Is Faith Necessary for Salvation?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Baptist_Pastor/Theologian, Nov 12, 2006.

1. David Michael Harris Active Member

Faith is the gift of God.

It is part of our Salvation, which is, Pure Grace.

David

2. Joined:
    Feb 3, 2005
    In a debate forum it seems a bit unfair to be able to erase the posts of those who are pointing out your inadequacies. Also if you are going to be trying to do a better job as moderator, you might want to first learn how to spell moderator and since your effort is to be better, you want to learn how to spell harder while you are at it.

3. Blammo New Member

What is this debate about? Peoples inadequacies, moderating, spelling...?

4. David Michael Harris Active Member

Exactly.

Faith brings Salvation, but it is the gift of God and so is Grace. Basic Christian teaching 2000 years ago or such :) Are we losing it?

5. Joined:
    Feb 3, 2005
    Iron sharpens iron, let your yes be your yes and your no your no... I call them like I see them.

6. blackbird Active Member

Baptist_Pastor/Theologian

Check your PM's, Kind Sir!

You will show proper respect toward a fellow Moderator, Sir!

Bro. David, Moderator

7. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Could someone's ego be ushering them out the door? Hmmm.....

8. LeBuick New Member

Wait, I'll get his hat... :laugh: :laugh:

9. Amy.G New Member

I'll get his coat. :wavey:

10. Blammo New Member

Proverbs 16:18 Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

Proverbs 13:10 Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom.

Romans 12:3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

Philippians 2:3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.

11. Brother Bob New Member

Is BPT now a moderator? Sure hope I spelled that right.

12. LeBuick New Member

Ah, the old if you can't beat um invite them to join your side trick! Smart. :thumbs:

13. psalms109:31 Active Member

Grace

Faith is a gift of God from His word.

Any gift free or not you have to accept it in order to receive it.

I see men putting words in God's mouth all the time to fit scripture into thier doctrine.

The scripture shows that we are saved by grace through faith.

It does not say this faith is a part of grace but we are saved by grace through faith.

In the the end all men our liars and God speaks the truth.

God does want all men to be saved and come to the truth.

14. Tom Butler New Member

Back about 50 or so posts ago, LeBuick said:
    John 3:16 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

God sent his son to save the world. If God limits who hears the Gospel, then this verse is not true. I believe God is obligated to give everyone a chance at salvation, it was the very reason he sent his son. God's Gospel is for the world.

This view was also advanced by some others that every person in the world receives enough of the gospel to be saved, otherwise God would not be fair. Further, in the OT, every person had to be aware of Jehovah God.

How then do we square that position with the following scriptures?:

Ephesians 2:12 "...that at that time you (Gentiles) were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants and promise, having no hope and without God in the world."

Dr. Robert Reymond, quoted in the blog Old Truth, also offers these other scriptures:

Acts 14:16 God "..in past times, allowed the nations (Gentiles) to walk in their own way.."

Acts 17:30 Paul, on Mars Hill preached that God had winked at (overlooked) their ignorance. Dr. Reymond says this is in the sense that God did nothing to overcome it.

Psalm 147:19-20 "He showeth his word unto Jacob, his statues and judgments to Israel. He hath not dealt so with any nation: And as for his judgments, they have not known them. Praise ye the Lord."

And Dr. Reymond cites this interesting one. In Matthew 11:25, Jesus thanked his Father that he had "hidden these things from the wise and prudent and revealed them to babes." And then Jesus followed by saying that the Father had done this because it pleased him to do so.

One more from Dr. Raymond: In Acts 16, Luke records that Paul and his traveling companions passed through the Phrygian and Galatian region having been forbidden by the Spirit to speak the word in Asia.

Acts 16 also notes that Paul wanted to go to Bithynia, but the Spirit wouldn't let them.

Then, Lebuick, you said in post #12:
    Also, saying some will not receive the goodnews to me places the limitation on God and his Son who promised to draw ALL men and not just those who heard the word. This is why I believe God still has a plan of salvation even if it's not included in the Bible.

Given the scriptures quoted above, then it seems that you are left with that other plan of salvation that does not include the gospel.

15. psalms109:31 Active Member

Children

You have put in Gentiles, but he let all nations go thier own way even Israel.

God has given us over to our own evil desires, but that does not take away the hope we have in Jesus.

We must come to Jesus as a child not wise in our own eyes.

16. saturneptune New Member

Brother Tom is a very well versed, mature Christian within the church in which I serve. In fact, he is the driving force of the church second only to Christ and our pastor. Over the past 29 or so years, I have learned more from this man than I ever learned growing up, or at any other time in my life. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I do not. In this case, I agree 100% with Brother Tom.

One thing Brother Tom is not is arrogant and boastful. He is a humble man who leads by serving.

17. EdSutton New Member

Actually blackbird was, I believe, referring to his fellow moderator, DHK.

Ed

18. psalms109:31 Active Member

Foot hold

We are not to let the devil put a foot hold in our lives, by putting others down and placing ourselves above them.

Jesus prayes that we become one as the Father, and the Son, Holy Spirit are one.

All scripture points to Jesus for our salvation.

We cannot do that by putting others down because none of is perfect, we need Jesus.

Jesus has come to save sinners, not self-righteous men.

Hosea 6:6
    For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings.

Matthew 9:13
    But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."

Matthew 12:7
    If you had known what these words mean, 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice,' you would not have condemned the innocent.

19. David Michael Harris Active Member

We are all sinners, none of us are better than anyone else.

Man, I have had a hard day.

God bless you all...

David

20. Joined:
    Feb 3, 2005
    You guys need to practice what you preach.