1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is the Sermon on the Mount for Today?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by 1689Dave, Jul 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since it seems like you missed it. I’ll post it again.

The problem is that you are not following Jesus's words. Jesus said turn the other cheek - not if someone murders your mother, let them murder your wife as well. The extreme nature of your interpretation is disturbing. I don't see any words of Jesus interpreting the extreme pacifist reaction to extreme violence which you recommend.

2. GoodTidings

GoodTidings Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doesn't say he was beaten by robbers. And the "dangers" are not expressly described as "violence." Once again, you are reading into the passage, something it doesn't actually say.

3. GoodTidings

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Sermon on the Mount is what you are talking about and what Jesus said about not resisting evil. YOU are saying that is talking about not resisting violence, but that is not what it actually says, nor does that fit the context.

You are, in fact, ignoring the context in order to make the Bible promote pacifism, which does not.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Post # 12

5. GoodTidings

Faith:
    Baptist
    Big difference. The Bible doesn't say that Paul was beaten by robbers. YOU said that. You adding something into the text.

Secondly, people like you, who are ignorant of the Word of God and what it teaches, misinterpret and pervert what it means to "love your enemies."

"Loving your enemy" does not mean to let your enemy take advantage of you and to allow him to commit all man of violence against you. That is not loving your enemy at all. It's just stupid to let your family be destroyed at the hands of a murderer/rapist. No sane, intelligent person does that.

"Loving your enemy" refers to treating someone who hates you in a manner that reflects Jesus. But the "enemy" being referenced is someone who has committed a personal wrong. If someone slanders you, you are not to slander them back. If someone gossips about you, you are not do so in kind. You are not take any kind of revenge on those people but rather pray for them. That is what Jesus is talking about.

Any man who would not guard his family from danger is a poor excuse of a man and is also a poor excuse for a Christian and should not have a family.

6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is also His post resurrection doctrine, ". . . they shall speak with new tongues; . . ." -- Mark 16:17. If the Biblical gift of tongues are yet operational.

But then there is the doctrine of Christ in which one must believe if one is really born from God. 1 John 5:1. 2 John 1:9.

7. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I consider that Dave may answer on his own.

I gave my own thoughts on this thread here:
    I would add that at times the resisting of evil obliges a call to arms, and engagement by nations. That is truly a sadness that believers have and will have to wrestle.

The national hero, Sargent York, struggled with this very issue, and so did Desmond Doss, who came to a different conclusion.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Different Christian sects have come up with their own doctrines, and yours is but one of many. The Scriptures sometimes says one thing (Jesus said to buy a sword) and then the next thing you know it's turn the other cheek. So which is it? Is there variances in what the Scriptures say? Jesus always preached at the highest level, looking to get the best out of us.

9. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    How do you know for sure? Most of what happened wasn't written down, so maybe St. Paul did indeed shove a centurion or a jailer or a highwayman at some point.

10. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Two great examples. As for our friend Dave here, I respect his C.O. status during the Vietnam war, but he loses me when he won't defend the weak and helpless with physical force if needed.

11. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you think both Jesus and Paul are "in danger of hell fire" because they called people fools? [Matthew 5:22]

You should have told me before that I am your thought master.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    While His teaching was given under the Law, except for that, I do not see how those teachings do not apply today in our church age. ". . . Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God. . Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. . . ." -- Matthew 5:8-9. ". . . Ye are the salt of the earth: . . ." -- Matthew 5:13. ". . . Ye are the light of the world. . . ." -- Matthew 5:14.

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Proverbs 21:3 To do justice and judgment is more acceptable to the LORD than sacrifice.

The Lord has been merciful to you despite your errors, not because of them.

14. Alofa Atu

Alofa Atu Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Not only do I think the sermon is for today (yet what I think doesn't really matter, only what scripture KJB says matters) I think it is for right very now at every present moment (which agrees with what scripture says, and so I "Amen" God's inspired and preserved words).

Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

If the texts were not for the disciple of Christ, the very Christian, the echo of God's word, then what use of this:

Mat 6:9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
    Mat 6:10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
    Mat 6:11 Give us this day our daily bread.
    Mat 6:12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
    Mat 6:13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

Most do not even consider what the temptation or evil in the verse is.

#54 Alofa Atu, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  15. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus forbids killing enemies.

16. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul lived what he taught. How many times was he beaten and left for dead with no mention of anything more than vocal defense?

17. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus taught non resistance of evil. The two swords got Jesus convicted of being a transgressor. He did not advocate violence.

18. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul was robbed and beaten several times. But even if nice robbers only threatened him, it remains, he did not avenge himself but gave it to the Lord to whom vengeance belongs

19. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    “But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.” Matthew 5:39 (KJV 1900) = physical violence

20. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul was nonetheless beaten many times. If nice robbers asked him without any threats, it doesn't say, but murder often accompanies robbery to avoid detection. Paul taught non-violence too, turning vengeance over to the Lord.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.