Is watching a R rated movie a sin?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jul 14, 2017.

1. InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, that's my experience too. Well, I wasn't full fundie anymore, but close enough!

2. HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pulp Fiction was OK. Might have been some sleazy stuff but to be forthright it hardly makes a blip on my radar anymore.

I like John Travolta.
    :)
    HankD

3. Mike Stidham Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At the time I remarried, I really didn't have any proof that there was adultery. Ironically, my ex admitted to the woman I married that there actually was!

4. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    One issue is that marriage cannot be based on selfish interest. The husband is commanded to love his wife (independent of the love being reciprocated).

While we often live with the consequences of our sin God does heal and God does forgive. I know that sometimes I may sound harsh, but the reason is not really the divorce itself but the lack of a humble, contrite spirit calling out to God as both Father and Judge who will judge impartially our deeds. The problem here is not the sin committed but the sinfulness that tries to justify that sin.

A Christian can be divorced, even on unbiblical ground, and experience restoration and forgiveness, but this is dependent not on defending ones actions but on turning back to God.

5. annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Another resource for movie reviews that we have used for years is kids-in-mind.com. It is VERY thorough and allows you to know whether a movie is good to see or not.

6. Lukasaurus Member

It's not funny John/Evangelist6

I'm going to keep speaking directly to you, hoping that you'll open up and seek help from God and others.

7. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We went to the Hans Zimmer concert last night (it was great) . I was about to tell my wife that at least we didn't have to worry about the language when Zimmer dropped the "f-bomb" (he did apologize). Sometimes family friendly doesn't work out that way. :)

8. Rlee Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I so enjoy the music of Mr. Zimmer, as well as James Horner. What a disappointment that must have been.

9. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was very early in the concert and he made up for it during the show. It was one of the best concerts I've seen.

10. Stretch New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I have. I divorced my first wife and it was definitely not based on Biblical standards...in fact, I wasn't a Christian at the time. We weren't getting along and I left her...she wanted to reconcile, but I refused and proceeded with the divorce. It was purely pride and arrogance on my part (and immaturity and stupidity.) Later, I remarried, but before I accepted Christ. Am I living in adultery? I am, based on the Biblical definition, but I think I have been forgiven when I accepted Christ. My current wife was a Christian when we met, so she shouldn't have married me but she did. It was largely due to her influence that I became a Christian, so that was definitely a blessing for me. We've been married for 38 years now, and even though I should have remained married to my first wife based on Biblical standards, I give thanks every day for my wife now. [Interesting note: at one time, I was asked to be a deacon in the church we were attending; I said that I couldn't since I was not a man of one marriage. The committee said they didn't hold to that standard, because if they did they would have a hard time finding anyone! Sad commentary on our times. Still, I declined because I didn't feel that I could serve in that capacity.]

As for movies and television shows...there are obviously some that are unacceptable based on the content. In other cases, if you are watching an innocuous family show and find yourself lusting after the female lead, then that isn't a show you should watch based on your own weakness, which may not be a problem for another person. Even if your entertainment is innocuous but you spend time on it and have no time for Bible study or prayer, then it really isn't innocuous. (I am by no means saying that I am perfect in these issues...in fact, I fail daily.) It is a very difficult thing for a Christian today, with the unending barrage from every aspect of life.

11. Rlee Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for sharing Stretch. One thing is for sure, we've all made our share of mistakes and bad decisions and if we belong to Christ, the Holy Spirit is sure to cause us to mourn and regret those times. It's moving on in repentance, gaining forgiveness, and seeking the perfect strength of He who holds us so that we don't make the same mistakes again. Life certainly hasn't turned out the way I thought it would, due to my own stupidity and immaturity, and also due to the actions of others. Imperfect I am, holy I wish to be, but saved and persevering, I continue. Awesome and insightful comment on our entertainment choices.

12. Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is watching a R rated movie a sin?

If the question needs to be asked, then to the one seeking an answer it probably is.

13. Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Evan, my comment was not intended to be funny. There is a place for jokes, and this thread is not one of them.

14. Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its a shame that some think an R rated movie is just a big joke.
    That tells a lot about that person.