1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is watching a R rated movie a sin?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jul 14, 2017.

1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I too was in the Air Force and before my walk with the LORD,
    I would on occasion on the weekend with a couple of other fools get-fall-down-cant-get-back-up drunk;

Never, never, never , ever, ever, ever do it!

You will experience the suffering of the souls in hell,

Believe me.

I have to tell you.

Drink covfefe instead.

HankD

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dr.Mychalson

Dr.Mychalson Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, it means everything is done in the light of our obeying the commandments of Jesus...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mike Hall

Mike Hall Member
    Site Supporter

Is watching aN R rated movie a sin? Needed the letter N.
    So how are your morals and scruples? How does it cause you to think?
    Does watching said movie cause you to stumble and fall? What is the content of the movie. I have seen advertisements for movies that should have been rated X carry an R rating and so on.

The question is too ambiguous.

Will there be a question on moderation on the test?

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Titus 1:15 Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled.

HankD

5. Mike Stidham

Mike Stidham Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My "hard drink" of choice is Diet Dr. Pepper. It used to be the real deal, but the doctor said I needed to go to diet drinks...
    I never, even before salvation, saw the appeal of drinking nasty tasting liquids to achieve an altered state of consciousness.

6. Keith Stokes

Keith Stokes New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Goodness, I do not believe I'm going to reference the NLT, but here goes:8 And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. Philippians 4:8 NLT.

Somehow I do not believe any R movie would fit the above quoted verse. Heck, I don't believe a G rated does these days. (Beauty and The beast new movie remake from cartoon had homosexual innuendos throughout with LeFou "getting his man" when the objects were reversed from it's curse in the end.) Just about anything Hollywood produces is geared to appeal to at least one of our baser members. I don't take Bro. Roloff's stand on television so stringently, but he wasn't so far off calling it the One Eyed Monster or Hell's Play Pretty. I believe movies and television do more harm than edifying. Definitely challenges ones sanctification. Same with these computers too. As Christians we have to realize that we are pilgrims passing through and not everything is advantageous for us no matter how attractive the world makes it.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did seek the mind altering states of being in my foolish youth, drugs, hallucinogens.

Lysergic Acid (LSD) another colossal NO NO!
    Though it's not addictive one bad trip could be so horrible one could very possibly end in suicide.
    Not only that one can have flashbacks with dropping any substance.

HankD

8. Rlee

Rlee Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know this is aside from the topic but just from curiosity, has anyone else here been divorced from a situation that was not caused by adultery and then remarried?

9. Rlee

Rlee Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Regarding the question about movie ratings and despite how childish some may think it is to ask such a question, it is a real issue in the church and I see some here have dealt with it. There are many Christians in the church who have yet to be discipled on godly living. On a slight twist, my concern and bewilderment comes from studios and parents who submit their child/children to fill roles in movies that many of them should never be allowed to see, let alone act in. How does a seven year old take part in a movie that has a rating that wouldn't allow them in the theater in the first place? I know we can't expect the world to be anything other than what they are but it continues to surprise me how little thought and compassion for a child's psyche and mental and spiritual future is displayed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

For sure, none of the self righteous. :)

11. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    People should be aware that there are resources out there that can be used to pre-screen a movie's objectionable content. The most helpful one that I've found is the Parent's Guide section on movie information on www.imdb.com. You do a search on a movie that interests you and then scroll down the information until you get to Parent's Guide. Click on Parent's Guide and you will see a listing of potentially objectionable content categorized by Sex and Nudity, Violence and Gore, Drugs and Alcohol, Profanity, and Intense Scenes/Frightening Images. Armed with this information one can make a reasonable determination if you should watch the movie.

A quick shortcut to this information is to type into Google,

imdb.com "Movie Name" parent's guide

and it should pop right up.

Example:

imdb.com Saving Private Ryan parent's guide

This also works for TV shows.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

What are you doing on this thread?

13. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think its called posting comments. Good ones, I might add.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Col_3:17 And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Can we watch a movie R rated or otherwise and then thank the Lord we were able to watch it. This is not a complicated issue and needs little to no discussion.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So the Passion of the Christ is a bad movie to watch?

17. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can we thank God for the opportunity to watch it? If yes then I would say it is not a bad movie to watch. If no then I would say it is a bad movie to watch.

18. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Here are my ratings for this post:

Evan6589 Funny.JPG

I thought this was an informative post. It was on-topic. Someone found it Funny.

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My sister uses vidangel and liked it. Still, I guess you are supporting the production with your money (but at least you are watching out for your family).

20. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Member

You obviously aren't asking this though (I have never seen passion of the christ myself. It came out when I was a full on fundie, and it was considered idolatry from my church so I never got around to seeing it back then. Now I just can't be bothered to watch it).

In reality, you are asking if something like "Pulp Fiction" is okay to watch. I can't think of any R rated movies off the top of my head except that. I don't actually watch TV or movies a lot (cost too much to go to movies).

You are trying to justify something you are ashamed of.

Just admit it, you'll feel a lot better when you lose the mask and start to be real about your faults and failures :)

Hope you find freedom John!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1