Is healthcare a right or a privilege II

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Alcott, Jul 14, 2017.

1. carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, they will. The Hospital , by law has to admit them until their condition is stabilized. Then they can discharge them. If their symptoms return the next day, or within a few hours, they return to the hospital for treatment.

It's the exact same "right" that I have. I'm not denying them any "rights" whatsoever.

Your paramaters are dishonest and false. That's why no one would answer.

Now, This subject is over. You got what you wanted. It was predictable that you would refuse to accept it.

2. Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Health is not equal to healthcare. How is that being free with the text?

3. Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But you.must accept surely that there are circumstances where healthcare is necessary for the sustenance of Health?

4. Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So, what if they have McCain's condition and have to return time and time again until either they are well or they die?

5. Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And food is necessary, and shelter, and clothing, & etc.

Doesn't mean I have a right to someone else's labor or stuff. God has told us to be charitable, to leave food for the poor, to return a cloak taken as collateral before nightfall. That's charity.

6. Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If someone is healed from the cacer McCain has, I'm reckoning it's the Lord's will and nothing else. The stuff McCain has is as bad as it gets. That's why I brought him up.

7. Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If it is necessary for life then surely God has endowed us all with a right to it and denied the 'right ' to knowingly withhold it.

8. Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How does that square with Genesis 3? The land is cursed, and I eat from it by labor and the sweat of my brow. Was the Garden of Eden a gift from God, or Him giving us something we had a right to?

9. FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you meant that to say those are the only things that tax money can be spent on then all of my comments are true. If not, what were you trying to say?

10. Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

As Christians should this be a condition to which we aspire? Surely our Good News to share with others is that God has redeemed us from that curse in the sacrifice of His Son!

11. Stretch New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am admittedly not as knowledgeable about the Bible as I should be, but as far as I know, the Bible doesn't list or spell out what are all the rights a person has. Responsibilities, in many cases, but not rights. I'd be happy to be corrected and to learn more if there is something in the Bible that spells out our basic rights.

I believe that we should ensure that people have access to health care. Of course there will be abuses...our own leaders abuse the system in many ways, so fraud and graft are certainly not limited to poor people.

I think the governing principle should be "Do unto others as you would have done unto you." If you were sick, would you not want to be able to see a doctor and get medicine, regardless of how rich or poor you are? I think everyone would say yes. We live in a wealthy country, with great resources...why can't we make universal health care work here? Are we not our brother's keeper?

I know of one case where the ACA has been a great benefit...this person was unable to continue paying the premiums for private insurance after being laid off, didn't qualify for Medicaid, and was too young for Medicare. This person had significant medical issues, but went without medication and treatment for two years until the ACA was passed, and then got affordable insurance (thanks to subsidies, based on low income) that allowed doctor visits, medication, and other needed care. This person has no tattoos, drives a 14 year old car, and doesn't smoke, drink, do drugs, or anything else that diverts money from basic maintenance. Who cares about these people? It sure seems our leaders don't.

12. MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The government determines if health care is paid for by individuals or by the government via taxation (society).
    Healthcare is not a right. Healthcare is a privilege.
    The question is whether all humans should receive this privilege or whether only those who can pay for the service should receive this privilege.
    In either case, healthcare services is a privilege, not a right.

13. Cinnamon Apples New Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think health care is a right but not in the realm of socialized tax payer funded support.
    I think if there is a repeal and replace of Obamacare that the best place to start repair is to draft legislation that addresses the provider companies themselves. And the care providers.
    I shouldn't be charged $75.00 for a mucous containment apparatus'. (a box of tissues)

With Obamacare now, deductables are so high that many clients can't afford the insurance they're already paying premiums for. So what's the use? Paying for illegals and welfare persons is what.
    And it isn't fair.
    I run a small business with just me and my husband. We can't afford even the cheapest coverage so we have no insurance. Yes, there's a penalty attached. It arrives when the IRS withholds monies returned at the end of tax season, refunds, in order to pay for the "fine" for not having Obamacare.
    We never get refunds because greater and greater competition is putting us at a deficit. The way we look at it, keep that non-existent refund. Accrue those totals due for non-compliance. Bill me! :Ninja

Socialized Medicine in America = HMO = Have Money or Die.

14. Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    $75.00 tissues are how a hospital pays for the mandated care in the ER.

15. Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Every one, as he is bound to preserve himself, and not to quit his station willfully, so by the like reason, when his own preservation comes not in competition, ought he, as much as he can, to preserve the rest of mankind, and may not, unless it be to do justice on an offender, take away, or impair the life, or what tends to the preservation of the life, the liberty, health, limb, or goods of another."

So here's Locke again. How does "ought to" become "a natural right to" ???

16. Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed.