Is the Codex Sinaiticus FAKE?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by AVL1984, May 9, 2022.

1. Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure of "rejected" or just "not inspired" so not included. I do not believe a single Word inspired by God is lost, but do believe the Apostles wrote many things that were not inspired so are not in the canon.

First letter to Corinth. We have the second and third (labeled I & II since the first letter is missing).

BTW, I personally think that the letter to Laodicea was a cyclical letter that was to ALL the Greek churches in SW Asia Minor. Oldest manuscripts of Ephesians literally have a "blank" in the name, so that copies could be made for Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia, Laodicea, Heliopolis, Miletus, Troas (Troy), Assos, et al. While Paul's letters often have specific people or events mentioned tying him to that specific city, the Epistle to the __________ (Ephesians) has none.

2. 37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ". . . That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand. . . ."

3. 37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Textual critic Wilbur N. Pickering translation note, "I take it that Paul is claiming to be Christ’s apostle to them, so he is writing with specific apostolic authority. Less than 1% of the Greek manuscripts, of objectively inferior quality, omit ‘at Ephesus’ [such is the basis for the nasty footnotes in NIV, NASB, LB, etc.]."

4. 37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The underlying issue is on what corroborating evidence is one accepting a said document or report. On what basis are we accepting the witness or witnesses we see, read or hear?

5. 37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. JesusFan Well-Known Member

From the very beginning of the Church age, the Christians held to the Jewish canon already recognized at time of Christ as being inspired books, and started to circulate around the NT books by end of first century, so early on had already agreed that majority of what would be the "official" NT canon was agreed upon, only disputed books were James, due to some see Him and paul disagreeing, revelation and Hebrews and 2 peter, as not sure who author was!

7. JesusFan Well-Known Member

A big test was if there was a recognized Apostle as author, or if the author was associated with an Apostle, such as mark with peter, and Luke with paul!

8. 37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As of since the book of Revelation I am of the view those 27 books where and so are settled.

9. JesusFan Well-Known Member

The canon of the inspired 66 books were settles way before any official church council "a[proved" of them. as Rome did NOT give to us the Bible!

10. OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The early Christians pretty much agreed on which writings were inspired. By the 3rd/4th century, there were many non-inspired writings going around that folks like Athanasia firmly stated (my wording, of course), "These 66 and no others,", merely expounding what was generally believed. Since then, though there's been some sniping at Esther, James, Hebrews and others, the canon has well settled.