1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is watching a R rated movie a sin?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jul 14, 2017.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That means we need to watch what we listen too and view on TV.

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because mine is not an interpretation. What I, along with many others, have offered you is Scripture. You come back with "Jesus may have said that but what He really meant was this".

I will always stand against such false teaching and those who preach such things. "Subjective truth" is no truth at all.

At one time you also spoke against this kind of liberal interpretation. At one time you spoke of the Lordship of Christ. At one time you taught about the objective truth of Scripture. You have let circumstances make a wreck of your faith.

#62 JonC, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  3. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "I discovered Mike's Hard Lemonade, which has an addicting taste to it, but contains enough alcoholic content to get someone drunk, as I got on several occasions. I would sometimes drink after a depressing moment, or when I just wanted to feel the high of alcohol."
    The deception of Alcoholic Beverages

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But don't you know, truth is subjective and it changes with our desires. And what is "is" anyway?

I am so disgusted with this situation and this false preacher. As a nation we are in a moral decline and we have professing Christians beating the atheists to the bottom of the cesspool.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. brotherG

brotherG New Member

We are discussing the issue of watching R rated movies NOT your divorce guilt. Please stick to the topic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. brotherG

brotherG New Member

The question is whether YOU are on board with God. No one is subject to what you think. Only what God says matters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. brotherG

brotherG New Member

I contend that watching movies is NOT a gray area. It is what our flesh wants more than God wants that causes "gray" areas in discussions. We should be subjecting ourselves to guiding principles of God's Word - not to what the majority thinks. If one considers that an "holier than thou" (btw is the world's term for people who are holier than they are) attitude; so be it. If you can't go to God's Word and ask Him personally for guidance - and condemn others for a spiritual opinion based on His principles; then you should assess where you are as/ or if you are a child of God. We often take advantage of God's grace, mercy and forgiveness by playing around with Sin. We are so consumed in America with entertainment that our decisions in life (reality) are affected by it. Our thinking is challenged, our emotions are taxed and we have been conditioned to think that we need the 3 R's (rest, relaxation, recreation) to combat the stress in our life. Our rest should be in Christ. Don't we sing songs that say this? Is there not Scripture to bear this out? ! Thessalonians 5:22, 1 Corinthians 10:31, and Philippians 4:8 should settle most arguments. The bottom line is Who do we want to please? Ourselves, others, or the LORD?

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that it is a grey area for a couple of reasons. First, there are some very godly movies out there that do glorify God. Second, there are some movies that are mere entertainment (they do not, in themselves, glorify God any more than bowling or playing a ball game glorifies God in themselves).

For example, I really enjoyed Hidden Figures. Was the movie designed to glorify God? No. But did it provide a time where my wife and I could take some time out of our day to simply enjoy each other's company while watching the movie? Yes. Did we glorify God by doing so? I believe we did.

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is watching a R rated movie a sin?

Romans 4:23 ... whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

HankD

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've never seen it but "The Passion of the Christ" is rated R. I'm having a hard time saying it would be a sin to watch it.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't mind violence and language, but I try to avoid strong sexual content.

12. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, but where is the line? When I go catch catfish, it is not necessarily "of faith", but I am confident its not a sin. I am not disagreeing with you, but I personally have never gotten a complete handle on the application of that passage.

13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Watching Spider Man homecoming. What a stupid movie.

14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Language does bother me especially when they take the name of the Lord in vain.

15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its R rated for the violence and nothing else. Why have you not watched it? Many christians have watched it and I am surprised you have not.

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good point - This OP about R- rated movies was started by Evan himself. The first mention of divorce was in post # 11 by Evan.

In addition to the ratings - some movies are giving a "score" to objectionable material - including profanity, substance use, discussion topics, violence and ect.
    Click here for an example.

I remember what my dad told me: When in doubt - do without.

17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God does allow us to be entertained and its healthy to get a healthy does of entertainment. True watching a baseball game does not glorify God, but nothing wrong with it neither, as long as it does not turn into our God. Did War of the Planet of the Apes and Spider-Man homecoming glorify God? Probably not, but the both provided entertainment for me and that is something I need given that I am divorced and away from family so it does get depressing and lonely at times so I need some level of entertainment. When I go out witnessing and open air preaching tomorrow should I address this topic? No because I focus on John 14:6, use the law to convict of sin, and preach that people are to repent of their sins and turn to Christ before it is too late. I do not preach on issues that Christians divide over (eschatology, church government, evangelism methods, views on remarriage after divorce, entertainment, etc..)

18. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Take the women out of Playboy and it is family friendly.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder how much entertainment that the Apostle Paul engaged in?

PS - just cant resist discussing you unbiblical divorce, can you?

20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not following you.