I've Blashphemed the Holy Spirit. What now?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Tyler, Dec 10, 2019.

1. George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, by God's grace I made a video about just that topic and I pray that the Biblical truths therein can minister peace to your troubled heart:

Dr. George Antonios

2. Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    @Tyler

Another thing I would say is this. Make sure you are in a good Bible Preaching church and be under the sound preaching of the Word of God as often as possible.

3. George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was not Esau that did not repent, it was Isaac!
    Heb 12:16 Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright.
    Heb 12:17 For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance [from Isaac his father], though he sought it carefully with tears.

Isaac would not repent of having blessed Jacob and would not bless Esau. That this is the correct interpretation is in Genesis itself:
    Gen 27:36 And he said, Is not he rightly named Jacob? for he hath supplanted me these two times: he took away my birthright; and, behold, now he hath taken away my blessing. And he said, Hast thou not reserved a blessing for me?
    Gen 27:37 And Isaac answered and said unto Esau, Behold, I have made him thy lord, and all his brethren have I given to him for servants; and with corn and wine have I sustained him: and what shall I do now unto thee, my son?

Repentance is not always from sin, otherwise, God repented from sin:
    Gen 6:6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
    Gen_6:7 And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.
    1Sa_15:11 It repenteth me that I have set up Saul to be king: for he is turned back from following me, and hath not performed my commandments. And it grieved Samuel; and he cried unto the LORD all night.

Let the Bible interpret its own terms. Please rest assured that the door of repentance is always opened unto you.

4. Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This is one of the most mishandled texts in the Bible. Blasphemy of the Spirit is rejecting the Spirit's drawing to the point that He hardens you. This was evident in the Pharisees who, even when they saw miracles firsthand, refused to acknowledge Christ. They had been hardened to the point of no return.

I think the reason this text is mishandled, might be the doctrine of Irresistible Grace. The interpretation I offer implies that the Spirit can be resisted, which is a no no in many circles. So they offer a very confusing theory about attributing miracles to the devil, but only at that time, or only during the life of Christ, or only when viewing Christ's miracles firsthand, etc.

The simple truth is, blasphemy of the Spirit is committed by everyone who ends up rejecting the drawing of the Spirit and ends up rejecting Christ to the point they don't want Christ anymore and will never want him again. I'm convinced that everyone who ends up in Hell will have committed this sin.

The evidence you've committed this sin, therefore, is an attitude like that of the Pharisees, totally hardened, totally unwilling to believe.

5. George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only problem is that it doesn't say that. It's literally blaspheming the Holy Ghost, just like the scriptures say.
    I can't change what the word of God says just because it's a difficult passage to resolve.

6. Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The word spirit vs. ghost is not relevant to my argument. If you like Ghost, go with it. It's not relevant to the point.

Unless that wasn't your point. If not, please clarify.

The issue though, is becoming so hardened, that you would even dismiss the miracles done right in front of you. The Pharisees didn't specifically speak something about the Holy Spirit, they rather spoke against His works done through Christ.

Thus the evidence of this sin is acting like the Pharisees did in this instance.

A good parallel passage might be this one:

Heb. 10:29 How much more severely do you think someone deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified them, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace?​

That's the blasphemy that is no longer covered. Insulting God to the point that you are hardened and can never believe and be saved. That is a perfect picture of the Pharisees he was addressing.

7. Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gentlemen,
    Blasphemy of the Spirit is attributing the work of God, via the Spirit, to the devil.

No one who is saved would ever do that.

Tyler,
    If I may be so bold ( and I really don't want to be, but it seems you and I have trashed ourselves in very much the same way, as believers )...
    I think you're going through many of the same things I did when I allowed sin to run rampant in my own life for a very long time...including many of the things that you have described.

I'd be glad to tell you any of them, if you like, but not in the open forum.

Here's what I think has happened:

1) You've forgotten that your old sins were purged, because you've failed ( like I had ) to do the following:

" And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
    6 and to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
    7 and to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
    8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make [you that ye shall] neither [be] barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
    9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.
    10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:"
    ( 2 Peter 1:5-10 )

2) I think that your life of yielding to sin has made your conscience shipwreck:

" Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck:" ( 1 Timothy 1:19 )

In this passage, many people read it to say that their faith can be shipwrecked...
    This is not the case.
    Look at it carefully.

It says holding faith...
    and a good conscience...
    Which some having put away ( put from them ) concerning faith...
    ...have made shipwreck.

So, like me, your conscience towards God is in the garbage can.
    Mine was, and yours still is, from what I'm gathering.

The remedy is this:

" Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset [us], and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
    2 looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of [our] faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God."
    ( Hebrews 12:1-2 ).

Lay aside the sins, seek the Lord through His word and prayer, and your conscience towards God will recover, in time.;)

Be patient. :)

8. Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What I've heard for years. Actually, this explanation undermines the Gospel message of salvation by faith and not by works.

9. Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please see Matthew 12:22-32.

10. Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yeah, yeah. The best interpretation unfortunately undermines irresistible grace, so has to be avoided in many circles.

Very simply, Jesus said, all will be saved except those who reject the Spirit's drawing and become hardened to the point they'll never accept Christ.

The Pharisees experienced this hardening evidenced by their reaction to an undeniable miracle. They resisted the Holy Spirit who drew them to Christ. That is the blasphemy that is not covered and will never be forgiven.

And this is the only explanation that doesn't' undermine the Gospel of salvation though faith and not by works.

11. Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is knowingly attributing His work to the Devil. Unless you were calling a miracle of God the work of the Devil in order to dissuade others from following Christ, I don't think you have to worry about that particular sin, (And even if you did, it's doubtful you really did it as the Pharisees accusing Christ of using the authority Beelzebub to cast out devils.)

Now. If you really were saved. you still are, because that which is born of God is incorruptible. You have been given eternal life, a life that cannot be killed, taken away or corrupted.

So, you're worried that you may be today's Judas. Cast that care upon Christ and trust Him to deal with it in truth and righteousness. He will not break a bruised reed, nor quench smoking flax. Know that where sin abounds, grace doth much more abound.

12. Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It's now official. I've heard this 12 million and 1 times. ......and now more convinced than ever it's wrong.

13. Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I've noticed eminently Scriptural answers tend to rub you the wrong way. :Thumbsup

14. Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Indeed, ones that throw the basic concept of salvation by faith and not by works under the bus.

15. Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    With respect, I think that this could be a good time to create a thread about it instead of hashing it out here.
    This thread is to encourage Tyler in his troubles, isn't it?;)

I suggest making one in "Baptist Theology and Bible Study".

May God bless you sir.

16. Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

May God bless you too, and may you take your own advice. Per this thread, I will respond to false claims about BOS. There's no way to give good advise to anyone on this subject, if you get the basic interpretation wrong.

17. Tyler New Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Thank you for your reply.

Though I have been doing my best to seek after the Lord through this for the past 2 years, nothing has changed regarding my heart or, seemingly, conscious. I still experience no conviction of sin or love for the Lord.
    You say that you have gone through something similar to this. With your experience, how do I keep my head above water? How, in light of everything that I'm experiencing that would point the the Spirit's abandonment, do I keep going? In the past, the Lord has been my strength, joy and encouragement through hardship. Now that it is gone, how do I keep going? I've asked for him to encourage my heart but it is still just as hard and unfeeling.
    Continuing to put one foot in front of the other seems so pointless and hopeless.

18. Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do your level best to obey the Lord, and to depart from iniquity.

Don't give in to your flesh, deny yourself, take up your cross and follow Him.
    Take it one step at a time, and remember, He is your Deliverer.
    The Spirit does not abandon those who are His.
    They are sealed until the day of redemption ( Ephesians 1:13-14, Ephesians 4:30 ).
    Are you sure about that?
    Going by what you are telling me, you are concerned about your relationship with the Lord, and seem grieved by your disobedience to Him.

Unbelievers do not have a heartfelt remorse for their sins, neither do they have a sincere respect for the Lord and a fear of His power.
    In other words, by your very own admission, you are gravely concerned about your relationship with God...
    Which unbeliever's don't really care about.

Don't go by feelings...trust His words.
    Read John 3 and Ephesians 2.
    Then read Colossians 3 and 1 John as well as Romans 12.
    And yet, soldier on is what you must do.

Remember your Saviour, and how He hung on the cross in suffering.
    Do you see Him giving up on you?
    If He would have, you would have had no hope for forgiveness.
    He would have never shed His blood, and God would have never imputed His righteousness to you.

Think of Him hanging on that tree the next time that you stumble into sin...
    Then think of Him the next time you doubt His love for you.
    You're forgiven ( Colossians 2:13-14 ).

Rest in that.;)

19. Tyler New Member

Faith:
    Baptist

I want to be clear. I don't have heartfelt remorse over my sin. I fear condemnation. That's what I feel anyway. I have never wanted to leave Christ, but I don't feel any love for him anymore.

Can I trust these promises if I see no work of the Spirit in my life? It seems foolish to do so with no sign of the Holy Spirit's work in me. It seems that I would be comforting myself when there is no evidence that these things should comfort me. Like a false convert believing he'll be okay regardless of no evidence of new birth. If I see no evidence of new birth anymore, but overwhelming evidence to the contrary, can I trust that the Lord has not left?

20. Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This is starting to feel troll thread, BTH.