Is Faith Necessary for Salvation?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Baptist_Pastor/Theologian, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Blammo New Member

I already know that. Where is the misunderstanding? :confused:

2. Joined:
    Feb 3, 2005
    The notion that if people do not hear the Gospel and believe it, is diametrically opposed to the notion that people do not need to hear the Gospel but rather are able to respond to God with the light they have.

3. Blammo New Member

Well, other people may be saying a sinner can be saved without hearing and believing the Gospel, but it certainly is not me, and I am not sure I have heard it put that way by others either.

4. jne1611 Member

Adrian Rogers once said that a sinner may not have enough light to save him, but he has enough sin to damn him. I have often thought of those who have never heard the gospel. Where they stand with God. But it is hard to get around what Rom 10 says about not believing on him whom they have not heard, & the need of the preacher. That's why I believe strongly in missions & I believe God will send a preacher to reach His elect around the world.

5. Joined:
    Feb 3, 2005
    My bad Blammo, I think I got you confused with some of the others in this discussion like webdog. .

[/quote]

***Personal attack against Moderator removed***

6. Tom Butler New Member

I read this passage differently. I read it as saying that God's work is to bring people to faith in him. That God's work results in belief. That saving faith is a gift of God.

7. Tom Butler New Member

Go back and start at the beginning of this thread. You'll find it in more than one place. You may not find it stated specifically, but as a deep hope and belief that there must be a way to heaven for those who never hear the gospel.

Stated another way: God desires all to be saved. All need the gospel to be saved. Therefore someway, somehow, all will hear the gospel. God is obligated, or he would be unfair.

BUT....BUT...if all don't hear the gospel, God must have provided another way to heaven that we don't know about, but must be that way, because everybody deserves a chance. God would be unfair otherwise.

You can see where a faulty premise will lead you.

8. Tom Butler New Member

I think a better way to put it is that God does not save people independently of the gospel.

9. jne1611 Member

There is the real question. Well put.

10. Amy.G New Member

That didn't answer my question. I didn't ask if people could be saved without the gospel. I asked if God could save someone apart from a missionary.

11. jne1611 Member

Would that not be the same difference? Not being difficult, but, they would need someone to preach it would they not?

12. Tom Butler New Member

If your premise is correct, then I can see where it logically will take you.

As you know, I disagree with the premise, so I wind up somewhere else.

Humanly speaking, I hope you're right.

I think we've whipped this puppy enough, so I'm pretty much going to lurk, unless something else comes along where I'm unable to resist a comment.

Thanks for a good discussion, and the Christ-like spirit in which you conducted yourself.

13. Amy.G New Member

This is a very difficult question for a lot of Christians, not just me. There have been millions of people who have already died that never heard the gospel. But among all those people there must have been at least a few that did respond to the general revelation that God gives every man. (Romans 1:20). According to one post (I forget who) the general revelation prepares a person's heart for the gospel. My question is this....what if the messenger never gets there? Their heart is ready, but there is no messenger of the gospel. Will they spend eternity in hell? According to BPT the answer is yes. I do not know the answer, but I do not think it is that clear cut. The Bible says Jesus went and preached to the spirits in prison who formerly were disobedient (1Peter 3:19-20). I want to believe that Jesus may just do the same with those poor souls who never hear the gospel but would respond if they were presented with it. I believe God will find a way to get the gospel to those who he knows will answer His call.

14. LeBuick New Member

If I'm wrong then God made some men just to be fuel in hell's fire. Except they won't be consumed so we get to hear them scream thoughout eternity. Glad I'm not them...

EDIT: Fixed spelling of God

15. jne1611 Member

I do not see that he preached to those in hell that were damned to give a second chance to them. But as to the idea of fairness in what God does, I think we must give that to Him as his priority or we will drive ourselves crazy. But as a believer in "election", I believe all of God's elect will hear and receive the gospel according to John 6:37. But in Rom. 2. Paul said: Rom 2:12 For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;
    So this may be a clue as to their end.
    All I can say for sure is that Rom. 10 makes it pretty clear that I man has to believe the gospel to be saved.

16. Jarthur001 Active Member

Hello Amy,

Read this passage and think about what it says.

Isaiah 43
    God loves His people

17. Brother Bob New Member

1 Peter 3:
    "18": For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

"19": By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

"20": Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Greatest preacher of all!!

18. PrmtvBptst1832 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins. -Matthew 1:21.

The answer to the question really is that "clear-cut." Jesus made the once-for-all atonement for sin, and "Who shall lay anything to the charge of God's elect? [It is] God that justifieth. Who [is] he that condemneth? [It is] Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us. " -Romans 8:33, 34. "For [there is] one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;" -1 Timothy 2:5.

According to Strong's 3316, a mediator is "one who intervenes between two, either in order to make or restore peace and friendship, or form a compact, or for ratifying a covenant; a medium of communication, arbitrator." Roman Catholics have made the Church, Mary, and dead "saints" mediators and Protestants have made missionaries, evangelists, and "soul-winners" mediators. There is ONE mediator - Christ Jesus!

19. bound New Member

Aren't we taught that 'the Father and the Son are one'? If the Son is the Mediator between man and God, which I agree that the Bible teaches he is how are we to understand the 'oneness' of the Father and the Son?

As Baptist's what are we to say about the Trinity?

Thanks.

20. rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    We've wandered down many goat paths already; the Baptist view of the Trinity (which is entirely orthodox) deserves another topic.

Thanks.