asked for my leave, and went on my way. Slept with the pigs, and woke up in time to make my way back to the Father in order to discover He never forgot me as a child. :type:

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I voted NO. This seems to be going beyond the holy Writ.

5. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is divorce unforgivable? I don't think so, according to The Book.

Is it a disqualification for service? I do not know, but I would find it difficult to sit under the teaching of a divorced pastor who is preaching on the subject is marriage. Credibility would be the issue.

Simply my opinion only.

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Actually, it doesn't say that. Paul says the elder/deacon must be the husband of one wife, referring to bigamy or polygamy. There is certainly room to interpret this as one wife at a time. I lean toward this view, but I emphasize lean, not stand firm.

Even if one thinks not, a divorced man who has not remarried is still the husband of one wife.

Some think that Paul is saying that an elder/deacon MUST be married. If that's right, then a divorced (or single) man is not eligible. But I don't think it means that.

Let me throw another element into the discussion.

A godly man has been married to the same woman for more than 40 years, the only wife he's ever had

But----the woman he married 40 years earlier was a divorcee.

Is he eligible to be a pastor/elder/deacon?

The woman's first husband dies. Does that change anything?

The church elects this godly man as a deacon. Should it have done so?

What if the former husband was still living?

The wife dies. Does that make a difference?

Just asking.

7. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

By the way, Dr. Charles Stanley, pastor of FBC Atlanta, is divorced. He is still pastor.

If I remember correctly, I believe he said that he did not intend to re-marry.

I gather that if he did re-marry, it could be a problem for the church, and for him.

If I have my facts wrong, I welcome correction, but this is my understanding.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If one would say that divorce prevents someone from serving God then it would be a given that divorce is worse than murder. Moses murdered a man.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I would say "It depends". It would totally have to be on a case-by-case basis.

Our church has a divorced man as a pastor. He was divorced as a very young man. He was unsaved as was his wife. He remarried when he was unsaved. he and his second wife were saved and have been married for over 30 years now. He knows that he made many mistakes in his first marriage. He takes full responsibility for what he did wrong in his first marriage. I feel that he is qualified to be a pastor. His past is past.

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He survived a church vote when his wife had enough and filed for divorce. Before the vote he assured the church that should reconciliation fail and the divorce go through, he would resign.

Well, the divorce did go through. . .

11. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No.

(got to add something here since a post must have 10 characters LOL)

12. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Thank you for your testimony that reflects the AWESOME God we serve.

I feel, in my heart, that if He didn't have more service for Him in your life, He would have allowed that bullet to do its intended job. Also believe that while you were mad with Him, you didn't reject Him. If you'd done that, the bullet would probably have hit its mark.

On a different note for a moment. I know a man who for most of his life lived much like I suspect that period of your life was lived. I don't know if he was divorced at some time in his past. It doesn't matter, IMHO. He testifys that when he hit rock bottom, he came to our pastor. That day changed his life.

He finally heard God's call and responded. To make a long story short, a couple of years later, he was ordained at our church. No he didn't attend a seminary. Yes, he's rough around the edges due to his previous life. However, the joy of his salvation shines in him for all to see.

Instead of judging this man for his past life, we should be praising the Lord for the souls he's bringing to Christ today. Regardless of what's in his past, it's evident that the Lord has forgiven him. The fruits of his labors testify of his walk with our Lord. We, as members of HIS church, should do no less.

BTW, the pastor who led this man to Christ is divorced.

Praise the Lord for your testimony of the awesome God we serve.

:godisgood:

#32 Oldtimer, Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2012
  13. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank God He was more powerful than the bullet, and He miraculously stopped the gun from discharging, and I came to my senses, repented and never looked back. My new wife and I will celebrate 32 years in May, and I'm back in the ministry, to some folk's dismay.

Isn't it interesting to see than when you weed through all the "bias pious" we are all in the same boat?

BTY, your book is very interesting, rd2. I have never been through or faced any situations as complex as you however, my road has been quite rocky and full of pot holes just like everyone else. Yes, our Lord is wonderful.

14. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

When God forgives, He wipes their slate clean. No previous sin they committed will ever be brought before them ever again. If someone divorced/remarried in their sinner days, that is also wiped off their record.

If a preacher has a wife who cheats and then leaves, this is not his sin to be burdened with. He is free to remarry, provided it is with a believer. This does not disqualify them from the ministry either. It was not their fault their wife left them.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I would kind of disagree. Yes, it would be his wife's sin but it could very well be his own as well. Oftentimes, there is sin on both sides. He could have done everything perfectly but he also could have a large role in his wife seeking another man's love as well.

16. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

I have to agree with you Ann. Rarely, if ever, are marital problems one sided. Most likely both are at fault along the line.

John

17. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

In some cases divorce may have never been an option, but murder may have been a time or two.

18. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I dunno about this. Take my wife and I for instance. When we were married May 12, 2005, we were both sinners. She had no idea she was "signing up" to become a future "preacher's wife". On May 24, 2007, God saved me. Later on, I was called into His ministry. She has chosen to stay with me because she loves me. A lot of women have left their husband after they were saved. That is in no way the fault of the husband if the wife does not want to be married to a christian/preacher.

ETA: Same goes if the husband leaves their christian wife.....

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Maybe and maybe not. He may be a Pit Bull at home and may be a man who is dangerous to be with. When I was in seminary I was awaken one night by the police nearby because the bulldog had beaten his wife.

20. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Anyone who is truly saved will not beat their spouse. So this is a moot point. Many think they're saved, even say they're saved, but their fruits/actions, show the contrary.