1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

is Roman catholism Regarded as a Cult/False Gospel/ Gospel + Works/True Gospel?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by JesusFan, Apr 8, 2011.

1. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

actually, RC teaches that God and man 'co operate" in getting a person saved... God provides the cross and sacraments, but a man MUST do enough penance /good works to earn enough merit to be able to "get saved"...

person co operates with God enough to become 'good enough" to earn salavation...

#41 JesusFan, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2011
  2. JesusFan

You have to understand that though there might be "positions" held/taken by Catholics different than official Catholic teachings...
    You CANNOT disagree with the cardinal doctrines/dogmas of the RC and be a "good cathoilic" at least in eyes of the Vatican...

Try teaching as a priest that one is saved by Grace of God thru Faith in Christ ALONE and see what happens!

#42 JesusFan, Apr 11, 2011
  3. JesusFan

Not attacking here though...
    Just seeing IF a Church that proclaims that they ALONE are the one true Church, and that you MUST do penance/works+ Grace of God is any different that what Mormons and JW would say?

Isn't a Gospel of grace + anything qualify as a False Gospel/Church?

4. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mormons say that we are saved by grace alone "...after doing all we can do". Catholics believe we're saved by grace, but have to perform salvific works or else God will take that grace away from you and, if you're really lucky, you get to go to Purgatory where you'll get the chance to expiate all the sins Jesus' blood didn't cover.

I'm having a hard time seeing much difference.

5. billwald

billwald New Member

What did 1000 years of Christian theology mean by "the communion of saints?"

6. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Isn't that sort of synergism much like the synergism suggested by those who have a LFW doctrine?

7. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I. All saints, that are united to Jesus Christ their Head, by His Spirit, and by faith, have fellowship with Him in His grace, sufferings, death, resurrection, and glory: and, being united to one another in love, they have communion in each other's gifts and graces, and are obliged to the performance of such duties, public and private, as do conduce to their mutual good, both in the inward and outward man.

II. Saints by profession are bound to maintain an holy fellowship and communion in the worship of God, and in performing such other spiritual services as tend to their mutual edification; as also in relieving each other in outward things, according to their several abilities and necessities. Which communion, as God offers opportunity, is to be extended unto all those who, in every place, call upon the name of the Lord Jesus.

III. This communion which the saints have with Christ, does not make them in any wise partakers of the substance of His Godhead; or to be equal with Christ in any respect: either of which to affirm is impious and blasphemous. Nor does their communion one with another, as saints, take away, or infringe the title or propriety which each man has in his goods and possessions.

8. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

You have given a perfect example of the disunity among Catholics. Your friend had a vasectomy, believes it is okay, and still receives communion. I believe that the Catholic Church considers vasectomy (or any form of artificial birth control) to be a mortal sin. (I don't have my copy of the Catechism at my desk, so I am unable to quote directly from it.)

Catholics are not free to disregard Catholic teaching and receive the sacraments -- at least to the best of my knowledge. Those who pick and choose which teachings to follow are scornfully referred to as "cafeteria Catholics". Perhaps the teachings have changed; I have been gone from the Catholic Church for nearly 15 years.

Is the Catholic Church a cult? They do teach doctrines that are not in scripture, but I don't know if I would classify them as a cult...

9. WestminsterMan

WestminsterMan New Member

Where - at your local church? And which history would that be? Protestant, Catholic, or non secular? Hmmm....

Ohhh please....

WM

10. WestminsterMan

To my knowledge, Catholic doctrine forbids praying to graven images as does scripture. If these people are doing this then they aren't following RCC teaching. Perhaps I am ignorant of RCC doctrine... Perhaps you can show me where they teach that a Catholic is to worship graven images...

WM

11. WestminsterMan

News flash! Saints are ALIVE in heaven with Jesus. He is the God of the living and not of the dead.

What if God chooses that someone in heaven can hear us? I suppose He can do whatever He wants - whether you like it or not.

In Revelation 5:8, where John depicts the saints in heaven offering our prayers to God under the form of "golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints." But if the saints in heaven are offering our prayers to God, then they must be aware of our prayers. They are aware of our petitions and present them to God.

Oops...not only a swing but a knock out. ;)

True. Yet that neither negates nor reinforces your argument.

WM

#51 WestminsterMan, Apr 11, 2011
  12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm getting this hunch you are not really a baptist, WestminsterMan. Are you another one of the undercover RC's that joined here under false pretenses in order to straighten out "us baptists"?

13. WestminsterMan

Oh - I see... because I disagree with your position I suddenly become a RCC spy. Nice.

WM

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

There have been a half dozen or so in the past year. The fact your handle states "westminster"...and your views are clearly not in line with that is quite puzzling if you are truly baptist.

15. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand that they're alive in Heaven, but they are dead to us.

Romans 14:9 says otherwise.

Then He would have told us so in His word, rather than making a blanket condemnation against praying to the dead and then leaving us to guess whether or not there are exceptions.

And He will always be consistent with His Word, whether you like it or not.

Actually, it was a foul ball. First of all, the passage never says that the dead in Heaven can hear our prayers and even if it did, it still never says that we are allowed to pray to the dead or to anyone other than God.

So then, can the dead do this?

Rutgers University, Widener University, Del Tech, Camden Co College and currently, Chesapeake Baptist Bible College.

There is only one.

Now could you please answer my questions?

I'm off for my Monday night class. I'll be back around nine. I hope you will have had the courage to try to answer my questions by then.

#55 JohnDeereFan, Apr 11, 2011
  16. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I certainly am no defender of Webdog, in all fairness to him, it is a little odd that you would pick a name that indicates a Reformed background and then use common Catholic arguments.

17. WestminsterMan

I too have classes until 9:00pm. After a 14 hour day, it will be tomorrow before I will have the "courage".

WM

18. WestminsterMan

I believe I can pick any name that I choose.

WM

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why that if you are an rcc apologist? That would be like me picking Sinlessvirgin or Queenofheaven as a baptist.

20. WestminsterMan

I don’t think you can prove that from scripture.

Mark 12:27 says so.

So you say. Not everything was written in scripture now was it?

“There are also many other things which Jesus did; were every one of them to be written, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the books that would be written” (John 21:25).

I agree...He will always be consistent with His word. What I take exception with is YOUR interpretation of His word.

Wrong! We are explicitly told by John that the incense they offer to God are the prayers of the saints. Prayers are not physical things and cannot be physically offered to God. Thus the saints in heaven are offering our prayers to God mentally. In other words, they are hearing our prayers and they are interceding for us. You may not like it, but that is clearly what Revelation 5:8 says. Clearly, this can only happen by the power of God.

Again - saints are not dead and prayer isn’t always worship - it can be supplications as well as other things. Holding graduate history degrees, you should know that.

1) The saints are NOT dead.
    2) They can do nothing on their own - the power comes from God and God alone.

I have.

WM